• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 2 Sabad 2 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨ ਸਬਦ ੨

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok
ਦੀਨ ਦਰਦ ਦੁਖ ਭੰਜਨਾ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਨਾਥ ਅਨਾਥ ਸਰਣਿ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੀ ਆਇਓ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਾਥ ੧॥
Ḏīn ḏaraḏ ḏukẖ bẖanjnā gẖat gẖat nāth anāth. Saraṇ ṯumĥārī ā▫i▫o Nānak ke parabẖ sāth. ||1||
The saviour from misery and hurt of the poor, the helper of the forlorn. I am at your door creator, holding the coattails of Guru Nanak

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Eight stanzas hymn.

ਸਗਲ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕੋ ਰਾਜਾ ਦੁਖੀਆ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਹੋਇ ਸੁਖੀਆ
Sagal sarisat ko rājā ḏukẖī▫ā. Har kā nām japaṯ ho▫e sukẖī▫ā.
King of the universe is unhappy in spite of so being. By understanding the creator, such finds comfort.
ਲਾਖ ਕਰੋਰੀ ਬੰਧੁ ਪਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਨਿਸਤਰੈ
Lākẖ karorī banḏẖ na parai. Har kā nām japaṯ nisṯarai.
Amassing hundreds of thousands or millions, one does not stop. Understanding the creator, one reaches salvation.
ਅਨਿਕ ਮਾਇਆ ਰੰਗ ਤਿਖ ਬੁਝਾਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਆਘਾਵੈ
Anik mā▫i▫ā rang ṯikẖ na bujẖāvai. Har kā nām japaṯ āgẖāvai.

With many attractions of worldly pleasures, the thirst is not quenched. Understanding the creator, one finds contentment.
ਜਿਹ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਇਹੁ ਜਾਤ ਇਕੇਲਾ ਤਹ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੰਗਿ ਹੋਤ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ
Jih mārag ih jāṯ ikelā. Ŧah har nām sang hoṯ suhelā.
The paths that one travels alone. There, creator’s understanding provides comfort of companionship.
ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਨ ਸਦਾ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਮ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈਐ ੨॥
Aisā nām man saḏā ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai. Nānak gurmukẖ param gaṯ pā▫ī▫ai. ||2||
Such an understanding one should always seek. Guru Nanak, through the teacher Guru one is exalted.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji sets the objective of discourse in Astpadi 2. In understanding of the creator solutions are found for the forsaken, deserted, misery and, sickness. Guru ji humbly submit to the aware company of the creator.

Guru Arjan Dev ji state in Astpadi 2nd, 2nd Sabad that many a situation of Kingly living, millionaires, worldly pleasures are accompanied by unhappiness and discontent. In finding creator’s understanding one so finds missing happiness and comfort.

Such understanding and associated living in consonance make the difference.

Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

Guru Sahib in this Shabad has built the bridge for us to cross from Me-ism to One-ism in order to find true happiness, serenity and solace.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM