• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 10 Sabad 5 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧0 ਸਬਦ ੫

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)
ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਅਨੇਕ ਜਨ ਅੰਤੁ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਚਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਰਚੀ ਬਹੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਅਨਿਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ੧॥
Usṯaṯ karahi anek jan anṯ na pārāvār. Nānak racẖnā parabẖ racẖī baho biḏẖ anik parkār. ||1||
In the salok, Guru ji state that many try to describe the creator but such is limitless. The creator creates with a variety of methods and of different types.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਾਤਾਲ ਕੇ ਵਾਸੀ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਨਰਕ ਸੁਰਗ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ
Ka▫ī kot pāṯāl ke vāsī. Ka▫ī kot narak surag nivāsī.
Many millions inhabit the underground. Many millions resident of heaven and hell.
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਜਨਮਹਿ ਜੀਵਹਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਬਹੁ ਜੋਨੀ ਫਿਰਹਿ
Ka▫ī kot janmėh jīvėh marėh. Ka▫ī kot baho jonī firėh.
Many millions born, live and die. Many millions transform into other life forms.
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਬੈਠਤ ਹੀ ਖਾਹਿ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਘਾਲਹਿ ਥਕਿ ਪਾਹਿ
Ka▫ī kot baiṯẖaṯ hī kẖāhi. Ka▫ī kot gẖālėh thak pāhi.
Many million eat without labor. Many million work hard, exhausted.
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕੀਏ ਧਨਵੰਤ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਹਿ ਚਿੰਤ
Ka▫ī kot kī▫e ḏẖanvanṯ. Ka▫ī kot mā▫i▫ā mėh cẖinṯ.
Many million created wealthy. Many million anxious about wealth.
ਜਹ ਜਹ ਭਾਣਾ ਤਹ ਤਹ ਰਾਖੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਹਾਥੇ ੫॥
Jah jah bẖāṇā ṯah ṯah rākẖe. Nānak sabẖ kicẖẖ parabẖ kai hāthe. ||5||
As is wished, so are kept. Nanak, all is in the hand of the creator.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that many try to describe the creator but such is limitless. The creator creates with a variety of methods and of different types.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 10, 5th sabad cite how millions exist below and in like heaven and hell; are born , live and die; transform into many life forms; eat without effort while others toil; wealthy and others anxious to become wealthy.

Guru ji conclude that as is wished by the creator so exists and all is through the creator.
SPECIAL NOTE … contd from Astpadi 10, sabad 3: In this sabad the reference to “many millions” of residents in Heaven and Hell refers to state of mind and not the usual depictions in temples and paintings. Similarly many forms of life is talked in the form of transformations that continue unabated in creation and it is not the usual karma and re-incarnation lineage of thoughts per Hinduism or Buddhism. Creator is not keeping track of each particle of creation and identifying which so called incarnation they came from and which incarnation they need to go to based on karma or what they did in the past.

Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The last two days my shop has been dead, I have taken the time to read more Bani, write a few posts, and generally muse and contemplate Creator and Creation. Today, I said to my wife, I am going to try and kickstart some activity, so I have spent the entire day rebuilding stock, checking stock, printing posters, etc, I have not had much time even to check my beloved forum, but that is ok, because today is a householder day, we are saints, soldiers, and also householders, and one must not take ones eye of ones life, and the ability to earn money. This is the first time I have sat down, 3pm, and I am amazed how many people have come in, I managed to sell 11 computers I did not have, and then had a phone call from a company closing down, offering me 11 computers they wanted rid off, its tempting to believe in something magical, something mysterious, I rang my wife, she advised against even contemplating that road (although I had not), and simply said, people see you sitting down all day on your pc, does not inspire them to come in, putting posters in the window, and looking busy with work, is more inspiring, it is the practical things you do that changes your fate, not believing in being blessed, I agree with her, and then I read the above, I am a firm believer in the pragmatic, you do not follow bani for some strange magical effect, for magical positivity, you do so because it makes your life better, lack of lust and anger clears your head to devote to the things that matter, I have followed Hukam to be best of my ability all day, and good things have happened to me, not because I am being rewarded, but because my actions in line with Hukam have brought forward positive results, without Hukam I would be resident in hell, with Hukam I am born today a Sikh Man, I have worked hard, I am exhausted, but I do absolutely believe provided I follow Hukam, any outcome is ok with me, and if the outcomes are positive as they are today, all the better, that is down to my actions being in line with Hukam, nothing else, would I have the strength to be as happy if the day has been bad? yes, provided I had followed Hukam, definitely yes

Many Thanks Veerji a perfect reading for my break mundahug

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM