• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 6 Sabad 1 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੬ ਸਬਦ ੧

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਅਰੁ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਅਹੰਮੇਵ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣਾਗਤੀ ਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ੧॥
Kām kroḏẖ ar lobẖ moh binas jā▫e ahaʼnmev. Nānak parabẖ sarṇāgaṯī kar parsāḏ gurḏev. ||1||
Lust, anger, greed, attachment and egotism may banish. O lord creator, Nanak has humbly come to your presence seeking such benevolence.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਛਤੀਹ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਖਾਹਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕਉ ਰਖੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ
Jih parsāḏ cẖẖaṯīh amriṯ kẖāhi. Ŧis ṯẖākur ka▫o rakẖ man māhi.
By whose benevolence you eat thirty six tasty meals. Keep such lord in your mind.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸੁਗੰਧਤ ਤਨਿ ਲਾਵਹਿ ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਪਰਮ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਵਹਿ
Jih parsāḏ suganḏẖaṯ ṯan lāvėh. Ŧis ka▫o simraṯ param gaṯ pāvahi.
Through whose benevolence you apply fragrances to your body. Through cherishing such higher stature will be achieved.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਸੁਖ ਮੰਦਰਿ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਧਿਆਇ ਸਦਾ ਮਨ ਅੰਦਰਿ
Jih parsāḏ basėh sukẖ manḏar. Ŧisėh ḏẖi▫ā▫e saḏā man anḏar.
Through whose benevolence you live in a comfortable abode. Such be of awareness always in your mind.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਸੰਗਿ ਸੁਖ ਬਸਨਾ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਰਸਨਾ
Jih parsāḏ garih sang sukẖ basnā. Āṯẖ pahar simrahu ṯis rasnā.
Through whose benevolence you live comfortably with your family. Virtues of such be on your tongue twenty four hours.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਰੰਗ ਰਸ ਭੋਗ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਦਾ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਧਿਆਵਨ ਜੋਗ ੧॥
Jih parsāḏ rang ras bẖog. Nānak saḏā ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai ḏẖi▫āvan jog. ||1||
Through whose benevolence you taste pleasures and happiness. Nanak, always be aware of such so worthy of attention.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state the five mental attributes that affect living. These being lust, anger, greed, attachment and egotism. Guru ji pray to be blessed so these are banished.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 6, 1st stanza remind us that the one through whose benevolence we eat well, body rejuvenated, live in comfortable home and family. We should be always aware, cherish, day and night let the speech so reflect, as such is the worthy one, that has given us all that we live with.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਅਰੁ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਅਹੰਮੇਵ ॥

When I listen to this pauree, I believe that 5 vices are destructible. I believe I don't have to wait till death for them to end.

I believe in Guru Gobind Singh.

I believe in Guru Granth Sahib.

Akaal Sahai.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Kanwaljitji

If you destroy the five vices, in my view, you would be dead....

Vices only become vices if you allow them, I wager each vice would not be a vice if used sensibly, conquering brings too much agitation and little understanding, what understanding does an alcoholic have who avoids alcohol, but is still plagued by the need to drink?

A healthy desire to learn and enrich ones knowledge could be called Lust
To not let others take control of a situation where they are clearly unqualified could be called Ego
To not want to be downtrodden on and to stand up for ones self could be called Anger
To want to live and live a life that prolonged life by healthy eating and lifestyle could be called Greed
To love and cherish ones parents could be called attachment

Vices are like weapons, they are dangerous, they can damage, but sometimes they are needed, and all the time they need to be used and not given authority, they are servants not masters,

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Maybe that is what Gurbani asks us to do:

ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲਾ ਹਉਮੈ ਤਜਿ ਵਿਕਾਰ

Saṯgur sev man nirmalā ha▫umai ṯaj vikār.

Serving the True Guru, the mind becomes immaculate and pure; egotism and corruption are discarded.

ਆਪੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰੈ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਵੀਚਾਰ

Āp cẖẖod jīvaṯ marai gur kai sabaḏ vīcẖār.

So abandon your selfishness, and remain dead while yet alive. Contemplate the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

ਧੰਧਾ ਧਾਵਤ ਰਹਿ ਗਏ ਲਾਗਾ ਸਾਚਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ

Ḏẖanḏẖā ḏẖāvaṯ rėh ga▫e lāgā sācẖ pi▫ār.

The pursuit of worldly affairs comes to an end, when you embrace love for the True One.

ਸਚਿ ਰਤੇ ਮੁਖ ਉਜਲੇ ਤਿਤੁ ਸਾਚੈ ਦਰਬਾਰਿ ॥੪॥

Sacẖ raṯe mukẖ ujle ṯiṯ sācẖai ḏarbār. ||4||

Those who are attuned to Truth-their faces are radiant in the Court of the True Lord. ||4||

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਅਰੁ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਅਹੰਮੇਵ ॥

When I listen to this pauree, I believe that 5 vices are destructible. I believe I don't have to wait till death for them to end.

I believe in Guru Gobind Singh.

I believe in Guru Granth Sahib.

Akaal Sahai.
Veer Kanwaljit Singh ji I think we need to be careful in making grand conclusions out of single pangtis/sentence(s) or even single sabad.

To tell you the truth I felt like you even though I originally was of the thoughts shared by Harry veer ji. For example the "Five Thieves ..." thread.

After some thought I have come to the conclusion to keep reading and learning more and not conclude while trying to understand.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
VeerJios

I may have found an answer that keeps everyone happy, I give you my ideal lifespan of a thief

1. Thieves appear and start making demands
2. Awareness of Thieves starts, conflict then begins between pleasure from thieves, and mental agitation together with physical consequences of Thievery
3. Understanding of Thieves takes place, moderation begins
4. Friendships and understandings take place between Thieves and self
5. Such peaceful co existence takes place, goals are achieved, lives are lived as householder and student of enlightenment.
6. Thieves are still present but working with self towards enlightenment and realisation, some might call it the road the Sachkhand.
7. Sachkhand is reached, the Thieves at this point fade away to nothing, now begins the death while still alive.

So, in my view ultimately, yes, the thieves are no more, they are not slayed or conquered, they adopt role of horses to reach Sachkhand, self adopts the role of chariot and of steering the horses, and once there, they fade away, there is no purpose for them anymore, they have fulfilled their destiny of the essence in them given by Creator.

So, I also agree with you Kanwaljitji, however, I know of no man that has reached this point, so in my view it is pointless trying to do battle on a daily basis, or trying to destroy them, hitch them to your chariot, let them carry you, but ultimately, you cannot enter Sachkhand with them

P.S. I would also point out that the Thieves also act as a natural checking system given that we are not in Sachkhand (blissful state of mind) to protect us and to drive us, however, once in Sachkhand we have no need for them, as they are taking up valuable space in our heads that essence of Creator could be using

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Very well stated my Veer Harry Haller ji.

I have some thoughts to start a separate thread over the next few days.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM