• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Wedding Video

Caspian

SPNer
Mar 7, 2008
Yes, everyone knows me as the atheist :p. Nonetheless, I saw the post about the sikh wedding pictures and thought I oughta post a video I've worked on. (Over the summer, I film weddings [mostly sikh ones] they're good money :p).

Looks as the video was removed. spnadmin

Not here to advertise or anything. Jus figured I'd show yall some cool work :p. Also, theres a video you can youtube called "City of Lakes." The couple in that video had a million dollar budget for their wedding video—and it shows. Not from the company I work for, but also an awesome watch. It premiered at sundance film festival and the cinematographers from movies like titanic came to see it (it utilised a new camera that they were curious about). That camera is the same camera we used in the video i linked.

Nov 14, 2010
I gather from the number of white dastars I see there that this was a 3HO couple? :)

In any case, very nicely done. I've found "City of Lakes" and am looking forward to viewing that as well. Thank you so much for sharing your talent!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I gather from the number of white dastars I see there that this was a 3HO couple? :)

In any case, very nicely done. I've found "City of Lakes" and am looking forward to viewing that as well. Thank you so much for sharing your talent!

The bride is a musician/singer who accompanies Sat Kirin Kaur. Sat Kirin Kaur is in turn the mother of Gurmustukh Singh, of Sikhnet. She is an accomplished musician, with a lot of knowledge of classical Indian instruments. She studied raag with Ustad Avtar Singh, another legend of gurbani kirtan. However, she has lately been recording some very avant garde meditational music. Sat Kirin Kaur is one of Yogi Bhajan's original chelas. Yes the wedding is 3HO. And the venue is Guru Ram Das Ashram in Espanola New Mexico.

Nov 14, 2010
I think that might turn me off of 3HO as much as anything else -- all white, all the time. I love color way too much... ;-)

Just finished watching City of Lakes -- wow -- lovely cinematography, and clearly they spent $$ to make their own mini-Bollywood production. Very cool!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Well in line with the subject of weddings, here is a page grab from the flickr photo stream of the wedding of Sri Chand.

More at this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsikhnet/sets/72157620929212060/with/3685406549/

I use his wedding to illustrate how the term "white Sikhs" is a grave misnomer, but one that sticks. Neither the humans nor the bana are strictly "white" on the 3HO scene.

Not that anyone pays attention to that, as color consciousness is a world-wide hang-up.

Attachments

• wedding.jpg
    wedding.jpg
    81.1 KB · Reads: 250
Nov 14, 2010
Can you try posting the link again please, spnadmin ji? :happykudi: I see the picture collage to the left but no link to the pictures themselves.

While I can't see the picture of the entire wedding party up close, from here it sure does look a lot like a sea of white turbans to me... Am I missing something? I know that not all 3HO folks are Anglos, but I've never seen them wear any other color dastar...

Me personally? I would want to distance myself as much as possible, symbolically and otherwise, from anyone who has said and done the things Yogi Bhajan has said and done.
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/sikhism_and_tantric_yoga.pdf

Nov 14, 2010
Hmmm... color consciousness for me has much more to do with the delight I take in wearing bright clothing than it has to do with race (I celebrate diversity!). I guess I just don't see the point in wearing only white dastars, and while there are a few exceptions that's 90% of what I see in these pix. But then I'm still struggling to make sense of the whole kesh/dastar/5K thing in general, so no big surprise there. :veryhappykaur:

In any case, a lovely wedding -- thank you again for sharing it!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Siri Kamala ji

The white dastars has a meaning in 3HO but I cannot remember what it is. It is not about purity. It has something to do with electrons. There is a lecture by Yogi Bhajan on the properties of the color 'white.' Among 3HO yoga teachers there are also some teachings. If I can find that I will post it for you.

Nov 14, 2010
Thank you, but... nah, s'okay. I'm not that curious to know the why of it. I know that there's no really good reason for it in the minds of Sikhs outside of 3HO and that's enough for me. icecreamkudi

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM