• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Sikh War Memorial Uk

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Care to explain what is so much more and demands great attention?
What would be the short-term and long-term repercussions of creating a sikh war memorial?
OK let me take a step back.. Let's walk through the logic step by step together.. Who would this memorial comemerate? Who is in the rememberanceand who is out ?

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Care to explain what is so much more and demands great attention?
What would be the short-term and long-term repercussions of creating a sikh war memorial?
OK let me take a step back.. Let's walk through the logic step by step together.. Who would this memorial comemerate? Who is in the rememberanceand who is out ?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
some might say that memorials are a waste of money and against the ethos of Sikhism which discourages memorials and monuments for those that are dead, but then again, some memorials and monuments are present to remember the person that instigated it, rather than the dead, personally I could not care less either way.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
some might say that memorials are a waste of money and against the ethos of Sikhism which discourages memorials and monuments for those that are dead, but then again, some memorials and monuments are present to remember the person that instigated it, rather than the dead, personally I could not care less either way.
In many ways I couldn't care less about something ss fickle.. But when we allow small things to pasp us by unchallenged slowly but surely the walls aan barriers consume us.. Surely we should first focus on the what we consider 'irrelevant' be 'fundamentalists' about the not so sexy issues..

The idea of a sikh war memorial that spans 2 world wars is frankly ridiculous .. And as Sikhs to promote exclusivity is abhorrent

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
In many ways I couldn't care less about something ss fickle.. But when we allow small things to pasp us by unchallenged slowly but surely the walls aan barriers consume us.. Surely we should first focus on the what we consider 'irrelevant' be 'fundamentalists' about the not so sexy issues..

The idea of a sikh war memorial that spans 2 world wars is frankly ridiculous .. And as Sikhs to promote exclusivity is abhorrent

Sukh Singh ji,
Guru Fateh.
You have given your opinion that you are against the planned Sikh Memorial in the UK in almost every post of yours but you have failed to do is give your reasons for being against it. Please state them in details so we can have this important interaction.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Sukh Singh ji,
Guru Fateh.
You have given your opinion that you are against the planned Sikh Memorial in the UK in almost every post of yours but you have failed to do is give your reasons for being against it. Please state them in details so we can have this important interaction.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh
Err I have provided reasons ..

I think it is fickle. I think that a war memorial to a 'manufactured', falsely homogenised, essentially pluralistic groug of people who fought in two world wars ridiculous.. I have no problem with battalion specific memorials.. But seriously one which tries to just gather up and blanket defines some people as sikh.. Let's just get into the particulars of it..

Who exactly will the memoriam commemorate.. Will it be for amritdhari Sikhs, Sikhs who were in 'sikh battalions' people who have singh in their name?

Not even getting into the idea of guru nanak dev ji saying no Hindu no Muslim and transcending identity politics

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM