• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

So You Like SPN? Then Tell Us What You Like!

Select the topics you would like SPN to feature MORE often. Vote for as many topics as you want.

• Comparative religion

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Gurbani discussions

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Gian of the Gurus' words

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Meditation, practice and progress

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Personal reflections and inspiring stories

• Shabads of the week with explanations and discussions

• Sikh myth-busters

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Sikh news worldwide

• Sikhs in India

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sikhs in the west and the diaspora

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Simran, personal experiences and practice

• Spiritual and moral confusion and doubt

• Spiritual practices, experiences and growth

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Other: We know we have not listed everything you find interesting. If we have left anything out, ple

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Every now and then SPN studies its web traffic. We do this because we want to know more about readers and members who visit us. We also take a look at the issues and topics that attract you to our network.

SPN also completed a small survey recently of active members who reply often to threads. They told us what topics they found most interesting. They also made suggestions about topics SPN might add.

Now it is your turn. Please vote in this poll, and don't forget to comment. Tell us about the topics you have really enjoyed in the past. Let us know about other issues that you think we should add.

Thanks for your continuing visits and participation! And don't forget... We want you to visit, we want you to comment too!

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I voted for 'spiritual practices, experiences and growth' but what I really wanted to vote for was 'Sikh practices, experiences and growth'.

Also I would vote for Punjabi language, study of translations and the language of Gurbani.

I didn't vote for news items because sometimes we can get caught up in worldly troubles and lose focus on the Gurbani, which should be the captain and rudder of our ship of life to begin with. Worldly troubles should be tackled from a strong foundation of Gurbani and Gian, not the other way around.

Many thanks and good job for bringing us an awesome forum so far kaurhug

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Gurfateh!
For youngsters growing up in the cyber-world this must all be quite lucid, but for an old-head like me, I have to say the website is pretty confusing. I would like a plainer page rather than a screen crowded with fundraisers, ads, and other information and distractions. Visually, it's all so busy.

As to what I wish I saw more of, although I don't know how best to arrive at this, is more participation from young people seeking guidance or encouragement as to how to navigate these times and challenges while trying to fully embrace the Sikh identity. I don't know if there is a way to make this network more enticing to youth who are exposed to so much persuasion to abandon their traditions and embrace the lifestyles and values of doom. There are so many wise voices in this network that it would be a shame not to engage that wisdom to council the next generation that are at sea in these times.
Other than that, this site is a wonderful, humane resource, and full speed ahead! Praise be to Waheguru!

Aisha

SPNer
Oct 12, 2012
I know I'm not a regular on this site, but I'd really be interested in seeing a section devoted to stories about how people wrestled their way to Sikhi. There are people on this site from all walks of life, some were born into other religions, others were Atheist, and I'm sure there are people on here born into Punjabi families yet didn't know the first thing about the religion (as is so often the case today). There's probably a common denominator that attracts people to Sikhi.

This site is extremely well run, the moderators are fair and the people are highly welcoming. I think the collective Sangat on SPN has a wealth of knowledge that it needs to spread around and share with others, most notably the younger generation of Sikhs as it struggles to find a balance between it's own heritage and the culture of the countries it calls home. Definitely try reaching out to the youngsters, although I am not sure how to go about that.

I've been on other forums where the comparative religions section would get more heated than a UFC fight, the moderators themselves take part in the debates and end up deleting the "outsiders'" posts and/or threads due to their own partiality. But this is the last place I would expect behavior like that to be tolerated. I think a greater emphasis on distinguishing Sikhi from other religions, or even forum members sharing their own personal experiences with any of the alternative faiths would be a good thing.

Jul 18, 2007
London
It would be amazing to have SPN come onto the app format. I know its resources/finances limiting this.

Then I guess as a veer ji mentioned earlier about the site potentially being confusing to youngster, will be resolved and will open up potential to be more active anywhere :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
SaintSoldier1699 ji

Thank you for your comments on the mobile app possibilities for SPN. I agree that a mobile app would create an entirely new future for our network. The cost of web development to create the app would be great, but that is only 1 consideration.

In my opinion, the mobile app would also change the quality of interactions at SPN, even to the point of testing a completely new environment or forum culture. This something that all of us need to think about.

SPN supports a large collection of articles from outside sources, and also a large collection of articles by members. These can be lengthy and because of their length they invite a reader to reflect on issues that are somewhat deep. SPN would be able to deliver a long article by mobile app. However, the replies would be probably be very short. Would we be sacrificing an environment where our members write something longer than a sentence or two, something that is as thoughtful as the original article?

Another development could very well be a change in the quality of language. Would there be more of what I call "text speak" - SMS talk. "God bles u Bhai jee. U R rite. Y not doo dat?" So far we have had little SMS talk and when we do moderators usually ask that the comment be rewritten in clear English. The effect is more like burping out a comment.

I have a friend on Facebook, a woman in her 50's who writes reply after reply in SMS. It is not restricted only to younger friends.

On facebook a member can post a longer, thoughtful piece by uploading an article. But it is really difficult to reply at length. There are character limits. And on Twitter not possible to do either. I don't know how this would work on mobile devices like smart phones, tablets or androids. So there is something to consider, especially if a goal is to encourage thinking, reflecting and deeper conversation, rather than instant reactions.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
SaintSoldier ji

Speaking only for myself ... we have members that deserve to be appreciated and loved ...for the most part! So the admins and mods are always thinking of ways to make this a place worth visiting and more importantly a place to participate actively. Just now i was thinking about threads on relationships, dating, marriage. Do we need more threads like that? Also the threads that members start are usually the most popular threads. How can we get members to start more threads? It is always a case of pondering to keep a focus on Sikhi and keep the thread modern. I don't have the answers. Thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to us. Please keep on prodding us too. We are all part of the SPN experiment.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM