• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Siri Guru Granth Sahib

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Hi,
I´m currently reading the SGGS and I came upon some phrases I didn´t understand. So if anyone knows please give me some backgroundinformation or interpretations, links to other thread about it would help too.

By actions committed under the influence of the three qualities, hope and anxiety are produced. Without the Guru, how can anyone be released from these three qualities? Through intuitive wisdom, we meet with Him and find peace. Within the home of the self, the Mansion of His Presence is realized when He bestows His Glance of Grace and washes away our pollution.

--- What are the three qualities?

Bring the twentyseven elements of the body under your control, and throughout the three stages of life, remember death. See the Infinite Lord in the ten directions, and in all the variety of nature. Says Nanak, in this way, the One Lord shall carry you across.

--- can anyone summarize the 27 elements of the body? :)

I know that it´s maybe not that important to understand the meaning of it but I´m curious. I´m sure I´ll be comming along some more questions as I continue. :)
Thanks for your help.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Three Qualities (of Maya)
Ang 1123:

ਰਜ ਗੁਣ ਤਮ ਗੁਣ ਸਤ ਗੁਣ ਕਹੀਐ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਭ ਮਾਇਆ ॥

Raajas, the quality of energy and activity; Taamas, the quality of darkness and inertia; and Satvas, the quality of purity and light, are all called the creations of Maya, Your illusion.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
27 Elements:

5 Karmendriyas - organs of action:
VAK - Speech,
PANI - Handling,
PADA - Movement, locomotion,
PAYU - Excretion,
UPASTHA - Generative, reproduction.

5 Janendriyas - sense organs:
SROTRA - Ear
TVAK - Skin
CAKSU - Eyes
RASANA - Tongue
GHRANA - Nose

5 Tanmatras - subtle elements:
SABDA - Sound sensations
SPARSA - Touch sensations
RUPA - Form sensations
RASA - Taste sensations
GANDHA - Smell sensations

6 Kancukas - the coverings of the universal aspects of consciousness(Maya and its five evolutes):
MAYA - The origin of illusion and duality, The following five KANCUKAS have their origin in MAYA TATTVA and are in charge of binding PURUSHA, the individual Self, in the temporal illusion of separateness and an individual identity (AHAMKARA - the small identity-self ego)
KAAL - Limitation in time,binds us in the temporal holographic illusion that we are confined and limited by time. KALa is the principle of Time.
VIDYA - Limitation of knowledge, binds us in the temporal holographic illusion that we can acquire only limited knowledge.
RAGA - Limitation in satisfaction, giving rise to desire for various objects
KALAA - Limitation of eternity, binds us in the temporal holographic illusion that we can only have a limited power of action, energy, and creativity.
NIYATI - Limitation of freedom. Giving rise to limitations of space and cause.

3 Antahakaran - the inner instrument mind
BUDDHI - Ascertaining intelligence
AHAMKARA -Ego, self making principle
MANAS - Conceptual consciousness

3 Gunas - These are born from nature, and bind the imperishable soul to the body:
SATTVA - Light or truth(the quality of purity and light)
RAJAS - Passion or desire(the quality of energy and activity)
TAMAS - Indifference or darkness(the quality of darkness and inertia)

Sangat Ji, Please correct me if I made any mistake somewhere.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
svea00

Thanks to Sardaa123 -- giving us a start. I am going to add a little more about the 3 qualities below. And please make yourself familiar with this website below when you are curious about the meanings of terms, concepts or principles. You can find answers to many questions like the ones you have asked at.

Introduction to Sikhism - Section III: Principles

and

Sikh Missionary Society (U.K.)
Q46. Who is a saint?

A saint need not follow any recognizable form. He will be known by his qualities. A saint unattached to the five deadly sins. He must be pure in thought, word and deed. He is unaffected by the three qualities, of darkness, activity and goodness- Tamas, Rajas and Satav respectively. A saint should regard himself only as an humble servant of God. He voluntarily surrenders himself wholly to His Will. He accepts God as his only prop and support.
A saint is not chained by the fetters of rituals, social regulations or public opinion. He is dedicated to the mission of Bhagti, spreading "The Name" among the masses.
A saint sees God in everything and therefore loves all. He lives in the world and yet remains unattached to its objects. Guru Arjan has summed up the characteristics of a saint in these words:
"The saint realizes the presence of God at all hours,
He regards the will of God as sweet,
His only support is 'The Name'.
He is humble to seek the dust of all...
He finds comfort in melodious Kirtan.
He regards friends and foes alike.
He knows none as well as he knows God."
[SIZE=-1](A.G. p392)[/SIZE]​
A man of God should not keep himself aloof from his fellowmen. He mixes freely with them volunteering to serve them and satisfy their wants. For him, no one is high or low. His love radiates equally to all. A saint is in the image of God. Meeting him illumines the mind and confirms the devotee in "the remembrance of The Name." A man of God should follow both personal and social ethics. He is just, tolerant, patient, modest, generous and merciful. He leads an ideal life and is pure and clean. He sets an example for others to follow, not through pride but through humility. He loves to save a lost soul like a shepherd going in search of a strayed lamb. He proceeds slowly and steadily to redeem the wicked ones and bring them to righteous path.

Source for this is Introduction to Sikhism at above link.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM