• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism / Advaita Vedanta philosophy

ManSinha

SPNer
Dec 29, 2019
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Guru Pyaari Saadh Sangat Ji

Comparative theology is a hobby of mine

I have recently been studying the philosophy of non duality - Advaita Vedanta - where the entire universe is regarded as contained in the Brahman with everything that goes on being Vyawharika as opposed to the true reality of Parmartika

I was intrigued by the parallels in which our gurbani seems to echo this concept of "The lord in everything and everything in the lord"

Here are a couple of what I believe are supporting lines from the SGGS-ji

Kabeer Mulla Minare Kya Chadhe Sai Na Behraa Hoye
Ja Kaaran Tu Baang De - Dil Hi Bheetar Joye

Aapay maachi machli aapay pani jaal - aapay jaal mankada aapay andar laal

gur kirapaa jeh nar kau keenee teh ieh jugat pachhaanee; naanak leen bhio gobi(n)dh siau jiau paanee sa(n)g paanee

From SDGS - ji

mai na ganeseh piratham manaauoo; kisan bisan kabahoo(n) na dhiaauoo; kaan sune pahichaan na tin so; liv laagee moree pag in so

Thoughts? Reactions? Am I maybe wrong? Maybe right?

Guru Fateh!!

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
SSA ji,
What is Brahman according Advaita philosophy ???

As per my understanding through Gurbani , the whole existence is GOD. both in its Sargun and Nirgun form and governed by Hukum.
The totality of existence is GOD .

Last edited:

ManSinha

SPNer
Dec 29, 2019
Exactly - Brahman is the containment of the entire Universe and I am aware of Guru Arjan Dev's bani
Sargun Nirgun Nirankaar Sun Samadhi Aap - from Sukhmani Sahib

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Exactly - Brahman is the containment of the entire Universe and I am aware of Guru Arjan Dev's bani
Sargun Nirgun Nirankaar Sun Samadhi Aap - from Sukhmani Sahib
But the vedantic philosophy of Brahman cannot be correlated with Gurmat philosophy.
Vedanta claims Brahman is the ultimate
and only truth.

But the texts are themselves not clear about the conception and identity of Brahman.
There are many contradictions in various texts abt brahman.

What is the definition of ultimate truth???

In contrast Gurbani provides a framework of a living philosophy which is practical and useful.

Old_Gorey

SPNer
Jun 17, 2020

I have recently been studying the philosophy of non duality - Advaita Vedanta - where the entire universe is regarded as contained in the Brahman with everything that goes on being Vyawharika as opposed to the true reality of Parmartika

I was intrigued by the parallels in which our gurbani seems to echo this concept of "The lord in everything and everything in the lord"

gur kirapaa jeh nar kau keenee teh ieh jugat pachhaanee; naanak leen bhio gobi(n)dh siau jiau paanee sa(n)g paanee

From SDGS - ji

mai na ganeseh piratham manaauoo; kisan bisan kabahoo(n) na dhiaauoo; kaan sune pahichaan na tin so; liv laagee moree pag in so

Guru Fateh!!

WJKK WJKF
There certainly are similarities. Have you looked into a related Vedanta philosophy called "Vishishtadvaita"? I think you'll find it an even closer fit.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Brahman ie Origin or Generator and than Operator Destroyer.

Those who understands origins are Brahmans.

But Gurus Bani perception is concept of Par Brahm ie Beyond Origin concept. Before GOD and before light.

When Light and sound were not generated than what was there.

What s generated will have life, operated and get destroyed.

That is Nature.

But that is not Generated and cannot be destroyed and was is and will always be operating is TRUTH and belongs to Nature.

It is everlasting, omnipresent.

Any research is a thought perception which has review of all previous, to validated that thought the perception is original and is not like reinventing the wheel. So texting of Granth Sahib is new perceptive realisation, not comprehended and perceived by earlier philosophies.

It is a choice to opt for first invented car or get the latest model.

There is outer research and inner research.
Inner research gives.more depth and research is for further deep end points, that are explored and documented to give a spirit awareness in word form as inheritence to seekers.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki fateh

Last edited:

ManSinha

SPNer
Dec 29, 2019
But the vedantic philosophy of Brahman cannot be correlated with Gurmat philosophy.
Vedanta claims Brahman is the ultimate
and only truth.

But the texts are themselves not clear about the conception and identity of Brahman.
There are many contradictions in various texts abt brahman.

What is the definition of ultimate truth???

In contrast Gurbani provides a framework of a living philosophy which is practical and useful.

The other bani I have run across curiously gives the example of a fish in a vast ocean (ocean IMHO - standing for Brahman = all of creation)

Tu dariy-aao dana beena mein machli kais-ay ant(h) lavaan

Tu dariy-aao sabh tujh hi maa-e tudh bin dooja kol naa-ee

Last edited:

ManSinha

SPNer
Dec 29, 2019
WJKK WJKF
There certainly are similarities. Have you looked into a related Vedanta philosophy called "Vishishtadvaita"? I think you'll find it an even closer fit.

I have explored Vishistadvaita but for me it is less satisfying than the pure Advaita school of thought -

By my (all too poor) understanding Guru Gobind Singh Ji veers towards Vishishtadvaita in the following

Jo Pooja Asket Ki - Nit Prat Kar-ay Banai
Tin Par Apno Haath Dei Asdhuj Let Bachai

implying IMO that the Protector is an external entity who stands apart from the Evil

Last edited:

ManSinha

SPNer
Dec 29, 2019
Sat Sri Akaal,

Brahman ie Origin or Generator and than Operator Destroyer.

Those who understands origins are Brahmans.

But Gurus Bani perception is concept of Par Brahm ie Beyond Origin concept. Before GOD and before light.

When Light and sound were not generated than what was there.

What s generated will have life, operated and get destroyed.

That is Nature.

But that is not Generated and cannot be destroyed and was is and will always be operating is TRUTH and belongs to Nature.

It is everlasting, omnipresent.

Any research is a thought perception which has review of all previous, to validated that thought the perception is original and is not like reinventing the wheel. So texting of Granth Sahib is new perceptive realisation, not comprehended and perceived by earlier philosophies.

It is a choice to opt for first invented car or get the latest model.

There is outer research and inner research.
Inner research gives.more depth and research is for further deep end points, that are explored and documented to give a spirit awareness in word form as inheritence to seekers.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki fateh
Personally I think SGGS made things simpler and easier for all of humanity - no complicated rituals - just straightforward a method to bhavjaal paar utaar

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
I have explored Vishistadvaita but for me it is less satisfying than the pure Advaita school of thought -

By my (all too poor) understanding Guru Gobind Singh veers towards Vishishtadvaita in the following

Jo Pooja Asket Ki - Nit Prat Kar-ay Banai
Tin Par Apno Haath Dei Asdhuj Let Bachai

implying IMO that the Protector is an external entity who stands apart from the Evil
Nature is energy or impulse free from positive and negative, negativity is a choice we make tu use energy, if choice is negative, reaction to think, e motion, speech and action will be negative.

Energy is free from good and evil.

With awareness ie blessing of awareness, one understands that evil is by choice one make. Energy is with everyone granted by Nature to all.

ManSinha

SPNer
Dec 29, 2019
one understands that evil is by choice one make
mmmmm Yes and No to an extent
Guru Gobind Singh did not make a choice to be persecuted by the Mughals - they represented the evil in those times based on their power and desire to convert the masses - Guru-Ji stood up against them but had they not existed - may be some other evil would have in their place

ManSinha

SPNer
Dec 29, 2019
SSA ji,
What is Brahman according Advaita philosophy ???

As per my understanding through Gurbani , the whole existence is GOD. both in its Sargun and Nirgun form and governed by Hukum.
The totality of existence is GOD .

I would agree - Guru Arjan Dev Ji made it clear

Sargun Nirgun Nirankaar Sun Samadhi Aap

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
mmmmm Yes and No to an extent
Guru Gobind Singh did not make a choice to be persecuted by the Mughals - they represented the evil in those times based on their power and desire to convert the masses - Guru-Ji stood up against them but had they not existed - may be some other evil would have in their place

Yes GuruGobnd Singh know the evil choice of muslim leadership and now a reverse working, learned will fight against tyranny, which is not giving survival for all, so all those who are ignorant if the right spirit of others who are spiritually aware and practice the righteous for survival, for which war has to be there. That is Nature and call of Nature and Call from Nature.

The cause was Survival for All which is ( Spiritually Learned wat) not Enemity (Arrogant way by way of intellectual, position and wealth posessions)

Realise the cause to fight. It is GRaCE to humanity.

There is a Differnce in ORIGIN of thought.

Last edited:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Greetings of the Day, Sat Sri Akaal/ Namaskaar,

There is Origin infinity to 0,1,2, and Multiplicity. There is journey of 0 to 1. Through a simplicity and 1 to 2 of duality and further 2 to Multiplicity and Complexity and Infinity.

Focus or Point or Meditate on initial infinity and created infinity one can not, so ONE is the resolve for learning and meditation. That is ORIGIN of learning. To get ORIGIN of events.

Than there is new and latest. Advance research bring new concepts, simplify and refine the old versions.

Though 1st car has wheels and latest car has wheels, and further if it is a car it will have wheels or a flying object.

So advanced do have earlier concept but in a simplified and a better way.

I was attending YOGA workshop, instructor was educating to delete enemity, by way of daily praying, oh my lord remove enemity, will it work.

Without having Undersatnding of ENEMITY and what one is meditating upon, a question was, he wants to erase the history and text of war. And saying child not to read HISTORY and score ZERO.

Or delete the war of Ram and Ravan or Delete Spiritual Text of Chandi. or

Enemity was focused within SELF the choice of Negative Reaction within self for any situation, to resolve for SURVIVAL for ALL principle given by NATURE.

In which all humans have
RIGHT OF SURVIVAL FOR ALL
(SARBAT DA BHALLA)
irrespective of mamade followance of religion / rituals. Principle in Politics/ Business/ Professions rest will have unrest.

Is going to be 1st
FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE of RULE in spiritual society.
whether democracy or no democracy.

It is the understanding which transforms and bring nourishment.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh`

Last edited:

Sikhilove1

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2019

From SDGS - ji

Guru Fateh!!

Gurbani teaches the Truth. The Truth is that the Lord is in everything, and everything is in the Lord. All in One, One in All. We are all One.

Everything is just Truth(Unconditional Love), all created from Nothing, but an unconditional Love.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Gurbani teaches the Truth. The Truth is that the Lord is in everything, and everything is in the Lord. All in One, One in All. We are all One.

Everything is just Truth(Unconditional Love), all created from Nothing, but an unconditional Love.

Sat Sri Akaal,

Life is enjoying UNCONDITIONAL love which is NATURAL, but real is to balance with CONDITIONAL social environment.

SOCIAL life is a challenge for UNCONDITIONAL love (the glimpse of MIND) so do care of EMOTIONS in CONDITIONAL environment of society to persist and go along.

Balance LEARN and TRAIN mind for both to enjoy

CONDITIONAL/ UNCONDITIONAL aspects of life.

for health and happiness.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sikhilove1

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2019
Sat Sri Akaal,

Life is enjoying UNCONDITIONAL love which is NATURAL, but real is to balance with CONDITIONAL social environment.

SOCIAL life is a challenge for UNCONDITIONAL love (the glimpse of MIND) so do care of EMOTIONS in CONDITIONAL environment of society to persist and go along.

Balance LEARN and TRAIN mind for both to enjoy

CONDITIONAL/ UNCONDITIONAL aspects of life.

for health and happiness.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Everything is unconditional love. The humans that have beaten us, abused us, hurt us, all have served their purposes to teach us to detach from the rubbish of maya, from the negativity to become stronger etc.

Hence your daily life is your Teacher, life is a great teacher. Enjoy it while it lasts, and learn the lessons it brings forth.

The nature, the beauty of the earth has taught us the beauty of the creation, the millions of species of wildlife, nature, different beings, races etc. And the bhagat realises all to be One. We are made from unconditional love.

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Everything is unconditional love. The humans that have beaten us, abused us, hurt us, all have served their purposes to teach us to detach from the rubbish of maya, from the negativity to become stronger etc.

Hence your daily life is your Teacher, life is a great teacher. Enjoy it while it lasts, and learn the lessons it brings forth.

The nature, the beauty of the earth has taught us the beauty of the creation, the millions of species of wildlife, nature, different beings, races etc. And the bhagat realises all to be One. We are made from unconditional love.
Is this the same philosophy of Vedanta too..???

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Learning has ways, beating, being harsh, abusing.
So thats the way to LEARN and for some find the way to teach a lesson.

There is a higher teacher, which gives a higher connect, to bypass all the mechanisms of bad teaching mechanisms by Trainers of PAST,

And a better way is TRAINING, attain a habit, daily, regularly and by understand a discipline of MIND LEARNING, to make a SELF discipline and not imposed by others by way of beating, abusing etc.

GOOD teacher makes a teaching a experience, which evokes LOVE and PASSION, in the subject and one do not loose creativity, or PASSION while you are learning.

SUBJECTS are not boring, way it gets imposed, without giving a realisation, which can be brought into USE, is boring.

Difference between a good master and a bad master, and vis a vis A good student and a bad student.

In many cultures, beating, abusing etc mechanisms are banned.

ONE can find a difference in OLD mechanisms and NEW evolved LEARNED mechanisms of TEACHING and LEARNING.

WAYS are TWO,

EVENT is LEARNING.

Focus on ONE.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

Garry D

SPNer
Oct 19, 2019

From SDGS - ji

Guru Fateh!!

Has SPN been hijacked by brahmanical fanatics ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: