• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sri Guru Granth Sahib: A Teacher Or A Book Of Solutions?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
A great teacher has the following typical attributes,

• Gives you guidance
  • Makes you familiar with the tools of developing solutions
  • Encourages you to learn and find answers
  • Does not give you easy answers
  • Encourages dialog in the class for learning between students
So what becomes of a student nurtured by a great teacher,

• Student becomes self sufficient, drilled in guidance and a possible role model and helper of others
    • Analogy: You don't give someone fish when they are hungry, you teach them how to fish so they are never hungry again
One encounters many a Sikhs in various walks and theaters of life who either through their upbringing, their company or bad teaching start taking the easy way out. They look for answers in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji rather than develop understanding. They are looking for cheat sheets of facts to show to others or prove they are right. They take words and quote. They take Tuks/sentences and they quote. They take bunch of separate lines/tuks and create a story. What results from such as stroking one's ego, making one look more knowledgeable, make one look more respectful of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. However nothing could be far from the truth. Such people are just cheating on themselves, they get false satisfaction and some may at advanced age suddenly realize that their approach was a farce.

So if you want to respect Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, spend the time to understand. Converse with others with an open mind with as much to learn as to share your thoughts.

Please don't be dis-respectful and quote or treat Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as a book of solutions or book of fast facts or an encyclopedia. It is a teacher and the best teacher at that. Be a respectful student driven by the need to study, understand and apply.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
whosoever asks me this question..I ask him/her..."Your "Father"..is He a "Father" or a Man? Human ? You see MY "Father" was a Man/Human...BUT inside that body of skin and bones there was a vast storehouse of GYAAN....and while that mortal body burnt on the funeral pyre more than 25 years ago..the GYAAN lives ON in Me......so YES the SGGS is a "Book"..and also the Ultimate GURU GYAAN LIGHT that dispells darkness endlessly..the "Book" made of paper ink and binding can burn..can drown..can float..can sink...BUT all these actions cannot BURY the GYAAN within...cannot disrespect it..cannot damage it..cannot deny its place...

Aug 28, 2010
GYANI JARNAIL SINGH Ji,
You are quite aware that Guru is the refence for GurJot(i) in SGGS .
Being teacher as mere reference for Guru is only one of the aspects of Gurus infinite references.Guru is what any one can think to be.Guru has been refered as Sailor or Gardener .That is why Guru can be refered as Beant.

Secondly in Gurbani you will notice that the word Giyan is always Singular as (GIYANu) so we can say Gurbani is telling about some Single Knowledge .Can we consider this aspect of the word Giyan to be more clear about the message from Gurbani.

These are my personal views based on observation from within Gurbani.Nothing to offend anyones views in this regard.I look forward to your valued views.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Parkahs Singh bagga ji,
Youa re of course absolutley RIGHT. The "GYAAN" in SGGS/Gurbani is with the Capital "G" (in gurbani the Capital Alpahbet meaning/Marker as in English Grammar Rules.... is shown by the Aunkarr under the N)
SO this GYAAN in SGGS is the SUPREME KNOWLEDGE about the ONE SUPREME Akal Purakh. Its NOT "worldly gyaan"....as people would like to imagine and thats why they ask silly questions like..where in SGGS it says keep kesh..keep kirpan..or eat daal only and dont eat meat etc etc..or knowledge about how air waves carry sound or how plants grow..that type of "gyaan" is NOT for SGGS. Anyone looking for that in SGGS will be sorely disappointed. The GYAAN in SGGS will make one a BRAHAM-GYAANI..knowledgeable about THE GYAAN !!

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
The GYAAN in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji will make one a BRAHAM-GYAANI..knowledgeable about THE GYAAN !!
Gyani Ji I agree with the supreme knowledge bit, but would describe Brahm Gyani as Supreme Understanding,knowledgeable means well informed,it does not describe him that well , I understand that was just an off the cuff comment ,but it is wonderful how the 5th Guru describes him in detail.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Prakash.S.Bagga ji I request a clarification on the undelined in the quoted text,
GIYANI JARNAIL SINGH Ji,
Thank you very much .The answer is as expected from a person of your calbre.
In Gurbani the resultant of all the messages is Naamu only.And this way we should understand "Guru Nanak Ke-ae ghuru kewal Naamu" as final objective .
Prakash.S.Bagga
Are you quoting a proverb or Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib. If it is Gurbani, please provide full Shabad as I want to understand the context of your extracted words.

Thanks.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM