• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 1 Sabad 6 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧ ਸਬਦ ੬

Aug 28, 2010
prakash.s.bagga veer ji thanks for your post.

I am happy to be classified by a great person like you. I assume you only mean things in a positive way.

Hopefully one day you will consider voting for me icecreammunda. My platform will be free ice cream to all kids, I love ice cream!

Sat Sri Akal.

I will do even convassing ,vote is guaranteed.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
By the grace of GuRu I enjoy full peace of mind.
You feel tired of me but I am not tired of You.
I swear this.
Prakash.S.Bagga
Veer Prakash.S.Bagga ji you have brilliant mind. You have helped me a lot here many a times. Of course there can be disagreements and some times very serious and fundamental.

I am just tired of doing searches for others or chores like find where I said this or that. Or one liners show me where it is so in SGGS when all have the same tools as myself.

You are blessed in your life and we are all different. I always wish you all the best.

Sat Sri Akal.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Veer Bhagat Singh ji, Veer Taranjeet Singh ji you may find the first Sabad in 3rd Astpadi instructive. Guru ji have clearly stated the intent of what he means,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sukhmani-sahib/37788-sukhmani-sahib-astpadi-3-sabad-1-a.html

ਨਹੀ ਤੁਲਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬੀਚਾਰ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੀਐ ਇਕ ਬਾਰ ॥੧॥
Nahī ṯul rām nām bīcẖār. Nānak gurmukẖ nām japī▫ai ik bār. ||1||

None equal the seeking of creator’s understanding. Guru Nanak, it is so even if you do such effort to understand the creator once.
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sukhmani-sahib/37788-sukhmani-sahib-astpadi-3-sabad-1-a.html

ਨਾਮੁ is Understanding and not NAME.

Sat Sri Akal.
Ambarsaria ji,
What you say is great. I agree. But it is not specific, it is a general statement. However, Guru Sahibs are giving us specific instructions of what to do. I have been trying to convey these specific instructions to you.

Specifically: The phrase ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬੀਚਾਰ means to Contemplate Ram Naam, to utter it. "Ram Ram..." with an undercurrent of contemplation of focus on the name and on Ram.

As a whole this sentence means: None of those things mentioned previously in the pauri are on par with the uttering of Ram Naam even once with a mind that is turned towards the Guru (in both sense of the word: the Formless God and the Guide Form, Guru Sahib).

The goal is not merely understanding but a practice of understanding. What is understanding? That I must get rid of/subdue my ego, my sense of "I" that is separate from my environment. The goal is to expand one's sense of self to be the True Self, God. (If there is one thing we can get out of Gurbani, it is this understanding) The practice is doing something to get rid of that ego, the sense of separation, the sense of a distinct identity that is focused on me and excludes everything else.

What is the practice? What are the specific instructions?

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥
माझ महला ३ ॥
Mājẖ mėhlā 3.
Maajh, Third Mehl:

ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਊਜਲੁ ਊਜਲ ਹੰਸਾ ॥
गोविंदु ऊजलु ऊजल हंसा ॥
Govinḏ ūjal ūjal hansā.
The Lord of the Universe is radiant, and radiant are His soul-swans.

Those who meditate on Gobind become Gobind. If Gobind was a lake they become the swans on that lake, always connected to the water.

ਮਨੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਮੇਰੀ ਮਨਸਾ ॥
मनु बाणी निरमल मेरी मनसा ॥
Man baṇī nirmal merī mansā.
Their minds and their speech are immaculate; they are my hope and ideal.

They become pure and have pure ideas. Those ideas are pure that arise from a mind that is immersed in Gobind.

ਮਨਿ ਊਜਲ ਸਦਾ ਮੁਖ ਸੋਹਹਿ ਅਤਿ ਊਜਲ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥
मनि ऊजल सदा मुख सोहहि अति ऊजल नामु धिआवणिआ ॥१॥
Man ūjal saḏā mukẖ sohėh aṯ ūjal nām ḏẖi▫āvaṇi▫ā. ||1||
Their minds are radiant, and their faces are always beautiful; they meditate on the most radiant Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||

ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਜੀਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਣਿਆ ॥
हउ वारी जीउ वारी गोबिंद गुण गावणिआ ॥
Ha▫o vārī jī▫o vārī gobinḏ guṇ gāvaṇi▫ā.
I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe.
ਗਾਵਣਿਆ - to sing (needless to say with one's mouth, uttering, speaking) thus ਧਿਆਵਣਿਆ is focus on that which is being sung. Meditation through singing.

ਗੋਬਿਦੁ ਗੋਬਿਦੁ ਕਹੈ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ ਗੋਬਿਦ ਗੁਣ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਣਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
गोबिदु गोबिदु कहै दिन राती गोबिद गुण सबदि सुणावणिआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Gobiḏ gobiḏ kahai ḏin rāṯī gobiḏ guṇ sabaḏ suṇāvṇi▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
So chant Gobind, Gobind, the Lord of the Universe, day and night; sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord Gobind, through the Word of His Shabad. ||1||Pause||
ਗੋਬਿਦੁ ਗੋਬਿਦੁ ਕਹੈ - to speak, utter "Gobind, Gobind".
They say/utter (meditate on, ਧਿਆਵਣਿਆ) "Gobind, Gobind" day and night. They sing Gobind's praises about His gunas/qualities.

ਗੋਬਿਦੁ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਏ ॥
गोबिदु गावहि सहजि सुभाए ॥
Gobiḏ gāvahi sahj subẖā▫e.
Sing of the Lord Gobind with intuitive ease,
ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਏ - still mind, mind's natural state, without the chatterbox

Sing about Gobind with a still mind. Love - maximum empathy and non-judgement of other people - oozes out of a still mind.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਭੈ ਊਜਲ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਲੁ ਜਾਏ ॥
गुर कै भै ऊजल हउमै मलु जाए ॥
Gur kai bẖai ūjal ha▫umai mal jā▫e.
in the Fear of the Guru; you shall become radiant, and the filth of egotism shall depart.

Thus in fear (in fear there is alertness) of the Guru, sing about Gobind, utter "Gobind Gobind" and your egotism, the sense of separation between "I" and the environment (and other "I's", other people) shall depart. For one, this leads to love - maximum empathy and non-judgement of other people.

ਸਦਾ ਅਨੰਦਿ ਰਹਹਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਸੁਣਿ ਗੋਬਿਦ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥
सदा अनंदि रहहि भगति करहि दिनु राती सुणि गोबिद गुण गावणिआ ॥२॥
Saḏā anand rahėh bẖagaṯ karahi ḏin rāṯī suṇ gobiḏ guṇ gāvaṇi▫ā. ||2||
Remain in bliss forever, and perform devotional worship, day and night. Hear and sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord Gobind. ||2||

Those who do the above and get rid of the egotism, the separation, remain in peace and remain absorbed in devotional worship (ਗਾਵਣਿਆ and ਧਿਆਵਣਿਆ) day and night.

ਮਨੂਆ ਨਾਚੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਏ ॥
मनूआ नाचै भगति द्रिड़ाए ॥
Manū▫ā nācẖai bẖagaṯ driṛ▫ā▫e.
Channel your dancing mind in devotional worship,

They experience states of consciousness (states where one does not feel separation) not accessible to them before and these states become more and more accessible as the mind gets more and more absorbed in devotional worship.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਨੈ ਮਨੁ ਮਿਲਾਏ ॥
गुर कै सबदि मनै मनु मिलाए ॥
Gur kai sabaḏ manai man milā▫e.
and through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, merge your mind with the Supreme Mind.

Your mind becomes still and becomes Gobind (merges with Gobind) through Guru's shabad, through what He prescribes and instructs.

ਸਚਾ ਤਾਲੁ ਪੂਰੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਚੁਕਾਏ ਸਬਦੇ ਨਿਰਤਿ ਕਰਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੩॥
सचा तालु पूरे माइआ मोहु चुकाए सबदे निरति करावणिआ ॥३॥
Sacẖā ṯāl pūre mā▫i▫ā moh cẖukā▫e sabḏe niraṯ karāvaṇi▫ā. ||3||
Let your true and perfect tune be the subjugation of your love of Maya, and let yourself dance to the Shabad. ||3||

Essentially: Cultivate love, devotion, fear of Guru, concentration and a still mind as you chant Gobind, and your egotism and sense of separation will be eradicated.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
============ INTERIM POST, Appreciate if you can Hold Comments =============

Veer Bhagat Singh ji let me know when you are finished making changes to the above post and I will study and respond.

Let me tell you one thing if I started chanting "Gobind Gobind ..." or any other Ramu , Hari or Haru mantars, as a result of this sabad, I would have been slapped silly by Guru ji if young and corrected clealy otherwise. Sikhism is not a group of half asleep spiritually or totally lost in consciousness people chanting away. Chanting is not the breakfast cereal in Sikhism. People are blind of knowledge not because they can't shout mantars, sway and do body regimens. They are blind because of lack of thought and understanding and rather be mis-directed in the sexy easy ways.

Thanks for your input so far but drift is misguided.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Ambarsaria ji,
Go on, I am done editing that post.
I am coming from a place that starts with your position. I agree with what you are saying. To me the next step is the goal is to eradicate/subdue the sense of self that is separate from others. What we needed to understand, we have already understood when we have (with careful thought) posited such a goal. The next step (after yours) is the practice that will lead us to it.
Is Sikhism only this? No, there's more to it. My post is only about what we are discussing namely Simran, Naam Japna. This is one of the three pillars of Sikhism, the other two being vand chhakna and sachi kirt karni, which are equally important.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: