• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General The Two Branches Of Sikhism

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kanwaljit ji

I think you are right about that Yet where is the teacher who should have corrected glaring inaccuracies?

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I'm not sure what the problem is because if you ask anyone in your neighbourhood in the west (who is not brown/indian), then they will tell you something similar when describing sikh people.
They will most likely say that there are 2 types, the orthadox one's with turbans & beards, and then the ones with turbans/trimmed beards or haircuts that can hold their drink and can always be spotted in the bars having a good time !

Some years back I was actively involved in a survey that asked general non-indian citizens 'what they know about sikh people ?'

The most common answers were-
-They wear turbans.
-They wear this steel bangle.
-They are hard workers always accepting overtime and awkward hours.
-They have their own business in nearly every field, ie.Doctors, lawyers, accountants, bus drivers, taxi drivers, food stores...etc..
-They have these great big weddings with loads of free flowing food and liquor!
- The men can Handle and Hold their drink !
- They are very friendly and generous
- They know how to have a good time and party especially when they do that bangra dancing !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The web page was from a school in the state of Oregon/US.

I thought that education and interfaith dialog was supposed to overcome stereotypes! Joke is on me and it is not even April 1. Just between you and me, that is more than the average person in the US knows. Leaving the score at UK ? / US almost 0 / State of Oregon In Progress !!!!!!!!!!!!

We have to roll up our sleeves. There is a lot of work to do!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM