• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhi on Forms of Government

PARTAP

Writer
SPNer
May 15, 2020
San José, California
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I have a questions regarding forms of government used throughout the world. Using Sikhi as a lens to see the world, what would be the ideal form of government? We use the Panj Pyare system in Gurdwaras, but what would be the best way to govern a nation?

In the past, when analyzing the Sikh Empire, we can see that it was a monarchy. Maharaja Ranjit Singh was the King and Maharani Jind Kaur was the Queen. How do you feel about this form of government? In my opinion, the ideal form of government in Sikhi would be a meritocracy, just like the Panj Pyare system.

A meritocracy is a group of leaders chosen based on their knowledge and values, leadership skills, past history, abilities and talents, and individual merit. From a spiritual point of view, these leaders would be merged with the One, and have realized true love in their hearts. They would represent the nation as a whole. These are just my thoughts. I’d love to hear your opinions.

Last edited:

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018

I have a questions regarding forms of government used throughout the world. Using Sikhi as a lens to see the world, what would be the ideal form of government? We use the Panj Pyare system in Gurdwaras, but what would be the best way to govern a nation?

In the past, when analyzing the Sikh Empire, we can see that it was a monarchy. Maharaja Ranjit Singh was the King and Maharani Jind Kaur was the Queen. How do you feel about this form of government? In my opinion, the ideal form of government in Sikhi would be a meritocracy, just like the Panj Pyare system.

A meritocracy is a group of leaders chosen based on their knowledge and values, leadership skills, past history, abilities and talents, and individual merit. From a spiritual point of view, these leaders would be merged with the One, and have realized true love in their hearts. They would represent the nation as a whole. These are just my thoughts. I’d love to hear your opinions.

Something like Five Presidents (with equally divided power) of USA/ any other country ? (Sounds weird but interesting)
or will there any higher authority above these 5?
and what are the chances of these five people of "Intellectual Class of educated and Fully abled people" to choose money above the common man issues ?
or are you saying that these "five people authority" theory to be practiced at all levels of government?
will these "5 intellectuals will be from a Single Party"? if Not, is it possible that they'd work together if they're from different ideologies?

Last edited:

Sikhilove1

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2019

It should be a true King or Queen in a spiritual sense. A good soul with a conscience, who is fearless and practice what they teach. And should obviously have a warrior spirit and be fair. Someone recently reminded me that humans are Equal. No one is higher and no one is lower. The leader would be confident in this mindset and lead with this psychology.

gjsingh

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013
In order to address this question it first has to be established, does Sikhi mandate or have anything to do with a particular form of government? I think it is far from clear that this is this case.

Setting aside that problem, there are many examples of ostensibly devout Sikhs who arguably violate the Guru's command to make an honest living. I recall that a turbaned Sikh headed up Citibank in Asia. Could you eat his household's chapati in clear conscience? How about Manmohan Singh, who is credited as the architect of neoliberal turn in Indian economics. Is he following Guru Nanak's exhortations with regards to social justice? Why or why not?

Food for thought. I don't know the answer, but I suspect any answer must take these kinds of questions into account.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: