• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Singh Is Kinng - A Review

Notay

SPNer
Jun 18, 2008
hi

i saw it on the release date, it was a bit funny in some places, had a bit on gurbani and its teaching if i remember, but the main thing i think it made us Sikhs look like total idoits! In some of the bollywood films that i have seen with sikh actors or actors acting to be sikh they have always put sikhs out to be stupid drinking fools who appear uneducated with no common sense! why is that always the case, why cant directors show sikhs as they are, as warriors, saint soldiers and the like. If 'singh is king' then show him as a singh!
And plus the story line was pretty stupid too! in my opinion 2/5 stars

vnayz

SPNer
Aug 11, 2008
I fail to understand how a movie can shake our belief/self image...are we as sikhs that fragile, i am embarrased and irritated to see hooligans out on the street brandishing swords and causing damage to public property at the slightest provocation. Lets not forget we live in the world of 24x7 News Channels, such antics only helps trigger a "feeding frenzy" by these News Sharks...ones that happens, dont cry when u hear somebody chide you with a "dekho, sardar pagal ho gaye"

On a personal note, I didn't get round myself to go watch the movie just because I wasnt sure I would like the way sikhs would be depicted in it. I am clad to see not one adverse comment on the movie here.

I think we live in a democratic setup (thank god when i look around in our immediate neighbourhood) and other peoples freedom of speech and creativity shouldn't be stifled...having said that, with such freedom also comes great responsibility and I belive people should be careful not to hurt the sentiments of others.

ps...i went watch Bachna Aye Haseno...Kunal Kapoor plays the role of the husband to one of the leading ladies...must say he looked stunning and none of the stereotypes usually associated with sikhs in hindi movies

vnayz

SPNer
Aug 11, 2008
@Notey...u mentioned why directors dont depict sikhs as warriors, saint soldiers and the like. If 'singh is king' then show him as a singh!.....

I ask...why aren't sikhs depicted as what they really are...'normal human beings'

Notay

SPNer
Jun 18, 2008
@Notey...u mentioned why directors dont depict sikhs as warriors, saint soldiers and the like. If 'singh is king' then show him as a singh!.....

I ask...why aren't sikhs depicted as what they really are...'normal human beings'

hi!

thats a good question why arent sikhs shown as normal humans who also play a part to this world. one thing is our religion is pretty reserved too, i mean alot of people do not know much about us usually due to lack of education hence the little things they do know is that some are good drinkers! i believe it is up to our religion and us to show ourselves to the world so that we can enlighten others and not be reserved. i read a topic somewhere written by a non-sikh who is an atheist critising the major religions of the world stating that our religion was the one that made sense to him but that we are laid back in showing to the world who we trully are and hence he could not find anything to critise about our religion. (i will see if i can find the article again and upload it at some date)

isn't it time we made a status in this world, the 9/11 really ruined us. the media is obviously a good way but anything seen by the media is always taken for granted hence that is why i say that in the films and stuff they need to show us for what we are..saint soldiers of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji to help keep the sacrifices and memories of the Gurus/religion true and alive.

this is just my opinion i hope i haven't offended anyone. 'pul chuk maaf'

i read a topic somewhere written by a non-Sikh who is an atheist critising the major religions of the world stating that our religion was the one that made sense to him but that we are laid back in showing to the world who we trully are and hence he could not find anything to critise about our religion. (i will see if i can find the article again and upload it at some date)

I think this is the article that Notay is talking about. where the atheists talk about Sikhism and how they couldn't find anything to critize Sikhism about.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_CmpaumYPcoQ...+Different+Religions+by+Atheists+enlarged.jpg

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Nicely saidPK70....its good to get out of the Box once in a while.

Really out of the box woman dancing half naked we all know Sikh girls perfer to dress this way now.

Whatever way a Sikh girl dresses, I have noticed that they dress in many different ways. Even Sikhs cannot agree as to how a Sikh woman should dress. Turban , no turban etc etc.

...and why just Sikh women. If you watched the film you would know there is a disclaimer at the begining that this is not a religious film.

Right Randip. They only forgot one thing in the movie a sex scene because Sikhs have sex as well. OOOO man why didnt they put one in.

I think your comments are a bit over the top and a bit extreme. What have sex scenes got to do with with dancing. Now if you have thought's of Kaam when you seen a scantily clad woman then that is YOUR problem, not the woman's.

I have an idea we should have women dressed head to tow in Hijab's in Sikhism too because Sikh men cannot cope with Kaam..:happy:

Overall they really did a great job of combining two religions into one. Kinda reminds of some movement in a country.

Groups like AKJ, GNSSJ, DDT etc etc already have combined Sikhism with vaishnavism. If the film showed that then it no different to how people already behave.

OOO well it'll click in when its all said and done. What a way to show the Truesikhs.

Define a true Sikh?

True Sikh accorsing to the AKJ? True Sikh according to the GNNSJ? or a Sikh according to the Sikh rehat maryada?

In any case there is a disclaimer at the beginning that states this is not a religious film. These people just happen to be Sikh.

Why should anyone question this movie just be happy they made a movie about Sikhs. After all Sikhs are just a minority and who cares about them.

99.99999% of Sikhs are happy with the film. Just a few loony tunes are not! :rofl!!::crazy:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
hi

i saw it on the release date, it was a bit funny in some places, had a bit on gurbani and its teaching if i remember, but the main thing i think it made us Sikhs look like total idoits!

Could you specify scene's where Sikh's were made to be total idiots? Maybe I missed them?

In some of the bollywood films that i have seen with sikh actors or actors acting to be sikh they have always put sikhs out to be stupid drinking fools who appear uneducated with no common sense! why is that always the case, why cant directors show sikhs as they are, as warriors, saint soldiers and the like. If 'singh is king' then show him as a singh!
And plus the story line was pretty stupid too! in my opinion 2/5 stars

You mean films like Border where the Sikh's are shown to be brave courageous soldiers at the Battle of Longewal?

or maybe Lakshay where a Mona Sikh is shown heading the Operation in Kargil?

or Roti Kapda Aur Makhan, where the Sikh is shown as brave and fearless and beheads the villains?

I think Bollywood has a lot too answer for (I gerally despise it), but we should support people who show us to be human beings, and condem the ones that show as as fools )Jo Bole Soh Nihal, Shoot Out at Lokhiwada etc)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Please elaborate as "random" quotes do not help.

small boxes= narrow approach towards life.
If we see the world as only we are correct, we cannot ever correct ourselves. If we think always that all are joking about us, we certainly will miss a lot of stuff which actually goes in our favor. Hope it is enough elaboration

Randip Singh ji, have you ever heard of thinking of others. Instead of sitting there and worrying about yourself 24/7. Think about what kind of impression this type of movie would have on the youth. The future Sikhs of this world. The title is named Singh is King, then it shows content where a singh is drinking and dancing with women as you would put it scantily clad women. Is that the image that Guru ji teaches us to present or promote to anyone? Then, again some would say what about all the dirt on tv. Yeah its there, but they dont label the show SINGH IS KING and show this kind of content. These types of films are made to distort the Sikhs that do not have the knowledge like the YOUTH; the one's that are still learning about Sikhi. Movies are seen by the masses and have huge influence on people. Through out the whole movie they repeat Singh is King, nothing wrong with that but then they show the Singh drinking; putting the two together. Repetition is the best way to get someone to believe in something. Repeating things over and over until to the person it becomes the facts. So before calling someones response extreme ask yourself am I the only person in this world?

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
Randipji, what exactly are these organizations AKJ, GNSSJ, and DDT? I thought AKJ was just peculiar way of doing simran. I'm suprised to learn they might be different faction. Is the DDT = Damdami Taksal? If so, how can they be combined with Vaishinism? They have produced some great Gianis and Brahmgianis?

Kindly clarify at your convience.
Jaspreet

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip Singh ji, have you ever heard of thinking of others. Instead of sitting there and worrying about yourself 24/7.

I am not worried about myself thanks.

Think about what kind of impression this type of movie would have on the youth.

No different from any other Bollywood movie. Except this shows some Sikh's, and quite frankly has something to say about how we take our warrior side to the extreme (in this case criminality).

The future Sikhs of this world. The title is named Singh is King, then it shows content where a singh is drinking and dancing with women as you would put it scantily clad women.

Guess what, Singh's do drink, and copiously.

As for scantily dressed women, I never really noticed them, but I do see them all the time in the Summer here in the UK and it really does not bother me. It does not cause me to have sexual urges. It does not cauuse me to think lesser of that woman. I accept and move on.

Is that the image that Guru ji teaches us to present or promote to anyone?

This is not a religious film and does not pretend to be, in fact it talks about how Sikh's have lost their way in many scenes.

Then, again some would say what about all the dirt on tv. Yeah its there, but they dont label the show SINGH IS KING and show this kind of content.

No thye show worse. they show Sikh's usually as meek, subservient, pathetic people, unable to do anything. Even worse they show them as victims.

These types of films are made to distort the Sikhs that do not have the knowledge like the YOUTH; the one's that are still learning about Sikhi.

It's not a religious film so how? It does not pretend to say anything about Sikhi so how?

Movies are seen by the masses and have huge influence on people. Through out the whole movie they repeat Singh is King, nothing wrong with that but then they show the Singh drinking; putting the two together.

Newsflas....Sikh's drink!

I don't think people are so ficle as to think your average designer bearded, starched pugged Singh walking down Soho Road represents religious Sikhism.

Repetition is the best way to get someone to believe in something. Repeating things over and over until to the person it becomes the facts. So before calling someones response extreme ask yourself am I the only person in this world?

Actually I replied to your very very sarcastic response, and it was very extreme.

The facts are as follows:

• It was not a religious film
  • It did not pretend to be a religious film
  • The main protagonists had in fact abandoned the Sikh path
  • the main hero was Sikh but not a religious one
  • one can still have Sikh values without being an Amritdhari and these fellows were not Amritdhari
  • the main hero infact brings them back on to the Sikh path - which does not mean necessarily being Amritdhari.
I think the main confusion here is that everytime a Sikh should be portrayed on screen he should be portrayed as an Amritdhari. The reality is most Sikh's are not Amritdhari. This film just portrays that reality. It's just typical Bollywood, and should be treated as such, and not some BIG religious film, which it is not.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randipji, what exactly are these organizations AKJ, GNSSJ, and DDT? I thought AKJ was just peculiar way of doing simran. I'm suprised to learn they might be different faction. Is the DDT = Damdami Taksal? If so, how can they be combined with Vaishinism? They have produced some great Gianis and Brahmgianis?

Kindly clarify at your convience.
Jaspreet

These organisation do not necessarily follow the Sikh Rehat marayada......they disagree with it.. An example the DDT Rehat Maryada talks about not harming a "black cow".

The AKJ argue that one of the 5 k's is a keski.

GnSSJ pay reverence to their Sant and have picture of him in their Gurudwara.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: