• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Things Animals Wished Humans Knew

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I know pet lovers and those who connect with animals have this uncanny feeling sometimes that runs at the back of their mind that the animals are trying to convey a message to us, it's just that we don't understand exactly what.

This thread is opened to pour out your heart's feelings for those animals who made a difference in your lives, making it richer and more fulfilled. A pinch of humor is expected. When I was working on a Telco satellite project in Laos/Vietnam border, I was stationed in a room upstairs a restaurant. The lady owner was quite comfortable with my stay there but she warned me of her dog, a full term pregnant German Shepherd. She said, everyone is afraid to go near her and she holds no responsibility if I went close to her. Being a dog lover, I talked to her dog and everyone thought I was nuts, as nobody goes talking to dogs there. They eat dogs instead. Yuck!!!

One evening, I decided to discard my old hair brush and instead of throwing it away, I brushed her fur, giving more attention on places she would have difficulty reaching for a scratch. The next day, I was told she delivered her pups and nobody was allowed to go near them. So I kept my distance.

The next morning, I went to the wet market in the remote village where I was staying. While buying my vegetables, this German Shepherd came to me and put her front paws on my hip for a while and then disappeared away. All the villagers were shocked and told me that this dog only attacks people and they gave me a lot of respect after that.

I went back to my quarters and wondered, "Did the dog say Thank You?"
I mean she sure did, there was no doubt about it.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Wonderful story astroboyji,

My dogs, although they are more my wifes dogs, are currently teaching me about god, sometimes I am unsure as to how exactly how I should feel, but when I see them looking at my wife, it is clear what I should be aspiring to.

My dogs have taught me of the importance of sharing love, and also of giving love without any thanks or something in return. Much to the disgust of some members of my family, our dogs sleep with us, so in the middle of the night, sometimes I have no idea who I am cuddling, and on many occasions I have woken to find myself nuzzling Dan (as he sleeps in the middle).

I think both dogs are quite spiritual, and that comes from my wife, they are good dogs, very passive, and when they look at us, we both know what they are saying just from eyes. We did get another dog, my wife picked up a staffy, and I got to realise what a bad dog is like., it was almost like he wanted to be good, but could not help being bad, his first job was to get all the boys toys together, put them in a big pile, and then patrol round it slowly and bite anyone that tried to get a toy, in the end, a few days later, Dan had scars, Alfie had scars, and ,watching him go for Dans throat later , my wife pinned him down, and in his eyes you could see, 'hey what have i done, im just doing what i thought was ok', since then its just been our dogs, the 3 cats and the 4 ferrets and a large spider that lives in the kitchen that I am forbidden from squishing

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
since then its just been our dogs, the 3 cats and the 4 ferrets and a large spider that lives in the kitchen that I am forbidden from squishing

That's awesome.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Anyone seen the movie - Rise of the Planets of the Apes?

Review

by Lester Gan Wai Lun

Star Rating:
Overall:
Watch this if you liked: “Planet of the Apes” , “King Kong” and “Avatar”

Being one of the highly anticipated movies of 2011, director Rupert Wyatt ("The Escapist" and "Get The Picture") delivers a rich, clever and highly rewarding film with "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes". When it comes to the tough task of creating an origin story that must live up to the expectations of die-hard fans of the 1968 release of "Planet Of The Apes", Rupert Wyatt is the perfect man for the job.

Set in present day San Francisco, the timeline of this movie is by all means confusing when one treats it as a prequel to the 1968 release. However, like Rupert Wyatt said, the movie is not the continuation of previous ones; it's an original origin story. So taking that into account, the movie is just simply magical. The "X-Men: First Class" to the "Planet Of The Apes" franchise if you will, where the story instills elements from all previous films, but at the same time isn't necessarily linked to them. Fans of the franchise will get to watch and experience a more subtle take of how Caesar (Andy Serkis) came to be (at least one that makes sense and is believable), which eventually leads to the onset of war for supremacy between man and ape.

James Franco ("127 hours" and "Spiderman") as scientist Will Rodman was outstanding, getting every aspect of his character right, portraying a devoted scientist with a strong hint of compassion perfectly. The same goes for Andy Serkis, widely known for his character as Gollum in the "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy, he was put to the test once again, this time having to portray a chimpanzee with human-like characteristics, and did an impeccable job while at it. The rest of the cast members held very menial roles, but as the movie plays on the big screen, audiences will soon realise how they are every bit just as necessary for the movie to be as great as it is.

The plot is a mysterious one, leaving the audience with many unanswered questions, which feels like a build up for a sequel of different possibilities. However on the action side of things, it was phenomenal and possibly the best of its kind, with the right amount of well staged action, but at the same time huge enough to be satisfying and also counting in the fact that it is brought to you by the same team that gave you the special effects of "Avatar", moviegoers can rest assured that they will experience apes in the most realistic form possible (as compared to the previous films where it was just men in ape suits and make up).

To sum it up, "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" is a refreshing addition to the franchise, creating a platform where sequels can be built upon. A must watch for fans of the franchise and moviegoers alike.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM