• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Sikhism In The Light Of Bible

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
enjoyable hour, had a quick look at the website,

Doctrinal Statement
We believe that the King James Bible is the word of God without error.

We believe that salvation is by grace through faith. Being born again by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is the only requirement for salvation.

We believe in the eternal security of the believer (once saved, always saved).

We believe that the unsaved will spend eternity in torment in a literal hell.

We believe that Jesus is God, and that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Ghost and born of the virgin Mary.

We believe only in the local church and not in a universal church.

We reject the teaching of Calvinism and believe that God wants everyone to be saved.

We believe that the rapture will take place after the tribulation but before God pours out his wrath on this earth. We reject dispensationalism.
We believe that life begins at conception (fertilization) and reject all forms of abortion including surgical abortion, "morning-after" pills, IVF (In Vitro Fertilization), birth control pills, and all other processes that end life after conception.

We believe that homosexuality is a sin and an abomination which God punishes with the death penalty.

We oppose worldliness, modernism, formalism, and liberalism.

Well, not sure about you folks, but I feel kind of happy we do not have the seal of approval...

However it is interesting to note that the facets of Sikhism he picks on, have all been the subject of debate on this forum. I personally do not recognise the Sikhism he describes, I wonder if any do?

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
It is not his fault. He only knows what he reads in the books written by Sikhs on Gurbani. As a matter of fact vast majority of Sikhs have no idea what Gurbani is. To them its book worshiping.

I love the poetry of Guru Teg Bajadar and Bhagat Kabir. I understand very little from the rest of Gurbani.

It teaches me that the " Truth " is the God and its only truth that can free a mind from the body while one is alive. Truth can be understood easy its the mind that is complicated. Bowing to truth or to any book does absolutely no good its only understanding.

Baid Quran paday ka kya gun, Khar Chandan ser Bhara,
Ram naam ke ghat nahi Jani, Kaisay utras par? (SGGS)

What is the point of reciting and remembering Baid or Quran, Its like loading a Mule with Sandlewood , to him its weight weather its Sandlewood or dirt. If you fail to understand Value of truth, how you hope to attain salvation.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Sure he is victim of boredom who placed his justification in finding faults of others. To this type people guru sahib say, 'ਧਿਗੁ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਦਾ ਜੀਵਿਆ ਜਿਨਾ ਵਿਡਾਣੀ ਆਸ ॥੨੧॥. Partly it is the mistake of our scholar who have literally translated the sabd and give these type of people chance. We all know that birds don't take name of God but since guru sahib have quoted, what he is trying to says, 'ਜੋ ਬੋਲਤ ਹੈ ਮ੍ਰਿਗ ਮੀਨ ਪੰਖੇਰੂ ਸੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਪਤ ਹੈ ਨਹੀ ਹੋਰ ॥੩॥ that birds and animal remain in His rajja but it is human who revolts against His rajja like wise, ' ਅਕ ਸਿਉ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਅਕ ਤਿਡਾ ਅਕ ਡਾਲੀ ਬਹਿ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਖਸਮੈ ਭਾਵੈ ਓਹੋ ਚੰਗਾ ਜਿ ਕਰੇ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥ By being pleased with His rajja, the insect loves the milkweed plant; perched on its branch, it eats it.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Sar Sri Akaal
This guy's actually a pretty good preacher. He seems clear on his position and it appears he's done some homework. But he's a dyed-in-the-wool bible-believing Christian, and I think that's where the problems arise.
Almost any charge he levels against Sikhi could also be pulled from his own bible if read in a certain spirit. I've studied the bible and it's full of absurdities, inconsistencies and atrocities. As a Christian minister, of course he has to lean on his book as being the perfect revelation, but seen in a disinterested light, it's a ridiculous book to hold up as the ideal.
He conflates Sikhi with Hinduism too much (we believe in a 'eight-armed elephant'?!) and misunderstands traditions of respect as some twisted forms of worship, like sukhasan and honouring the foot-water. As I said, the bible is replete with things that could be presented as just as 'absurd', if read in an adversarial spirit (there is a passage in there when the Israelites were demanded by god to make golden figures of their hemorrhoids (!) and make an offering of them. Just one of many bizarre passages).
As much as this preacher mocks the Guru Granth Sahib, the legitimacy of the Bible as a perfect book is a much greater stretch. Who compiled the Guru and whose writings are included is all quite clear. The bible that he holds up as the perfect, infallible scripture, though, is a mish-mash of writings from thousands of years, compiled by disputing councils, translated, {censored}ized and brimming with contradictions.
What is practiced as Christianity today is largely the ideas dreamed up and preached by a guy called 'the apostle Paul', totally removed from the teachings of the guy he lifts up ('Jesus').
I also notice he says we teach the supremacy of the Naam but don't know what the Name is. Outside of the inaccuracy of that charge, I find it funny that he instead says "We know the name of our God: Jesus Christ!"
He claims Sikhs say Guru is God, then proceeds to confuse their 'Guru' with God! Firstly, it's funny to lift up the name 'Jesus' as "the only name by which men can be saved", because just a little research will reveal that 'Jesus' is a Greco-Roman corruption of the actual name 'Yeshua'. But then he says Jesus is God, whereas Jesus Christ merely means Yeshua, the anointed of God, little different than the many other anointed kings and prophets of Israel; 'messiahs'. But he scorns Sikhs for saying the Guru is God.
I could go on...
Sat Naam forever

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM