• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 4 Sabad 8 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੪ ਸਬਦ ੮

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਨਿਰਗੁਨੀਆਰ ਇਆਨਿਆ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਦਾ ਸਮਾਲਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ਤਿਸੁ ਚੀਤਿ ਰਖੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਬਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ ੧॥
Nirgunī▫ār i▫āni▫ā so parabẖ saḏā samāl. Jin kī▫ā ṯis cẖīṯ rakẖ Nānak nibhī nāl. ||1||
The virtue-less and not knowing one, remember the creator always. Remember the one who created, Guru Nanak, as such will sustain throughout.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਤੂ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਤੁਮ ਪਹਿ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਰਾਸਿ
Ŧū ṯẖākur ṯum pėh arḏās. Jī▫o pind sabẖ ṯerī rās.
You (creator) are the provider and this is a prayer to you. The body and soul are your alms.

ਤੁਮ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਹਮ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਤੇਰੇ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਮਹਿ ਸੂਖ ਘਨੇਰੇ
Ŧum māṯ piṯā ham bārik ṯere. Ŧumrī kirpā mėh sūkẖ gẖanere.
You are mother and father and us your children. Your grace provides many comforts.

ਕੋਇ ਜਾਨੈ ਤੁਮਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਊਚੇ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ਭਗਵੰਤ
Ko▫e na jānai ṯumrā anṯ. Ūcẖe ṯe ūcẖā bẖagvanṯ.
No one knows your limits. Highest of the high generous provider.

ਸਗਲ ਸਮਗ੍ਰੀ ਤੁਮਰੈ ਸੂਤ੍ਰਿ ਧਾਰੀ ਤੁਮ ਤੇ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਆਗਿਆਕਾਰੀ
Sagal samagrī ṯumrai suṯir ḏẖārī. Ŧum ṯe ho▫e so āgi▫ākārī.
All creation is connected per your dictate. What has come of you is following your direction.

ਤੁਮਰੀ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਤੁਮ ਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਸਦਾ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੀ ੮॥੪॥
Ŧumrī gaṯ miṯ ṯum hī jānī. Nānak ḏās saḏā kurbānī. ||8||4||
Your being, extent and ways only you know. Guru Nanak, humble servant forever gives self.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji describe ourselves as spoiled children of the creator. Guru ji say that instead one needs to always remember the creator that sustains in all phases of our lives.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 4, 8th sabad and final stanza is the pauri that is so associated with Ardas and most familiar. It is the fundamental essence of the ardas or prayer that Guru ji directly give.

It is a thank you to the creator that all body and comforts are provided by you. You are the father and mothers. We do not know your limits and you are most esteemed. The whole creation you have made like a string and it just follows as created. Creator only you know the limits, the ways and we always dedicate self to you.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
These morning readings give me much to think about, it is wonderful seva Ambarsariaji, your essences I find faultless

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM