• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 16 Sabad 2 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧੬ ਸਬਦ ੨

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਰੂਪੁ ਰੇਖ ਰੰਗੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਹੁ ਗੁਣ ਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਿੰਨ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਬੁਝਾਏ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੁਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ੧॥
Rūp na rekẖ na rang kicẖẖ ṯarihu guṇ ṯe parabẖ bẖinn. Ŧisėh bujẖā▫e nānkā jis hovai suparsan. ||1||
Creator is devoid of three in form, shape and color. Nanak only such are provided understanding, whom such is pleased with.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਮਨਸਾ ਪੂਰਨ ਸਰਨਾ ਜੋਗ ਜੋ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੋਈ ਹੋਗੁ
Mansā pūran sarnā jog. Jo kar pā▫i▫ā so▫ī hog.
Fulfiller of wishes and provider of haven. As ascribed so comes to pass.

ਹਰਨ ਭਰਨ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਫੋਰੁ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਹੋਰੁ
Haran bẖaran jā kā neṯar for. Ŧis kā manṯar na jānai hor.
Destroyer or saviour in the blink of an eye. No one else knows the deep secret.

ਅਨਦ ਰੂਪ ਮੰਗਲ ਸਦ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸਰਬ ਥੋਕ ਸੁਨੀਅਹਿ ਘਰਿ ਤਾ ਕੈ
Anaḏ rūp mangal saḏ jā kai. Sarab thok sunī▫ah gẖar ṯā kai.
Pleasant persona and happiness everlasting. So we hear all materials are in such one’s house.

ਰਾਜ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਜੁ ਜੋਗ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਗੀ ਤਪ ਮਹਿ ਤਪੀਸਰੁ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤ ਮਹਿ ਭੋਗੀ
Rāj mėh rāj jog mėh jogī. Ŧap mėh ṯapīsar garihsaṯ mėh bẖogī.
King among Kings and spiritual among the spirituals. Ascetic among ascetics and enjoys among the householders.

ਧਿਆਇ ਧਿਆਇ ਭਗਤਹ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਸੁ ਪੁਰਖ ਕਾ ਕਿਨੈ ਅੰਤੁ ਪਾਇਆ ੨॥
Ḏẖi▫ā▫e ḏẖi▫ā▫e bẖagṯah sukẖ pā▫i▫ā. Nānak ṯis purakẖ kā kinai anṯ na pā▫i▫ā. ||2||
Devotees find comfort by contemplating and contemplating so. Nanak no one has found limits of such supreme persona.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that the creator has no form, shape or color and is understood by those so happily blessed.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 16, 2nd sabad describe virtues of the creator. Fulfills so wished and provides support and such comes to pass per the creator, no complete knowledge of such and blink of an eye changes all around, a generally happy persona and treasures abound, a King among Kings and so on as an ascetic among ascetics or a family functional among family living.

Guru ji conclude that comfort is from contemplation on such even though no one has found limits or completeness of such.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
"Guru ji state that the creator has no form, shape or color"

I was watching one of those discussion shows recently where you have an audience and then some "experts" and they debate various topics. Yesterday's debate centered around the masculineness of God and why this came to be when so many ancient religions worshiped female Gods e.g Gaia etc

There were views from academics, rabbis and priests of both sexes and I found it all quite amusing!

I also thought how great Ek Onkar is in comparison

:)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM