• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sri Guru Granth Sahib: Just A Book Or Living Embodiment

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is a compilation that provides us a final statement, guidance form our founding fathers, the Gurus. The Gurus also selected to include in the compilation poetic writings of Hindus and Muslims.

It is a record of,

• The final guidance and wisdom from our Guru jis and others they selected
  • So right now if you want to listen to Guru ji’s and their guidance, there is only one choice, “Sri Guru Granth Sahib”
    • General vehicle is “Gurbani Kirtan” or reading of Sri Guru Granth Sahib by others that you listen to

So right now if you want to read Guru ji’s writings and their guidance, there is only one choice, “Sri Guru Granth Sahib”.

• You can read it in various languages and phonetic equivalents
So right now if you want to understand Guru ji’s and their guidance, there is only one choice, “Sri Guru Granth Sahib”.

• You can independently do it yourself and knowing Punjabi and Punjabi Grammar is a must
  • You can review works of others like,
    • Professor Sahib Singh ji’s “Guru Granth Darpan”
    • You can study D. Manmohan Singh ji’s English translation
    • You can study Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa ji’s translation developed out of Dr. Manmohan Singh ji’s translation

So an inquiry comes to mind as to treat the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as a living entity. Functionally as we see each Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji’s printed or handwritten copies in houses, Gurdwaras, Libraries and Museums, these are books with binding, glue, paper and ink. It is impacted by our upbringing, the cultural heritage and the social norms. This is an area of great internal and personal reflection. Some thoughts,

• When I try to read and understand I visualize myself sitting in front of live Guru ji
  • When I try to understand I visualize a live as is environment of the day including the then practices of Hindus and Muslims
  • When I try to understand I visualize Guru ji as a teacher in a class that I am sitting in with others
  • When I hear great Kirtan of Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji I visualize the environs in which it was created way back
  • For me Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji becomes alive and living through such.
  • Is it another way of showing reverence for great teachers, the great material they brought forth, the value that it brings into our lives, perhaps it is and that is the reason I feel the way I do

Does it give me a right to question or ridcule other people’s way of doing things and giving respect, it does not. This is an area which for ever will remain of great internal and personal reflection since as humans we have no way of knowing the inner selves of people even when they are asked or they verbalize.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
When I try to understand I visualize a live as is environment of the day including the then practices of Hindus and Muslims

Guru Granth Sahib offers Universal Wisdom which applies to a person of any faith. What our Ten Gurus did, they just came forth with the Wisdome as and when they saw people being misguided. So their time on Earth was a trigger not an inspiration.

Aug 28, 2010
From Gurbani we can understand that Guru is Gur Jot(i).
Jot(i) is the reference for vibrations /waves of Divine words.Sincs the vibrations/waves of the Divine words are imperishable so Guru is Ever Living .
When we get connected ourselves with Gur Jot(i) we feel filled with the enery of Divine Words so Guru is Life Giving.
So I greatly appreciate the views of Sinner ji.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
prakash s. bagga ji thanks for your post. A clarification appreciated on the following,

Jot(i) is the reference for vibrations /waves of Divine words.Sincs the vibrations/waves of the Divine words are imperishable so Guru is Ever Living.

So when did these vibrations/waves start and are the the creation of writings in Sri Guru Granth Sahib? Are you saying every word in Sri Guru Granth Sahib generates these vibrations/waves or some do? Are you also saying that sounds are more important than the understanding as sounds can be created by chanting or reading or doing kirtan?

Just trying to understand as this is very strongly held understanding by yourself as you have repeated it many a times but I have not fully understood it.

When we get connected ourselves with Gur Jot(i) we feel filled with the energy of Divine Words so Guru is Life Giving.
Again, is it the words that fill you with energy or their understanding or both?

Thank you.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
It would be great if we could have a couple of threads dedicated to Gurbani Grammar. It would probably be good to start with a whole new thread dedicated to Guru as this is a foundational concept in Sikhi / foundational to proper understanding of SGGS.

GuR
ਗੁਰ

GuRu
ਗੁਰੁ

GuRoo
ਗੁਰੂ

It would be interesting to have a discussion on these particular words. Another thread might be best.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It would be great if we could have a couple of threads dedicated to Gurbani Grammar. It would probably be good to start with a whole new thread dedicated to Guru as this is a foundational concept in Sikhi / foundational to proper understanding of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

GuR
ਗੁਰ

GuRu
ਗੁਰੁ

GuRoo
ਗੁਰੂ

It would be interesting to have a discussion on these particular words. Another thread might be best.

I have attempted the same suggestion with no success. Good luck. Until then these posts on oooo will be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM