• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Trouble Between Religions

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
While this may be ( slightly) off topic It might be relevent ( just lol) On a TV discussion show this morning a question was asked about whither Christians are persecuted in this day and age, because some are not alowed to wear crosses or pray for hospital patience. Most of the christians who answered said yes they were ( persecuted). A Christian minister answerd also and said that no they werent they were just used to getting there own way and have never had to learn to cope with other. Which I though was a BRILLIANT answer.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Narayanjot Kaur:
I appreciate your previous post very much but speaking for myself I can let my intellect sometimes complicate simple issues. One of my favorite saints Sri Paramahansa Ramakrishna experienced most religions and for lack of a better term found them all valuable, that is to say he found a commonality in them all that was good. He determined that all religions worshipped God and not a false one and that all religions could lead to liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth whether it was in their belief system or not because they worked to absolve karma. So in general all religions were heading in the same direction. Of course dogma and doctrine and make things cloudy sometimes but I am an optimist in such matters.

It is not my position that all religions are the same, that would be really stupid of me, but they have much more in common than many will admit.

Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban ji

In fact I agree more than I disagree with your perspective, and also find the sentiments expressed by Sri Paramahansa Ramakrishna as important. That is why for me it is important to find those areas where religions are in agreement; but to do that and also preserve the differences.

It concerns me when intelligent people think that differences lead to conflict and dissension, and possibly even to gruesome oppression. It has rather been the case in history that the desire to eliminate differences has led to gruesome results.

"Religions" ask about the same fundamental questions. And you mentioned "karma." Yes our ethical relationship with one another, with the environment, with the universe and with the Creator -- is a fundamental concern of religion and is one reason why humans seek religion in their lives. One religion may understand the ethical/moral in terms of "karma", and another will reject the idea of "karma" for deep seated philosophical reasons. Those are the differences that I would like to respect. But the concern for how to live our lives with accountability. ethically and morally, is one and the same. That would be the area of sameness which I would like to honor.

Diversity and unity can co-exist. Once again I appreciate as always your thoughtful comments.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Sister:
As I was reading what is your customary well thought out and logical post what started bouncing in my head and I don't know why it didn't occur before is the poison that Lord Shiva did not swallow and that is the notion of Abrahamic faiths that their faith is the only true religion. That is one hell of an impediment to what you and I are talking about religious tolerance. There can't be religious tolerance with a lot of proselytizing going on can there? One day I will tell how my Southern Baptist family has treated me.

Peace
Satyaban

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: