• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 6 Sabad 8 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੬ ਸਬਦ ੮

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਅਰੁ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਅਹੰਮੇਵ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣਾਗਤੀ ਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ੧॥
Kām kroḏẖ ar lobẖ moh binas jā▫e ahaʼnmev. Nānak parabẖ sarṇāgaṯī kar parsāḏ gurḏev. ||1||
Lust, anger, greed, attachment and egotism may banish. O lord creator, Nanak has humbly come to your presence seeking such benevolence.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਆਪਿ ਜਪਾਏ ਜਪੈ ਸੋ ਨਾਉ ਆਪਿ ਗਾਵਾਏ ਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਉ
Āp japā▫e japai so nā▫o. Āp gāvā▫ai so har gun gā▫o.
Only such cherish who are so encouraged by such. One speaks of virtue if so encouraged by such.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਹੋਇ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਇਆ ਤੇ ਕਮਲ ਬਿਗਾਸੁ
Parabẖ kirpā ṯe ho▫e pargās. Parabẖū ḏa▫i▫ā ṯe kamal bigās.
Through creator’s benevolence happens enlightenment. Through creator’s benevolence heart blossoms like lotus.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੁਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਬਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਸੋਇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਦਇਆ ਤੇ ਮਤਿ ਊਤਮ ਹੋਇ
Parabẖ suparsan basai man so▫e. Parabẖ ḏa▫i▫ā ṯe maṯ ūṯam ho▫e.
When creator is enthralled, it resides in such mind. Through creator’s mercy intellect is improved.

ਸਰਬ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੇਰੀ ਮਇਆ ਆਪਹੁ ਕਛੂ ਕਿਨਹੂ ਲਇਆ
Sarab niḏẖān parabẖ ṯerī ma▫i▫ā. Āphu kacẖẖū na kinhū la▫i▫ā.
Oh creator, all treasures are under your merciful gaze. No one gets anything by themselves.

ਜਿਤੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਲਗਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਥ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਨ ਕੈ ਕਛੂ ਹਾਥ ੮॥੬॥
Jiṯ jiṯ lāvhu ṯiṯ lagėh har nāth. Nānak in kai kacẖẖū na hāth. ||8||6||
Lord as you direct so are such engaged. Nanak, such control nothing themselves.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state the five mental attributes that affect living. These being lust, anger, greed, attachment and egotism. Guru ji pray to be blessed so these are banished.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 6, 8th and final stanza of Astpadi 6th provide a perspective on how we sustain in creator’s benevolence. This including the fundamental aspect of even seeking or understanding the virtues of the creator. The hunger for understanding, guiding of intellect to seek such Guru ji ascribe to the creator. Guru ji conclude that all is part of the creator’s domain and all prevails such.

With this we have completed six of the 24 Astpadis or 25% of the Sukhmani Sahib composition.
Note: I will take a one week break and post further starting with Astpadi 7 around February 4th, 2012.

Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM