• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 9 Sabad 1 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੯ ਸਬਦ ੧

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.

Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ਜੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਰਬ ਮੈ ਪੇਖੈ ਭਗਵਾਨੁ
Ur ḏẖārai jo anṯar nām. Sarab mai pekẖai bẖagvān.
One who keeps self heart always aware of the creator. Sees the creator embedded in all.
ਨਿਮਖ ਨਿਮਖ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਨਮਸਕਾਰੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਓਹੁ ਅਪਰਸੁ ਸਗਲ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੈ ੧॥
Nimakẖ nimakẖ ṯẖākur namaskārai. Nānak oh apras sagal nisṯārai. ||1||
One thankful to the creator with every blinking moment. Such beyond reproach helps all to salvation.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn.

ਮਿਥਿਆ ਨਾਹੀ ਰਸਨਾ ਪਰਸ ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦਰਸ
Mithi▫ā nāhī rasnā paras. Man mėh parīṯ niranjan ḏaras.
One who utters no lies. Lovingly in mind visualizes the untainted creator.

ਪਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਅ ਰੂਪੁ ਪੇਖੈ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਸਾਧ ਕੀ ਟਹਲ ਸੰਤਸੰਗਿ ਹੇਤ
Par ṯari▫a rūp na pekẖai neṯar. Sāḏẖ kī tahal saṯsang heṯ.
One not lusting of other’s woman. Serves the pious and keeps company of the learned.

ਕਰਨ ਸੁਨੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੀ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਜਾਨੈ ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੰਦਾ
Karan na sunai kāhū kī ninḏā. Sabẖ ṯe jānai āpas ka▫o manḏā.
Whose ears do not hear criticism of others. Sees self as the bad one compared to all others.

ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਪਰਹਰੈ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਬਾਸਨਾ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਟਰੈ
Gur parsāḏ bikẖi▫ā parharai. Man kī bāsnā man ṯe tarai.
With creator’s blessing such detaches from worldly possessions. Mind’s temptations are dissipated.

ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀ ਜਿਤ ਪੰਚ ਦੋਖ ਤੇ ਰਹਤ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੋਟਿ ਮਧੇ ਕੋ ਐਸਾ ਅਪਰਸ ੧॥
Inḏrī jiṯ pancẖ ḏokẖ ṯe rahaṯ. Nānak kot maḏẖe ko aisā apras. ||1||
One winning over mental faculties eliminates the five maladies. Nanak such few one in ten million.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji define who to be beyond reproach. Constantly aware of the creator, sees creator embedded in all, thankful to the creator in every living moment, such is the guide to salvation.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 9,
1[/FONT]st stanza elaborate further. One uttering no lies, sees the creator as untainted, does not lust of other’s spouse, keeps company of the learned, does not listen to bad about others but sees self to be most deficient, with creator’s blessing such delinks from worldly temptations as such are so dissipated.

Guru ji conclude to be such and free of five thieves, it is to be one in millions.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I was thinking the other day. If you move away from a person (like change of city) or just stop calling them, you in a way remember and love them less. That is why 24x7 Simran is so important for us. So that our love and devotion for Guru never wanes down. And that is why it is so hard.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I was thinking the other day. If you move away from a person (like change of city) or just stop calling them, you in a way remember and love them less. That is why 24x7 Simran is so important for us. So that our love and devotion for Guru never wanes down. And that is why it is so hard.
Kanwaljit Singh ji thanks for your post.

If I were to take slight liberty with your following sentence,
That is why 24x7 Simran is so important for us.
So that we don't get the nodding parrot brigade going what did we tell you!

"24x7 Simran" meaning that I have gotten so far, entails being continuously aware of the creator all around and treating all creation as of the creator 24x7. Everything else needs this base to build from for the persona of a perfect Sikh living in this world as a practical and functioning member of society.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Simran = continuously aware of the creator

There is no nodding parrot anywhere :)

You are right, this has to be the base to build from. But we think about other things which are 'easier' to achieve, like uncut hair, kara, kirpan, some Paath recitation here and there.
Now in terms of the highlighted and noted below,
But we think about other things which are 'easier' to achieve, like uncut hair, kara, kirpan, ...
These to me are recognition and respect of our heritage for many who perished to save Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, teachers, Guru ji. With lack of such respect one would lose the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji connection pretty fast, and far too many have done so already. Hard to generalize but I believe so.

Just some thoughts.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: By the way Kanwaljit Singh ji have you studied Astpadi 8 Sabad 8. Even though I created the draft way back when I reviewed it for posting and made corrections, I felt incredible brillance in thought, way of conveying a message and the patience of developing a message shown by Guru Arjan Dev ji. I was more or less in respectful awe in the wonderful teacher.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Yes that is true but keeping uncut hair is not the supposed outcome of Sikhi. Uncut hair helps us see how we were Created, in our True and Complete form.

(That is why I like snow. Until it is cleared up by the authorities, the snow covers the whole world of mine, just as it was supposed to.)

Whereas Sikhi is about us becoming Spiritual and connecting to Waheguru. Sikhi should infuse the awareness of Kartar in each and every moment/action of our life.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Focus is on word
ਪੇਖੈ is visualisation/imagintion/realisation

Our eyes are instrument to see, and mind stores the image,
for physical objects one can visualise and imagine.

For abstract matter one can imagine and realise
ਪੇਖੈ like flow of air inside body, flows of atom inside body

the creator comes in imagination and is realised

the state of mind formed is

ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ਜੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਰਬ ਮੈ ਪੇਖੈ ਭਗਵਾਨੁ
Ur ḏẖārai jo anṯar nām. Sarab mai pekẖai bẖagvān.
One who keeps self heart always aware of the creator. Sees the creator embedded in all.
Who understands the creator's form and appear's to mind as "NAAMu", that one realises, creator in all his creation, one ego (I) is dissolved. and achieves salvation

ਨਿਮਖ ਨਿਮਖ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਨਮਸਕਾਰੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਓਹੁ ਅਪਰਸੁ ਸਗਲ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੈ ੧॥
Nimakẖ nimakẖ ṯẖākur namaskārai. Nānak oh apras sagal nisṯārai. ||1||
One thankful to the creator with every blinking moment. Such beyond reproach helps all to salvation.

One always remember and is thakful to creator for salvation, who gets can relieves others of cyclic thoughts which come and go.

Peace comes with freedom of mind from thoughts.

Further ellaborates the life ways of such "STATE OF MIND"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki FAateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: