• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Kellysingh ji

I'm not going to say what you should do, but I think like Harryji has stated that you know deep inside whats wrong or not.

There is obviously some degree of guilt, which is why you had raised the question in the first place. But, if you were hoping that someone would agree and give you OK-no problem- just carry on. then i'm afraid you are wrong.

I'm not going to argue or have a debate but I think you should ask yourself a few questions.
Had you taken this in any form before your back problem?
Have you tried any other medication? if so why did that route cease??
Have you tried any other alernative treatments, like acupuncture, deep tissue massage, chinese herbal, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy...etc.....etc..??

Chronic back pain and your physician prescribing green bud to smoke!! I find this very hard to believe.. Somewhere along the line there has been some tangential misintepretation or a there are alot more steps missing in the cascade of events.

Without having a full diagnoses and medical history I cannot tell you not to smoke cannabis or wether you should carry on.
I'm aware as I explained in the earlier post that Cannabis is available on prescription subject to strict criteria being fulfilled.
I also mentioned that I'm aware that certain beings will demand it from their prescriber, some will be prescribed say the tablet form But they will use this as a green light to buy the raw street form which will be a lot cheaper than pharmaceutical grade. Alot do use this route if there medical insurance does not cover the costs.

Like I stated previously, I am not asking you to disclose any information as no one except yourself can deal with your own personal medical problem. All we can do is advise.

It seems to me that if you are honest enough to ask yourself and answer the above questions, it should help you come to a conclusion.
I hope it makes you realise that there may be other options instead of looking for a thumbs up in your chosen option.

I'm not going to say that looking at the Nihangs is clarifying justification in your action.
As this is a very unappropriate step to take, they are what they are, being one just because cannabis can be part of your life seems totally wrong.

Chronic back pain can be controlled with a good success rate without cannabis.

Waheguru
Luckysingh

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Lion_Prince_Jatinder ji thanks for your post.

You are missive of the history of Sikhism or the practicalities of the period. Had you visited the Gurdwaras of the time, say Harmandir Sahib, you would have seen Nihangs generally in the area of Manji Sahib or outside the Parkarma doing their stuff including Shardaee. They were revered or accepted in Sikhism as "Khalsa ji ki Fauj" (Army of the Sikhs). Very rarely, if at all, they were engaging themselves in Sikh institutions, the affairs of political/religious/cultural aspects outside of Law and Order. They would cut a foe to pieces in a second. So the question is not whether they were excluded or were they ever interested in such matters during those times. The newly discovered Western Nihangs seem to have lost sense of the mainstream of Nihangs and become tainted by the Sanatan garbage. Perhaps have been bought out or manipulated into such predicament.

These are absolutely my personal observations and not a scholarly piece of work. Your line of post seems to be a reflection of anger, manipulation or mis-guidance and I won't do "bhul chuk maaf" either. If one gives, one has to be able to receive.

We will always be one but direct and straight talk does not hurt either.

Sat Sri Akal.

Well the fact that the nihangs and their bana had previously been outlawed from Punjab, would have added to their lack of participation from those who had returned. Also Khanday dee pahul becoming normal outside the dals and being undertaken under British army adminstrations due to nihangs becoming gupt also didn't help.

Lastly, as the Singh Sabha had forcefully removed the Nihangs from the Akal Takht, and broke the elderly jathedaar's arm in the process, I do not think they would have wanted the nihangs back any time soon just to create this new maryada.

Ambarsarih Ji has given an apt reply. The Nihungs have kept apart....NONE of their Jathas participated in the Gurdwara Sudhar Lehr to ..retake...our Gurdwaras from the Corrupt Mahants...none participated in the Akali Dal or SGPC Morchas.

Interestingly they were the CHOSEN ONES whn Indira Gandhi wnated the Akal Takhat Complex REBUILT in HASTE after destroying it in June 1984.....and the SIKH PANTH had to DEMOLISH that Nihung rebuilt Takhat once more to REBUILD IT with SIKH Kaar Seva instead of Indira Gandhi gifted money and bhaiyah labour whcih the Nihungs ahd no qualms about...

But still the NIHUNGS are part and parcel of SIKH Panth...no two ways about it....except the Western REBORN Nihungs..who are too deep into sanatanism and aquarianism devi pooja etc..and maijuana of course...they are in a class of their own...

There was also a movement just before the Lahore movement, which had more traditional sikhs from Amritsar. The problem with the (Lahore) Gurdwara movement was that they wanted to replace Udasi mahants and Nihang mahants, as nihangs didn't agree with the untraditional Singh Sabha philosophy either. To cleanse sikhi completely of puraatan gyaan and replace it with the purity of which he Singh Sabha believed in. There may have been 10% corrupt mahants or so, but the aim was t replace all the Gurdwara. Unfortunately for the movement, they could not get thier movement into the gurdwaras outside punjab, including the 2 takhts greatly associated with Guru Gobind Singh.

Why would the nihangs help those whose tradition of khalsa they considered as being Malesh, especially when intentions became clear?

ALSO, regarding rebuilding Akal Takht. Akali Baba Santa Singh actually preserved the puraatan paintings on the wall when they rebuilt. But when SGPC or whoever rebuilt Takht, they whitewashed everything. Knowledge gone, probably due to paranoia with tradition!

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Well the fact that the nihangs and their bana had previously been outlawed from Punjab, would have added to their lack of participation from those who had returned. Also Khanday dee pahul becoming normal outside the dals and being undertaken under British army adminstrations due to nihangs becoming gupt also didn't help.

Lastly, as the Singh Sabha had forcefully removed the Nihangs from the Akal Takht, and broke the elderly jathedaar's arm in the process, I do not think they would have wanted the nihangs back any time soon just to create this new maryada.

There was also a movement just before the Lahore movement, which had more traditional sikhs from Amritsar. The problem with the Gurdwara movement was that they wanted to replace Udasi mahants and Nihang mahants, as nihangs didn't agree with the untraditional Singh Sabha philosophy either. To cleanse sikhi completely of puraatan gyaan and replace it with the purity of which he Singh Sabha believed in. There may have been 10% corrupt mahants or so, but the aim was t replace all the Gurdwara. Unfortunately for the movement, they could not get thier movement into the gurdwaras outside punjab, including the 2 takhts greatly associated with Guru Gobind Singh.

Why would the nihangs help those whose tradition of khalsa they considered as being Malesh, especially when intentions became clear?

ALSO, regarding rebuilding Akal Takht. Akali Baba Santa Singh actually preserved the puraatan paintings on the wall when they rebuilt. But when SGPC or whoever rebuilt Takht, they whitewashed everything. Knowledge gone, probably due to paranoia with tradition!
LionprinceUK veer you are definitely better informed. I have not studied this subject but provided my personal observations. I will let more learned and knowledgeable to continue. I suggest you may want to start even a new thread like the "Role of Nihangs in Khalsa: Past, Present and Furture". As I used to love or cherish Nihangs as a part of Khalsa and I believe they are very important part of Sikhism. They were always thought of as pure of heart, non convoluted and straight talkers who will put their money where their mouth was. Great history indeed.

I also like your specific comment about "they whitewashed everything." I also most ashamedly, disgustingly saw it in many places. Darbar Sahib I knew like the back of my hand and the feeling of touching the Marble facades and construction was gone in many places. It hurt me much.

Thank you.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Once again Ambarsariah Ji has taken the words right out of my keyboard !!

I second the seeking of more knowledge via a Thread on the Nihungs....

and I also agree 110% with the "White-washed" comment about Akal takhat...I would be using stronger words like..Completley "DESTROYED" rather than merely "whitewahsing" as this reflects what actually happened..not ONLY in Akal takhat but in HINDREDS of Historical Gurdwaras all over which were completley DESTROYED and rebuilt as Marble replicas under the KAR SEWA BABA rebuilding programme carried out by SGPC for past 30 years via Gurcahran singh tohra presidency.

Prampara or TRADITION seems the catch all phrase so loved by our sarkaree jathedars when used to destroy sikh gurdwaras and institutions like maryada etc...just read How "HIGH" the Akal takhat jathedra is JUMPING on a minor damage to a uncompleted gurdwara building in AMERICA ( by some miscreants who mistake Sikh gurdawra for Muslim building and expressed their anti-islam hate via some graffitti on walls etc and some breaking of building equipment in the under construction Gurdwara)........BUT the Very SAME Jathedar is DEADLY SILENT on the Completley WIPED OUT GURDWARA GYAAN JODDRREE in HARDWAAR 25 years ago by Militant hindus of RSS/BJP. To add insult to INJURY the State BJP GOVT has not only REFUSED to rebuild this Gurdwara..the BJP has built its OFFICE on the SITE !! and want the Sikhs to build their Gurdwara elsewhere ( But interestingly these SAME BJPs want to destroy the babari masjid to build their Raam Temple.....which obvioulsy CANNOT be built elsewhere BUT the Historical Gurdawra in Guru nanank jis Yaad garee visit to Hardwaar "can" be built elsewhere >??? Guru nanak Jis Viist to hardwaar is valid Historically and so RECENT...compard to the Raam Temple myth.... The Jathedar is SILENT becasue BJP is in cahoots with his Master Badal in Punjab....so silence is GOLDEN..while the Americans are far away and safe to attack...

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
LionprinceUK veer you are definitely better informed. I have not studied this subject but provided my personal observations. I will let more learned and knowledgeable to continue. I suggest you may want to start even a new thread like the "Role of Nihangs in Khalsa: Past, Present and Furture". As I used to love or cherish Nihangs as a part of Khalsa and I believe they are very important part of Sikhism. They were always thought of as pure of heart, non convoluted and straight talkers who will put their money where their mouth was. Great history indeed.

I also like your specific comment about "they whitewashed everything." I also most ashamedly, disgustingly saw it in many places. Darbar Sahib I knew like the back of my hand and the feeling of touching the Marble facades and construction was gone in many places. It hurt me much.

Thank you.

Sat Sri Akal.

Hmm, ok, but what if the topic I posts gets moved into the Sanatan forum? I just think this will happen to a nihang topic, perhaps making it marginalised from the rest of the forum?

Once again Ambarsariah Ji has taken the words right out of my keyboard !!

I second the seeking of more knowledge via a Thread on the Nihungs....

and I also agree 110% with the "White-washed" comment about Akal takhat...I would be using stronger words like..Completley "DESTROYED" rather than merely "whitewahsing" as this reflects what actually happened..not ONLY in Akal takhat but in HINDREDS of Historical Gurdwaras all over which were completley DESTROYED and rebuilt as Marble replicas under the KAR SEWA BABA rebuilding programme carried out by SGPC for past 30 years via Gurcahran singh tohra presidency.

Prampara or TRADITION seems the catch all phrase so loved by our sarkaree jathedars when used to destroy sikh gurdwaras and institutions like maryada etc...just read How "HIGH" the Akal takhat jathedra is JUMPING on a minor damage to a uncompleted gurdwara building in AMERICA ( by some miscreants who mistake Sikh gurdawra for Muslim building and expressed their anti-islam hate via some graffitti on walls etc and some breaking of building equipment in the under construction Gurdwara)........BUT the Very SAME Jathedar is DEADLY SILENT on the Completley WIPED OUT GURDWARA GYAAN JODDRREE in HARDWAAR 25 years ago by Militant hindus of RSS/BJP. To add insult to INJURY the State BJP GOVT has not only REFUSED to rebuild this Gurdwara..the BJP has built its OFFICE on the SITE !! and want the Sikhs to build their Gurdwara elsewhere ( But interestingly these SAME BJPs want to destroy the babari masjid to build their Raam Temple.....which obvioulsy CANNOT be built elsewhere BUT the Historical Gurdawra in Guru nanank jis Yaad garee visit to Hardwaar "can" be built elsewhere >??? Guru nanak Jis Viist to hardwaar is valid Historically and so RECENT...compard to the Raam Temple myth.... The Jathedar is SILENT becasue BJP is in cahoots with his Master Badal in Punjab....so silence is GOLDEN..while the Americans are far away and safe to attack...

The problem is, sikhs like SGPC have difficulty accepting the ancient traditions in sikhi shown on these frescos and paintings, and for time had difficulty reading about these traditions in Dasam Granth, and they are even in Guru Granth Sahib, but people are able to make us ignorant by using corrupted translation of gurbani! Whenever these fools see the ancient traditions mentioned, they blame RSS or some hindu group, but its themselves who lack the traditional and cultural thinking to understand!

Secondly, the position of Akal Takht or Akali Bunga (upto 1920 under Akali Nihang dal Khalsa panth control, lastly under Baba Sahib Singh Kaladhari) was not seen the same as the SGPC Akal Takht jathedaar is seen as today; its seen as some Overlord or something now! Back then, it was not quite the same. Also, the British government at the time had influence after the forceful takeover. Just as India government has now!

Fortunately the true Nihang khalsa to this day does not follow SGPC jathedaar; so cannot be influenced so much! Of course SGPC sikhi is does unfortunately influence Nihangs in India and in the west.

Would it be right to ignore SRM just like the Akali Nihang Khalsa fauj Dal panth ignores it?

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Hmm, ok, but what if the topic I posts gets moved into the Sanatan forum? I just think this will happen to a nihang topic, perhaps making it marginalised from the rest of the forum?
Veer lionprinceuk no worries. I will open a respectable thread and we can all work to ensure that it gets the dignity and respect it deserves. For me a Nihang in India, in a remote Gurdwara or a village is more of a Sikh than most members of the SGPC and the leaders of Akali Dal.

Sat Sri Akal.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
May be off-topic: imho, go to any school, and learn. Desire to learn has to be the driver, and Learning becomes an automatic focus. It is upto an individual student to perfect a skill by practicing more and more. Indian Engineers come from various institutes - private colleges, RECs, Deemed universities, IITs etc. Institutes or their syllabus don't make them any lesser or more in their desire to learn and become an Engineer. Fight over syllabus at the very first step of taking admission is futile, I think.

Bhull chukk maaf ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM