• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 17 Sabad 6 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧੭ ਸਬਦ ੬

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਹੈ ਭਿ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭਿ ਸਚੁ ੧॥
Āḏ sacẖ jugāḏ sacẖ. Hai bẖė sacẖ Nānak hosī bẖė sacẖ. ||1||
Present from the beginning, prevailing through the ages. Nanak, is present now and forever will be present.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਬਾਰੰ ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜਪੀਐ ਪੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਧ੍ਰਪੀਐ
Bāraʼn bār bār parabẖ japī▫ai. Pī amriṯ ih man ṯan ḏẖarpī▫ai.
Again and again contemplate about the creator. Drinking pure essence let this body be contented.

ਨਾਮ ਰਤਨੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਾਇਆ
Nām raṯan jin gurmukẖ pā▫i▫ā. Ŧis kicẖẖ avar nāhī ḏaristā▫i▫ā.
Creator’s understanding gem that one facing the creator found. Such see nothing else at all.

ਨਾਮੁ ਧਨੁ ਨਾਮੋ ਰੂਪੁ ਰੰਗੁ ਨਾਮੋ ਸੁਖੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਕਾ ਸੰਗੁ
Nām ḏẖan nāmo rūp rang. Nāmo sukẖ har nām kā sang.
Understanding is wealth and in understanding is beauty and happiness. Understanding is comfort and understanding of creator is so companion.

ਨਾਮ ਰਸਿ ਜੋ ਜਨ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਨੇ ਮਨ ਤਨ ਨਾਮਹਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਨੇ
Nām ras jo jan ṯaripṯāne. Man ṯan nāmėh nām samāne.
People contented with essence of understanding. Mind and body are immersed in only understanding and just the understanding.

ਊਠਤ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੋਵਤ ਨਾਮ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਨ ਕੈ ਸਦ ਕਾਮ ੬॥
Ūṯẖaṯ baiṯẖaṯ sovaṯ nām. Kaho Nānak jan kai saḏ kām. ||6||
Standing, sitting, sleeping in understanding. Nanak says such is the occupation of such humble people.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state the eternal truth prevailing and so prevailing forever from the past to the future.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 17, 6th sabad describe the power and wonderment of creator’s understanding. In repeated contemplation the body finds contentment, one sees little else once having gotten the understanding, understanding manifests in beauty, happiness and comfort. A total state of contentment through understanding.

Guru ji conclude day and night living with understanding is the way of the humble people.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM