• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhs In Bollywood

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Sikhs in Bollywood Can Bollywood even dare to make a movie depicting the real nature of RSS? Take a shot at truth for a change.

The Sikhs have repeatedly underlined their mis-representation and caricaturization in Bollywood churnings and had pleaded their case even before Asma Jahangir, UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, during her visit to Mumbai last year.

Despite continuing protests from the community, various producers and directors continue their demeaning portrayals of Sikhs and depiction of stereotyped and offensive Sikh images in Bollywood movies and television serials.

Indian democracy is made up of a host of ethnic, social and religious peoples. The sick jokes about Sikhs in Bollywood are testing the distress level of the lay Sikh and may even have dangerous social ramifications and repercussions.

Unlike Raj Thackeray, the Sikhs have so far kept their patience. The fact that the industry has many well known Punjabis in its ranks should have helped sensitisation but obviously thisis not the case. and various films continue to take a jibe at the Sikh identity every now and then.

New Delhi has failed to set up a mechanism to ensure that community and gender sensitivities are respected in cinema. The film industry cannot hide behind the false image of a bunch of people in Sikh garb, like Navjot Sidhu, to claim that some sections have no objection to such depiction.

Such people may have their vested reasons to flaunt their socalled secular approach and gain popularity in the bargain but the plethora of Santa-Banta jokes has to come to an end. Poking fun at a community through malicious jokes is hardly a sign of any mature democracy or high art.

Many journalists and academics have in recent times started suggesting that somehow the identity markers like turban are of increasingly no use and Sikhs may well shun these and that "it would not make them any lesser Sikhs." At times, we are being told that Sikhs must see these jokes through the prism of a sense of humour. We are asked if jokes can be harmful?

But the people who ask questions is that language can be a huge weapon and yes, jokes can be very very harmful. It is pertinent to remember that Karan Johar did not try to convince Raj Thackeray that calling Mumbai Bombay was not harmful. He knew the consequences of goons landing up at cinema halls.

Indian politician in the mid-1980s and the Bollywood cinema have made their contribution in first tagging Sikhs as “terrorists” and then doing the same to Muslims. Can Bollywood even dare to make a movie depicting the real nature of RSS? Take a shot at truth for a change.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Sikhs is bollywood are traitors of community.They also portray sardars as funny creatures.
Recently i have seen Wanted in which salman khan is hero.Though it is well known fact underworld is controlled by muslims but there is hardly any case where a Top level policemen which are fighting with them are muslims.But in the film they have shown a commisioner fighting underworld a religious muslim.I have seen this trend in many Salman khan's movies.On the hand except the role of jokers hardly any role is given to sardars
barring 2-3 films.Salman is a guy who is hardly a practising muslim but still he is with his community.

One always surprises me why sikhs who don't practice sikhism become traitor of community
they also make fun and make life of a praticising sikh more difficuilt
Many muslims make movies on Gujarat 2002 but hardly any sikh made a big budget movie
about 1984

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Notice...that after decades of being in the doldrums..PUNJABI CINEMA finally began to make good films and make a name for itself....what happened..BOLLYWOOD jumped in with their high budgets and big names..and began to make "Punjabi" movies in HINDI....and the REAL Punjabi Cinema is suffering a backlash...imho..this is an attempt to KILL the Genuine Punjabi Cinema..and when its dead..the bollywood "punjabi cinema in HINDI" guys will abandon the Punjabiayat..and go abck to whatever they were doing...

Aug 31, 2009
Call me what ever I left NOIDA an adjoining town of Delhi mainly because of these jokes.I am in Punjab because I did not want my children to be humiliated by the filthy jokes.Once I gave two slaps to a coleague in the office for cracking filthy jokes on Sikhs.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Notice...that after decades of being in the doldrums..PUNJABI CINEMA finally began to make good films and make a name for itself....what happened..BOLLYWOOD jumped in with their high budgets and big names..and began to make "Punjabi" movies in HINDI....and the REAL Punjabi Cinema is suffering a backlash...imho..this is an attempt to KILL the Genuine Punjabi Cinema..and when its dead..the bollywood "punjabi cinema in HINDI" guys will abandon the Punjabiayat..and go abck to whatever they were doing...

Punjabi movies are even worse.You could find a good role given to saradar in hindi film but not in Punjabi.They are mainly jatt movies with bragging about jatt culture

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
There is a strange but true thing.

In Telgu films and Malyalam once we find that Sikhs are comedians.

But in Bhojpuri and Tamil films das has seen Sikhs shown as an essential help for Hero as per their true character.

Das forgets the name in one tamil film, Sikh is shown to save hero from goons in Delhi and hero wife calls him just like father.

In one Ravi Kishan and nagma starer Bhojpuri film a Sirdar Bhai gives sheter of poor hero-heroine cuople stuck up in london.

In past during 1980's turmoil it was in Bhojpuri film starred by Shartughana Sinha, issue of forces migrations of Sikhs from Hindi areas by goons.

Oct 16, 2009
In a Telugu film named "kalapani" which was based on the freedom struggle i saw they have given a good role to a Sikh character who fights for the nation as a side hero i was happy and proud to see this and although the movie was in Telugu(or Malayalam maybe) still i watched the whole film.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Punjabi movies are even worse.You could find a good role given to saradar in hindi film but not in Punjabi.They are mainly jatt movies with bragging about jatt culture

Isnt calling people Jatt suppsoed to be Jaati-suchak and anti law in India ?

I agree with YOU..I NEVER let my family watch nay of those movies...all Gaandh...just LOUD shouting of bad words..fighting 24/7 over land, woman raping etc etc..

BUT what i was referring to are the recent MANN Punjabi Movies...although lacking in certain ways..they are quite GOOD.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: