• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sects The 3HO Debate Thread

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
The 3HO Debate Thread
Please keep it clean and cool

WJKK WJKF

Today I was quite alarmed to find out about several sites that where on 3HO and its former leader “yogi” Bhajan. I’m sure we have all heard about this group and it’s various “controversies” that have come up over the years. There is allot of info and opinions out there, and one can overwhelmed by who’s word is true or wrong. So I started this thread to ask the sangats view on anything to do with the 3HO foundation and it’s followers.

Let’s put some facts on the table and get the debate rolling. To make it “fair” I have made a list of “for” and “against” points to make sure there is a balance. These points are not necessarily opinions, but a number of opinions/facts that have come up over the years.
(if you see a point that is missing, please PM me about it)

3HO and their values, foundation, followers: Against
(More may be added)

-Some say that Yogi Bhajan is treated “like a guru” by some of his followers
-There have been allegations of sexual misconduct towards several Bhajan close contacts
-The often call themselves “American sikhs” but who is really American to them?
-some of the yoga classes/events have been called “hypnotist” in nature
-some of Bhajan’s teachings have been criticized as distorting true sikhi values
-The group has often been called a “cult” from some the practices the group uses
-Their summer solstice camps have been called “brainwashing” and “secretive”
-Many have noted the secrecy and “deceptive” behavior by the leaders/followers of 3HO
-Yogi Bhajan has been called the “sikh dhama” and “singh sahib”

3HO and their values, foundation, followers: For
(more may be added)

-there have been many ppl who have “turned their life around” from previous evils
-There have been seva and selfless service to the communities 3HO has entered
-Many consider 3HO a progressive group for “spreading” sikhi
-Charities and fund raisers for “good” causes and a recent “khalsa” School
-many have said that the groups values are not in conflict of sikhi values/principles
-The community has made a so-called positive image of sikhi n the west.

Ok, well now it’s your turn, please tell us about what you think about 3Ho and their customs, events, practices, values and the organization itself (leaders too). Please try to refrain from harmful language and outbursts of anger. Also, please try to quote articles/books/scriptures to back up your point. In the end, just keep it cool!

Note: again, please PM if you think a point should be added to the list!
Note to Mods: please do not close this thread, it is important that we get the sangat’s view point on this matter, as there has been a lot of confusion/information on this matter, thanks!

-BB

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
Nobody has replied to this, that's intresting.

I am not to aware of this group, but I have seen the Desi DNA TV show article on it. Based purley on that I don't have see what' so wrong with this group. Nobody is forced to follow this Yogi, the people seem really happy and are ( by the looks of it) so devoted to the religion and get up early to pray etc. As for the term "American sikh" perhaps they are caling themselves that because they are based in America, just a shot in the dark lol.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
vegangoth ji

It is interesting that the only thread where a sect/subdivision/path of sikhism is being "debated" is this one and the "debate" is about 3HO. Doesn't seem right to me whenwe don't have an Udaasi debate thread, a Nirmala debate thread, a Nihang debate thread, and so forth.

You made some very interesting observations. Thanks :wah:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
So long that they follow the Sikh Rehat Maryada, its ok with me.
If they want add-ons, then they should NOT be conflicting in interest with mainstream Sikhi.

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
vegangoth ji

It is interesting that the only thread where a sect/subdivision/path of sikhism is being "debated" is this one and the "debate" is about 3HO. Doesn't seem right to me whenwe don't have an Udaasi debate thread, a Nirmala debate thread, a Nihang debate thread, and so forth.

You made some very interesting observations. Thanks :wah:

wow I have NEVER heard of all of those groups you mentioned. I feel a "Google" expidition coming on lol.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM