• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

So We Sikhs Want A Homeland?

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Re: So We, Sikhs Want a Homeland?

Was booze banned in the Sikh Empire or were all the Sikhs knocking back glasseys and then going moghul bashing?

Was it? You tell me....because I don't know the answer to that question

Let's park it for now and consider some of the issues SPNAdmin Ji raised in a recent post about the relationship between religion and state and the nature of the governance of the homeland and it's approach to law and justice

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010

Was it? You tell me....because I don't know the answer to that question

Let's park it for now and consider some of the issues SPNAdmin Ji raised in a recent post about the relationship between religion and state and the nature of the governance of the homeland and it's approach to law and justice

Why do we need to look at things as if we never had a homeland..... we had a homeland, so how did Ranjit SIngh do it?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I am now truly ROFLMAO Seekero ji. Am I right as usual? ;( Who can say?

My concern is that constitutional questions have to be taken very seriously because in the end they help us understand whether we can live in a particular place as dissenters without fear of imprisonment or even death. All the democracies of the world continually revisit the questions of religious freedom and religious dissent. The pendulum continually swings back and forth. An important question would be: Is there aconstitutional framework for making decisions that can be fair to everyone, not just the majority? For deciding on both civil marriages, partying that is going on, and more without turning to "divine principles" and turning the "divine" into the "ultimate decider" according to divine henchmen.

The Sikh Rehat Maryada has a pretty good understanding of how diverse groups can make decisions collectively. Unfortunately, as I see it, the Sikh Rehat Maryada is not universally valued, and could be turned into a framework for oppression, unless those questions about religion and state are seriously addressed.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

I would not spill my blood for a homeland or any sort. I would spill my blood to protect my people from aggregation and nothing more.

Ok folks..may I respectfully suggest we park the bloodspilling stuff for now and see if we can develop a discussion around the basis of governance.....

As SPNAdmin Ji noted, desires and wishes are often stated but some of the harder issues are not given a good airing....

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010

SIkh homeland would be branded through currency, just like UK has the Queen on all the notes

Guru Nanak Dev Ji said, if you are a Hindu then be a good Hindu, if you are a Muslim then be a good Muslim..... therefore you owuld obviously have to allow people of ther faiths to be allowed to continue to to worship their scriptures

About the Law, well it would be like the UK, it would not discriminate omn your religion - one law for all. It would have to be seperate from religion to do that

Homeland would simply mean your own currency, you own governemnt, your own army and thats about it really

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Was booze banned in the Sikh Empire or were all the Sikhs knocking back glasseys and then going moghul bashing?

This statement seems to be taking something that is historically amazing, complex, and full of insights into the mind of a military and political genius to the level of a neighborhood rumble organized by some drunk hoodlums who don't like the guys 4 streets away. You may think it is humorous. But it isn't.

There are many threads here about Sher e Punjab and how he created the "Sikh Empire." Read them and stop being foolish. And stop coming back to the issue of pubs, clubs, glasseys and parties that are going on. You are being sarcastic - yes we get it.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

Why do we need to look at things as if we never had a homeland..... we had a homeland, so how did Ranjit SIngh do it?

How did he? tell us please

Referring to a past state in a very different world scene is interesting. So what can we learn from that and use now to address the current desire for establishing a homeland?

Some sort of system is required...or are you just assuming that some political / intellectual person will come up with a viable option?

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010

Referring to a past state in a very different world scene is interesting. So what can we learn from that and use now to address the current desire for establishing a homeland?

Some sort of system is required...or are you just assuming that some political / intellectual person will come up with a viable option?

I had a think about it, here is my answer re-pasted:

SIkh homeland would be branded through currency, just like UK has the Queen on all the notes

Guru Nanak Dev Ji said, if you are a Hindu then be a good Hindu, if you are a Muslim then be a good Muslim..... therefore you owuld obviously have to allow people of ther faiths to be allowed to continue to to worship their scriptures

About the Law, well it would be like the UK, it would not discriminate omn your religion - one law for all. It would have to be seperate from religion to do that

Homeland would simply mean your own currency, you own governemnt, your own army and thats about it really

Addition: your own trade routes and economy - basically an enterprise to grow and nourish your people<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Actually I am not surprised. Most Internet discussions of a Sikh homeland always come down, really down, to personal myths and theories about what it would be like. The myths and theories seem to come from more individual myths and theories that are born in sorrow, from generations of sadness, betrayal and feelings of powerlessness. The discussions end up where we are right now. That is also why I rarely participate in them. Today, I deviated from my personal policy to avoid such discussions. I hope I did share some things to consider in more serious moments.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

What currency?
How would it be traded on the market?
How would it compare to the Rupee? Better? Worse?
Would occupants of the new homeland find themselves worse off as the new currency carries a lower value than the Rupee? This happened to some EU states when they joined the Euro. And that debate started several years ago and is still going strong.
Please understand there is more to this than just printing bits of paper.......currency markets are known to be volatile and ruthless.

Re law, you are suggesting then that it would not be based on Sikhism....so why do it at all? Why not just live in an existing democracy that already has such laws and just continue to practice Sikhism?

Where does the army come from? Would there be sufficient numbers to form a credible national defence....please note I am not querying ability or intent to join but just numbers of people
Where does it get it's kit, vehicles, arms etc
Where does the money come from?

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

Actually I am not surprised. Most Internet discussions of a Sikh homeland always come down, really down, to personal myths and theories about what it would be like. The myths and theories seem to come from more individual myths and theories that are born in sorrow, from generations of sadness, betrayal and feelings of powerlessness. The discussions end up where we are right now. That is also why I rarely participate in them. Today, I deviated from my personal policy to avoid such discussions. I hope I did share some things to consider in more serious moments.

Yes I can see very similar discussions to the last one I participated in. To date I have never understood the necessity of such a place nor have I ever seen a credible explanation of how such a place would be established and then run and recognised on the world scene

It's been an interesting diversion from my studies ...no more, no less

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

We do not knwo what the current desire to have a homeland is... or do you know?

I'm not aware of any statistical analysis but this sort of thread has been discussed in the past so I guess we can infer some level of interest and desire

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010

What currency?
How would it be traded on the market?
How would it compare to the Rupee? Better? Worse?
Would occupants of the new homeland find themselves worse off as the new currency carries a lower value than the Rupee? This happened to some EU states when they joined the Euro. And that debate started several years ago and is still going strong.
Please understand there is more to this than just printing bits of paper.......currency markets are known to be volatile and ruthless.

Re law, you are suggesting then that it would not be based on Sikhism....so why do it at all? Why not just live in an existing democracy that already has such laws?

Where does the army come from? Would there be sufficient numbers to form a credible national defence....please note I am not querying ability or intent to join but just numbers of people
Where does it get it's kit, vehicles, arms etc
Where does the money come from?

Exactly!!! You hit all the points on the head!

Just like the UK was enriched through the British Empire in their window of opportunity, we cannot do the same. They basically looted other countries, traded on their commodities like opium, tea, spices, gold, diamonds and sent that money back to the UK

Its not like Punjab is a oil rich place..... so it it quite possible that we would become a poverty stricken country

Your points which are very good which lean towards not needing a homeland becuase its too late - this is a valid point!

As I said earlier maybe we should think about increasing our awarness in places like the USA where no one knows what we are

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

Dear Badshah Ji

Good point at the end...awareness raising is always a worthwhile activity

There's another good recent thread about whether there is a need for a renaissance in Sikhism which you may like to read

hparmar

SPNer
Nov 5, 2010

Dear Badshah Ji

Good point at the end...awareness raising is always a worthwhile activity

There's another good recent thread about whether there is a need for a renaissance in Sikhism which you may like to read

i agree with both of you this is what i stated earlier that if we the Sikhs that like in countries outside India just take the time to impress our identity to others it would go a long way in helping us not be victims of abuse in the future.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

i agree with both of you this is what i stated earlier that if we the Sikhs that like in countries outside India just take the time to impress our identity to others it would go a long way in helping us not be victims of abuse in the future.

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life, and I pray to do it right.

Oct 29, 2010
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} </style> <![endif]--> All Contributors

I have enjoyed the discussion and marked thanks to the comments I think have direction required but all have contributed to liven the story. We are discussing the subject 'Homeland for Sikhs' however we are basing our comments on present day inference of the state of Punjab under Indian administration.
I beieve we have lost direction completely of what is required for a functioning state. I am not an expert in this field but have experience of designing and building machines. I will if I may liken this to a machine. And simpler the machine easier it is to repair if it misfunctions for any reason.
If the machine is designed and built on sound sceintific and engineering principles it will function and survive the rigours of operation and deliver the necessary output for a span of time.
Similarly a state would have to be based on equally sound principles. Guru Gobind Singh, Banda Bahadur, Ranjit Singh all knew that and they were the people whe were true to a faith uncovered by the Nanaks and associates.
One of these principles was being true to yourself and to god.
I believe this is a profound statement for a Sikh and if he/she believes in this it does not leave much else wanting to build a family or a state.

Let us see what we require for a 'self sustaining state'
1. Resources a) Manpower, b)Material, c) Management, d) trade
2. Alegiance/Loyalty - to a) State, b) Leader, c) Government, d) faith
3. Security - a) Law, b) Police, c) Army

If the leader is not true to himself/lord there is no hope in hell of him trying to instil loyalty in his people. This I believe what disintegrated the Sikh Empire? after Ranjit Singh when the followers preferred greed and sacrificed their allegiance to the leader - may the leader was not true to the cause anyway!
Today we cannot even manage a government because people involved like to have their pictures posted all over than deeds and consequences of their deeds.
The police for some reason believe that they only need to count money than uphold law.
The law courts work on basis of British Law may be with some modifications but lack morality - which I think should come from basic Sikh beliefs.

Now we have Resources (Punjab) is a net contributor to Indian economy and second only to Delhi so even with its wings clipped to not fly it can be considered to be viable a state.
It may need to import material - which country does not. Management at personal level and 'farm' type industry level must be good enough to be #2 in the country. Management after that goes to 'greed ridden' humans with elephant heads as someone put it elswhere - who have no consideration for people outside their 'family panth'

So why we need a sikh state (there are many types of Sikhs but values shared with Nanaks) is because at least these people Hindu, Muslim, Sikh who I hope know who huddled them into sikh fold and what he taught them. It is easier to establish a law that has some common moral value for the 'community' than with people who do not have that belief! Ranjit Singh achieved it so why cant we?
BECAUSE we are not 'true to a faith' a faith that brings us together - that faith that the British took us away from by offering greed (like rishwat that we are experts at now - at all levels), 'humans with elephant heads' are taking it away from us now by exploiting a minority who can be likend to ones who betrayed Ranjt Singh and his followers, by fabricating doubts in what was established by Guru Gobind Singh and other smaller issuesI hope all will recall the story about a mother who takes her son to a wise man for help to stop the child eating too many sweets. The wise man sends them back and asks them to come back in two week's time - when they return the wise man pronunces 'son too many sweets are not good for you' ! Mother puzzled and asked him sir you could have said that two weeks ago - no said the wise man I also ate sweets at that time!

Can we find that wise man/woman for our leader?

Some one who advocates very few rules, emphasis on truth and morality based on Nanaks' teachings - so we do not tangle ourselves in net of laws.

Oct 29, 2010

Dear SPNADMIN,

I think we have talent and knowledge in Punjab. We do not have leadership but we do have a strong 'greed driven mentality'
We have a very powerful tool by which we can get every voice a vote (Worldwideweb). By this means it is possible to reduce the poisioning of minds, by political activists, of the general public.

We have people who, from what I see, are true to our Gurus, and achieving far more than the 'government of Punjab' with funds as 'hands of people' and their donations.

This sort of work is real commitment - people who help are worthy people - they will defend the work and what they have produced and if we publicise it - it will attract more worthy people into the fold and hopefully shame the leaders/government and make people aware of the inadequacy of their abilities and resolve to help the nation.

See the video below and much more on the net - let us find and publicise more of these types of people to unseat the 'corroupt and unhealthy leadership' both from the government and the gurdwara leadership to bring the Guru's teachings back into forefront. This can only be done by doers like Baba Balbir Singh.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYdlhswVac&feature=related

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM