• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Star Trek 2

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
In the upcoming movie, a villain is being proposed who could again restart all that confusion of Sikhs being Muslims in US:

Star Trek 2’s villain has been revealed as Khan Noonien Singh, the genetically-engineered human who served as a wonderful nemesis to Kirk in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. The iconic image of William Shatner giving it some serious welly with his anguished, furious yell of “KHAAAAAAAAAN!” is unlikely to be replicated too closely, but we do hope for at least some small reference. Benecio Del Toro has passed on the part, so we will eagerly await the news of who JJ Abrams beams in as a replacement.

Source:
http://www.screengeek.co.uk/news/ar...-knight-rises-star-trek-2-and-american-psycho

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
In the original Wrath of Khan movie I don't think there was much if any reference to Khan being Sikh in his early years. I only discovered this a few months ago -- apparently there's much more in the story book!

I am curious to know what this new movie is going to be about -- perhaps they will focus more on Khan's childhood, but it should be clear from that that he isn't Muslim...

Although, given the description here, I don't think the authors did their homework on Sikhi before connecting his character to it!

Khan's background was suspected to be Sikh, from the northern region of India. McGivers's portrait of a 20th century Khan. Khan would live up to the axiom coined by one of his creators, "superior ability breeds superior ambition". By 1993, a wave of the genetic "supermen" including Khan, had simultaneously assumed control of more than 40 of Earth's nations. From 1992 to 1996, Khan was absolute ruler of more than one-quarter of Earth's population, including regions of Asia and the Middle East. Considered "the best of tyrants", he severely curtailed the freedoms of his subjects, but his reign was an exception to similar circumstances in Earth history – lacking massacres or internal war.

'Sikh' and 'Tyrant' don't belong in the same personal space!! Then again, I can't speak for genetically modified humans, hahaha.

Thanks for bring this up Kanwaljit ji, I'm off to investigate!

And anyway, Sikhs are almost represented in Star Trek in the form of Klingons. hahahaha

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The very fact the villain is called Khan and has last name Singh is enough to confuse. But they could say all is fair in the name of science fiction. Funny I didn't know the character's name is a lot older, who would have thought then we would have such problems now.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
And I thought this was kinda funny on a forum discussing Sikhs and Klingons (cute opinions of non-Sikhs):

Spinmaster X: Why do Sikhs get to wear turbans in military uniform but others can't? I remember when we went to Israel they wouldn't let the Jewish troops in my squadron wear their yarmulkes.

Rade: Turban = bad@ss warrior gear.
Yarmulke = not so much

lol

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Kanwaljit ji

I don't think he's called by his full name in the original film, I think he's just known as Khan. I will re-watch the film shortly (I have them all on DVD... thanks dad... *blush *)

No one would make the Sikh connection unless they had read the book.

However we could be in trouble if they are making a new movie and intend to elaborate on his childhood and youth.

Ensign Ishna will monitor the situation with all sensors...

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Kanwaljit ji

I don't think he's called by his full name in the original film, I think he's just known as Khan. I will re-watch the film shortly (I have them all on DVD... thanks dad... *blush *)

No one would make the Sikh connection unless they had read the book.

However we could be in trouble if they are making a new movie and intend to elaborate on his childhood and youth.

Ensign Ishna will monitor the situation with all sensors...

I believe Lt. Marla McGivers calls him by his full name in "Space Seed," The original Star Trek episode. She is also the one who painted that picture of him. This episode was the first time many people in the West ever heard of Sikhs, "a wonderful warrior people from northern India," if I remember Marla correctly.

Here they are in one of their lighter moments.

marla.jpg

A whole mythology has grown up around him. Evidently he was quite peaceful until 1984 radicalised him. I think that is actually likely, as that is exactly what happened to many Sikhs. I just can't get over his cropped hair and lack of beard, especially after being in suspended animation for over 200 years. Some hair would have grown. (Funny how easy it is to think of fictional characters as real.)

I have proof that Gene Roddenberry modeled the Klingons after the Sikhs in the form of a letter from him to my MIL about that subject. She suggested that he modify his portrayal of the Klingons as more ethical than just nasty violent. He agreed. He kept his word. Notice that the Klingons in the movies and the series following are much less evil than the ones in TOS. I'm not certain how much her correspondence contributed to that, but her influence is surely there.

BTW, the Klingons are atheists since they got angry at their gods sometime in the distant past and killed them all off.

Oh, oh, I think I may have given myself away as a Trekkie geek.

japposatnamwaheguru:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Wow Mai ji, I like how you've matched the colour of your chunni to your officer's uniform. :grinningkaur:

I haven't seen much of the original series, but might have to track that particular episode down now.

Thanks for the extra information!!

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Last edited:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
This is what Marla actually said:
[SIZE=-1]From the northern India area, I'd guess.
Probably a Sikh.
They were the most fantastic warriors.[/SIZE]
at 7:43. I wonder if that is the first mention of us on USA TV? Not much and, of course, a Latino played the role.

[SIZE=-1]Kirk: Name-- Khan, as we know him today.
Name-- Khan Noonien Singh.
From 1992 through 1996,
absolute ruler of more than a quarter of your world,
from Asia through the Middle East.
The last of the tyrants to be overthrown.
I must confess, gentlemen.
I've always held a sneaking admiration
for this one.
He was the best of the tyrants
and the most dangerous.
They were supermen in a sense.
Stronger, braver,
certainly more ambitious, more daring.[/SIZE]
at 30:43.

Earlier, Marla tells him she knows who he is, but doesn't actually say it.

Last edited:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
More info about Khan: http://sepiamutiny.com/blog/2005/09/21/khaaaaaaaaaannn_1/

Unfortunately the 'Sikhs in sci-fi' link from that site isn't working at the moment.

A bit of searching has produced a reproduction of the relevant part of that site. It's not great, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

http://www.singhsabha.com/sikhs_in_sci__fiction.htm

OK, I suppose I need to get off my Star Trek behind and do something useful. My dog is at my feet looking up at me longingly and whining. Thew birds are also making noise. I suppose I ought to feed them.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
It's good you posted the quotes because the video at the link doesn't play in Australia. *grumble* Will keep looking.

I think the scripts are all online, but without any indication of who's saying what.

Oh, dear! I used to watch on a couple of other sites but they were closed because of copyright violations. You can see only bits and pieces on YouTube. There is always the possibility of renting or buying the sets of DVDs. Sometimes you can get good deals on ebay.

Try this, I hope it'll play in Oz. Quality isn't the best, but beggars can't be choosers.

PART 1:star trek tos-space seed april 2,1967 part 1.wmv - YouTube
PART 2:Near the beginning is where she identifies him as Sikh. star trek tos-space seed april 2, 1967 part 2.wmv - YouTube PART 3: star trek tos-space seed april 2,1967 part 3.wmv - YouTube
PART 4:He is named at 6:56, right after the commercial star trek tos space seed april 2, 1967 part 4 - YouTube .
PART 5: star trek tos space seed april 2 1967 part 5 - YouTube
PART 6: star trek tos-space seed april 2, 1967 part 6.wmv - YouTube

"It is better to rule in hell than serve in heaven." John Milton

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Me and dad went to the star trek convention in London a few years ago, he is a massive trekkie (a lot of sikhs are...), and we paid to have footage of us pretending to be klingons cut into an episode of the first series, father has a strong nothern british accent, and in the final 'cut', the sight of this turbanned sikh man standing behind a console shouting 'we're gonna get you man, we're gonna blow you out of the sky', caused the whole place to errupt in laughter, one of these days I will put it on you tube,

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Me and dad went to the star trek convention in London a few years ago, he is a massive trekkie (a lot of sikhs are...), and we paid to have footage of us pretending to be klingons cut into an episode of the first series, father has a strong nothern british accent, and in the final 'cut', the sight of this turbanned sikh man standing behind a console shouting 'we're gonna get you man, we're gonna blow you out of the sky', caused the whole place to errupt in laughter, one of these days I will put it on you tube,

Please put it on at once, I simply must see it.

I shall hold my breath till I turn blue, if you don't.

Sikhs make the best Klingons.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Maiji

Unfortuately it has me playing the lead klingon, with dad on my right playing my number 2, I will have to dig it out, if memory serves me correctly, my klingon name was capt Pughwash

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Maiji

Unfortuately it has me playing the lead klingon, with dad on my right playing my number 2, I will have to dig it out, if memory serves me correctly, my klingon name was capt Pughwash

Please do dig it out.

It sounds like you were a Klingon with a very clean turban.

I identify strongly with K'ehleyr. I wonder if a Sikh man could handle a Klingon woman? But I digress.

I have the distinction of seeing every episode of every Star Trek series (except Enterprise which was too dreadful to watch) first run. I miss having a series now.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Oh yes Harry bhaji, please put it on YouTube for us!! *jumps up and down*

Mai ji, those clips do play in Australia, thanks! I got up to the last one which I will watch later on.

Congrats to her for identifying him as a 'Sikh' based on what exactly I don't know! haha

I wonder what the book is like...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM