• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Apr 4, 2007
o right sorry about that then its just till this day i havent seen anyone in india with a tattoo so i just thought they didnt exist

i've seen it mostly in the older generation... an "ek onkar" or "om" tattooed on the hand was pretty common among rural punjabis. also back in the pre-partition days, muslims used to tattoo their wife's name on her arm to show ownership or something... :unsure:

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
body is dust, tattoo it all you want, nothing matters, nothing changes
you are no more holier, no more beautiful than before

tattoo the name of Akal on your soul,
eternal bliss is all you get

kilemba

SPNer
Mar 17, 2008
Tattoos are a personal choice and it is up to the individual to decide. The Gurus taught us to follow the path and did not dictate or force any of us to follow the Khalsa path. We in return should not judge others in their choices.

Harneetbarmy

SPNer
Jul 3, 2008
Well....my take on this issue is as follows:

Rules of religion and society are two different things and should be treated separately.

Let us first take religion. Each religion has its own way of referring to the ultimate power (aka God). Islamists refer to it as Allah, Hindus refer to it as Bhagwaan, we call it Waheguru. Each religion also tells us how to reach the God.

Then comes that social aspect of a religion. The social aspects of a religion drive our appearances. For example, the Rahetnama drived the Sikhs' special appearance. In Islam, Shariat tells that all men must have beard long enough to be grabbed by hand (It is a different issue that not all Muslims follow it).

Then comes the rules of the society we live in. These rules are separate from rules of religion and religion driven social rules. For example, we all wear clothes..No religion tells us that we have to wear clothes....It is "obvious". These social rules have evolved from time to time with the mankind. Some things which were forbiddeen earlier are now acceptable in society. Some ideas are still forbidden and some ideas came and then disappeared as they could not survive the litmus test of time.

Ear piercing was originally used by Moghul invaders to identify women slaves they took from India....And today, it is a fashion. You may even see ear rings/studs with Khanda on it, or a necklace with a Khanda on it. No one objects to them anymore.

Recently, in France, one shoe company came with a shoe design with the pictures of Hindu Lord Rama on them. Now, that was a stupid idea and was killed almost instantly.

Another company came up with a line of underwear with Hindu Gods printed on them....Another stupid idea.

The direction in which some of today's (so called) Sikh youth are moving, I won't be surprised if we will see some girl (or boy) wearing a Khanda shaped stud on her/his belly button and then claim that God will still love her/him. Come on...God will love you whatever stupid thing you do....It's like parents....they love their kids whatever you do...you may scream, you may have arguments, you may do things against their wishes, but parents do not stop loving their kids.

Tattoos are relatively new idea. If it passes the test of time and society, maybe in few years or decades it will be common and everyone will accept it as naturally as we have accepted ear piercing.

We should respect symbols of any religion as you respect your parents.

Regards,

Marvelous answer I am proud to be a SIKH

Jul 26, 2006
I personally believe in sikhism tattoos are not right as shaving our hair & modifying our body is not acceptable .my daughter got khanda tattoo on her wrist just to say that she has done good or in a way to shut us up that she has got religious believes because we were not supporting her to have tattoo

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I personally believe in sikhism tattoos are not right as shaving our hair & modifying our body is not acceptable .my daughter got khanda tattoo on her wrist just to say that she has done good or in a way to shut us up that she has got religious believes because we were not supporting her to have tattoo

Kids are really pips, aren't they? Bless you for being as calm as you are, as philosophical.:star:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
After reading Gurbani again and again, I have started feeling that most of us are more into” don’t do this don’t do that” tattooing is one of them; however, we never take Guru teaching seriously as solely reflecting light towards the Lord. I am not in favor of snubbing children’s a little harmless fun as tattooing is. Having tattoo is bad but living a Hypocritical life is O.K. isn’t it funny? What kind of examples we are setting for the new generation? By having a tattoo the body is not defiled but by telling lies, doing ritualistic Gurbani reciting and living almost contrary to it, shall defile the body more than the tattoo. Our hyper strictness discourages the children to be what we want them to be as Sikhs. Tattooing is very harmless and even after having it, body can remain holy if Guru teachings are taken as wows of commitment to Guru and the Lord. Solely my opinions on it, if any hardliner is offended, sorry; however, truth cannot be hidden with false cover ups.

Jul 26, 2006
As i said tattoos are not acceptable in sikhism but our reason for refusing to accept my daughters tattoo was very personal as she dress up like goth & many of her friends got lots of tattoos , it felt like the beginning of more and more tattoos but tattoo has not change her .she is still same loving beti as she was before .It is very personal decision .when kids grow old enough to make their choices then it is their choice not ours .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
As i said tattoos are not acceptable in sikhism but our reason for refusing to accept my daughters tattoo was very personal as she dress up like goth & many of her friends got lots of tattoos , it felt like the beginning of more and more tattoos but tattoo has not change her .she is still same loving beti as she was before .It is very personal decision .when kids grow old enough to make their choices then it is their choice not ours .

She is your loving "beti" because you are a wise mother, and use wisdom mixed in with love. :idea: No more needs to be said. Would that your wisdom become more widespread! There would be less resentment and controversy in families.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I don't think Bani says anything about this either way does it?

Randip ji, No it does not. And there is very little that is forbidden -- Gurbani rather promoting the ability of each of us to meditate upon our relationship with the Satguru. That is why the arguments over the specifics of life -- tatoos, braids, what we eat, etc. etc. etc. become so hotly contested. These are all practices and prescriptions that evolve within a culture of belief, and become deeply embedded in the human mind. After which it becomes difficult to avoid emotionality. Now just what would happen if we did x? What exactly would happen if we did not do y? The questions challenge culture, and things get emotional, and wisdom is lost.

Just my humble opinion. ;)

Jul 26, 2006
Re: Are we allowed to have Tattoos and Piercings

hello borneo ji ,its very difficult to say what is right or wrong .when i was 12-13 years old my mum had amrit in india .my mum got ears & nose pierced same like most of our grans & nans that did not make them less of sikhs my late dad was born in 1917 he had his name tattooed when he was teenager all his life this wasn,t a questionable issue .Why now .my daughter got khanda tattoo on her wrist that doesn,t make her better or worse person .if our mums are wearing gold stud in their nose it is ok but if a young girl is wearing silver hoop it is objectionable Why is that ? so i can say it is very personal how you take it

hello borneo ji ,its very difficult to say what is right or wrong .when i was 12-13 years old my mum had amrit in india .my mum got ears & nose pierced same like most of our grans & nans that did not make them less of sikhs my late dad was born in 1917 he had his name tattooed when he was teenager all his life this wasn,t a questionable issue .Why now .my daughter got khanda tattoo on her wrist that doesn,t make her better or worse person .if our mums are wearing gold stud in their nose it is ok but if a young girl is wearing silver hoop it is objectionable Why is that ? so i can say it is very personal how you take it

Mrs Ravinder Kaur Kalsiji

Behind everything we do there is a reason and it has a positive or negative affect on our soul. No matter what it is, it affects us directly or indirectly. A tatto and piercing on the body affect a person even if it is the smallest incremental change. Now to say if they don't affect you then why get them? Then getting a tattoo or piercing is a ritual and Sikh are advised not to perform rituals.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

are we allowed to get plastic surgery or any type of surgery for that matter?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

too much of "snip & tuck" lately?

asides,

is cutting of nails allowed?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Singh ji

There are often obvious elements of ridicule and sarcasm in your responses to forum members who express their opinions on topics -- which is what an Internet forum is about -- nothing more and nothing less. This is a warning to temper your sarcasm and ridicule. Next an infraction. Thank you.

Singh ji

There are often obvious elements of ridicule and sarcasm in your responses to forum members who express their opinions on topics -- which is what an Internet forum is about -- nothing more and nothing less. This is a warning to temper your sarcasm and ridicule. Next an infraction. Thank you.

And there two bottom post are not to mock and sarcastic. In my humble opinion i think some people like too choose favorites. And this is not the only time they have mocked others. So quick to warn me but their post go unnoticed.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM