• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Tension Imminent As Police 'help' Taksal Occupy Nihang Headquarters

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Tension imminent as police 'help' Taksal occupy Nihang headquarters

Tuesday, July,23 2013 - 15:28

5824dhumma,%20nihangs.jpg

AMRITSAR:
The Nihangs across Punjab are embittered as certain factions of Sikh community continue to drive them out from gurdwaras. In yet another move which may fuel violence between Nihangs and Damdami Taksal, the latter’s chief Harnam Singh Bhindranwale allegedly took help of Majitha police in occupying land of Gurdwara Hargobind Sahib possessed by Shiromani Panth Akali Tarna Dal of Mehta Chowk in Amritsar.

The trouble dates back to July 13, 2011 when Taksal chief appointed Ajit Singh as chief of Tarna Dal Mehta Chowk. The Dal had already appointed T{censored}m Singh its chief on July 4, 2011 after Sukha Singh’s demise. Nihangs say that Taksal had no right to interfere in their affairs.

Earlier, Ajit Singh and his followers with support of Harnam Singh and Majitha police, have occupied Gurdwara Singh Belan on Baba Bakala road, Gurdwara Hargobind Sahib at Mehta Chowk.

It needs no mention here that Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) had roped in Harnam Singh Bhindranwale during 2012 Punjab assembly polls to garner support of radical factions and Sant Samaj.

Taksal chief has ever since been a force to reckon with in Punjab enjoying support from Punjab police as well. The Majitha police are now in an attempt to force Tarna Dal (Nihangs) to vacate stables which are part of Gurdwara Hargbind Sahib, where the Nihangs live with their horses.

Balwinder Singh, son of Dal-appointed chief T{censored}m Singh said, “Around 4 am on Monday, the police raided our stables and took away 25 horses, four tractor-trailers, four carts and a palanquin. They also took away two minor caretakers. This brazen use of force is being done at behest of Taksal chief.”

He also alleged that police picked up seven Nihangs of Tarna Dal on July 16 without registering any case against them.

“I had to move habeas corpus petition in Punjab and Haryana High Court for appointment of a warrant officer to get them released,” Singh disclosed.

The warrant officer on July 18 raided Beas police station and recovered the seven Nihangs.

Another Nihang Nishan Singh said the police had illegally detained the Nihangs and tortured them to put pressure on Tarna Dal to vacate their gurdwara property and stables. The Taksal chief is after our property, he alleged.

Former Akal Takht Jathedar Jasbir Singh Rode, Harnam Singh’s confidant said he was trying to pacify both the groups.

Meanwhile, Amritsar (rural) SSP Manmohan Singh denied that police force was under any pressure from Damdami Taksal. He said the Tarna Dal needs to vacate all the places of the Gurdwara Hargobind Sahib as earlier been discussed between the two groups so that the matter could be resolved in an amicable manner.

Regarding recovery of illegal detainees from Beas police station, the SSP said they had been taken there as the lockups at Mehta police station were under repair.

He said police force have been deployed any untoward incident or violence between the groups.

source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/news/...-help-taksal-occupy-nihang-headquarters/83285

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing. — Macbeth (Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17-28)

When all the "dals" and "takts" and all the splinter groups that comprise their constituencies end their strutting in the Chowk, stop issuing manifestos, and quit stepping on each other's lines, only to subdivide a shrinking pool of political influence, the panth will become a panth. There are no good guys and bad guys in this story. There are however winners and losers.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2012
SICK...not "sikh"...these people are NOT SIKHS..they are SICK.

I'm sorry but that is just a cop out.

They ARE Sikh. Mentally 'excommunicating' backwards Sikhs so that we don't have to face up to some of the sad and often grim realities of our community isn't going to help change anything ever.

I may not have a solution but I know ignoring problems is definitely a bad move. I look at the actions of many apnay these days (especially in India) and see little but selfish, backward, myopic idiocy. Rural pendus in some alternate world/parallel universe.

It's like Gurdas Maan said: You want to make 100 monkeys fight - throw a banana inbetween them.

Jun 5, 2013
When all the "dals" and "takts" and all the splinter groups that comprise their constituencies end their strutting in the Chowk, stop issuing manifestos, and quit stepping on each other's lines, only to subdivide a shrinking pool of political influence, the panth will become a panth. There are no good guys and bad guys in this story. There are however winners and losers.

Yet it is the SGPC who was created to cause the division, and is causing most of it.

The bhudda dal should have jathedari of akal takht, like tradition, for one thing.

Politics is the game of the weak.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yet it is the SGPC who was created to cause the division, and is causing most of it.

The bhudda dal should have jathedari of akal takht, like tradition, for one thing.

Politics is the game of the weak.

Even if I were to agree that the British caused this problem by creating the SGPC (even if I did agree), we have to abandon the mindset that we are victims of history. If you want to lead me into the future, you have to convince me that you are worthy to lead. As I said there are no bad guys an good guys in this picture. In my opinion there a plenty of egos nonetheless.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM