• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Religious Leaders Upset

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Indian Sikh religious leaders upset with actress over tattoo of religious text - International Herald Tribune

Indian Sikh religious leaders upset with actress over tattoo of religious text

dot_h.gif

The Associated Press
Published: April 12, 2007
dot_h.gif

AMRITSAR, India: Indian Sikh religious leaders are upset with Bollywood actress and television anchor Mandira Bedi for a tattooing a religious text on her back.

Bedi, who is also a Sikh, had the words "Ek Onkar" or "One God," the first words of the Sikh holy text the Guru Granth Sahib, tattooed in temporary ink on her back and was recently photographed showing the tattoo.

"Mandira Bedi has (made) this tattoo on her back and has posed for photographers in a semi-naked state just to earn money. It is totally against the principles of the Sikh religion," Gurbachan Singh, head priest of the Sikh shrine the Golden Temple, said Thursday.

Other Sikh leaders have called for police to file a case against the actress for offending religious sentiment and asked their followers to boycott her performances until the tattoo is removed.

Bedi, 32, is currently in the West Indies anchoring a cricket-based television show during the World Cup.

----------------------------------------

bawaj

SPNer
Oct 22, 2006
you know what! maybe the sikh religious leaders should examin themselves first. They don't allow women to do kirtan/ or adras at golden temple, there are even ristrictions on women doing seva. So how about we examine all those issues before we jump on some person for having an Ek Onkar tattoo.
Now, that is not to say that what Mandira bedi has done is right. But I say why stop at her. We should criticise all those who wear those big khandas around their necks or wear necklaces with pictures of Gurus on them. People do not wear them for spiritual reasons (because if they did then its not sikhism they are following), they wear them to show off or aesthetics; take your pick.
I say if people really want to show that they are sikhs then how about keeping your kesh, wearing a kada, kirpan, kanga and kacha. If you do that then you really dont need any other means to show that you are a sikh.

my intention is not to offend anyone, but to get a dialogue going. Let me know what you all think?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
RE: Ms. Bedi: cheap, cheap, cheap.

I don't know that this is really such a big deal, but it does seem to lower the dignity of the young lady. If she chooses to cheapen herself, that's up to her, but she should leave the rest of us out of it.

A tattoo? To show you're proud to be a Sikh? On a part of the body usually covered?

I do agree with bawaj ji:

I say if people really want to show that they are sikhs then how about keeping your kesh, wearing a kada, kirpan, kanga and kacha. If you do that then you really dont need any other means to show that you are a sikh.

I promised myself that I'd never become one of those who sit around and bemoan the antics of the younger generation. That I'd remember that I was young and did those stupid things, too. Oh, well...:whisling:

Mai

freedom84

SPNer
Dec 8, 2006
you know what! maybe the sikh religious leaders should examin themselves first. They don't allow women to do kirtan/ or adras at golden temple, there are even ristrictions on women doing seva. So how about we examine all those issues before we jump on some person for having an Ek Onkar tattoo.
Now, that is not to say that what Mandira bedi has done is right. But I say why stop at her. We should criticise all those who wear those big khandas around their necks or wear necklaces with pictures of Gurus on them. People do not wear them for spiritual reasons (because if they did then its not sikhism they are following), they wear them to show off or aesthetics; take your pick.

my intention is not to offend anyone, but to get a dialogue going. Let me know what you all think?

Spot on! I agree with you 100%. Why only pick on this women, how about all these big Bhangra singers and the huge necklaces they wear with a Khanda ....I suppose we have to start somewhere, but they've probably picked on this person because she is a women.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM