• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Started Studying In Us, Was That A Good Choice?

Dec 16, 2017
Sat Sri Akal ji,

I just moved to US for studying (rigorous Physics & CS student as a background). Almost everybody suggested me to study in Canada instead due to factors like - affordable education, healthcare, work opportunities, and reachable residence that can help me escape from bad conditions I used to have in my home country. However, I chose US as I had good study 4.0 GPA and nice extra curriculars.

It has been months that I am not able to sleep well and just thinking all the time on how will I pay for education. US doesn't allow students to work off-campus. My college has near to no jobs, I got a night job that only pays ~$38 per week.

The nearest Gurudwara near me is about 45.6 miles (~73.4 KM).

I thought of asking my fellow Gursikhs for advice on what should I do? I expect only to have funding for 3 years of education in US if we sold every property we own and utilizing my dad's 70% of income.

I really don't know why I came, I could have gone to Canada instead but I have hope that it'll be fine. A US degree would provide more opportunities in future. But in present, Canada sounds an affordable option.

I would really like to request my Gursikh veers and bhenjis to please provide me an advice on what should I do. My parents are currently hesitant for me to transfer to a Canadian college because I expressed tons of interest in US universities and they feel like I am trying to save money.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Almost everybody suggested me to study in Canada

is this the almost everybody that holds the purse strings? maybe you should have listened.

I thought of asking my fellow Gursikhs for advice on what should I do?

errr listen to the folks that hold the purse strings? they are the ones that stand to lose all their properties and 70% of their income

why would your parents hesitant for you to transfer if it is going to save money?

Dec 16, 2017
They're hesitant because I've always been saying I'm going to study in US. You know Sikh parents are like take whatever you want but stay happy, this made me cry but still made me happy.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
They're hesitant because I've always been saying I'm going to study in US. You know Sikh parents are like take whatever you want but stay happy, this made me cry but still made me happy.
oh well as long as your happy, after all that's all that matters, not the properties, or the 70% call on income!

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
53333126e08cdd035e598bf0dcd5f47e.jpg

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

what if your wrong? what if the thinking that supports your decision is the misery of others? What if new information comes to light? what if you plan on a trip to the moon, and it turns out the moon does not exist, do you still go?

hitler.jpg

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
what if your wrong? what if the thinking that supports your decision is the misery of others? What if new information comes to light? what if you plan on a trip to the moon, and it turns out the moon does not exist, do you still go?

View attachment 20299

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਸਿਆਣਾ ॥
No one is foolish, and no one is clever.

ਵਰਤੈ ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਣਾ ॥
Your Will determines everything;

ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਅਥਾਹਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਕਹਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
You are Inaccessible, Incomprehensible, Infinite and Unfathomable. Your Value cannot be expressed. ||3||

Source : GurbaniNow Search

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM