• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kellysingh

SPNer
Sep 28, 2011
in sikh reht maryada, which has rules for sikhs, it says one shouldnt smoke,drink, take cannabis ect. i was wondering, as a sikh, i am also a legal cannabis user for medicinal reason prescribed by a doctor. so do i just not worry about the whole cannabis rule? since it is prescribed by a doctor?

Aug 28, 2010
For medicinal purpose nothing can be considered as limitations of not using this.The most important point of consideratio is avoidace of being ADDICTED with loosing ones senses as expected in a normal Human behaviour.It does not mean one should boast of his limits of consumption.Medicinal prescription is always much below the limits of normal consumtion.

Prakash.S.Bagga

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
in sikh reht maryada, which has rules for sikhs, it says one shouldnt smoke,drink, take cannabis ect. i was wondering, as a sikh, i am also a legal cannabis user for medicinal reason prescribed by a doctor. so do i just not worry about the whole cannabis rule? since it is prescribed by a doctor?

as sgpc rehat maryada was never signed off or sanctiified by most of the sikhs that were present when it was announced to be the rehat of the panth, then its upto you to follow it how you see fit.

You could also look at Singhs who follow a more puraatan rehat, where they also use cannabis as shaeedi degh, or drink of the martyrs...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Kellyji

For what condition are you prescribed cannabis? are there any other non mind altering drugs that could be used instead?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
How come no malaysian doctor ever prescribed cannabis/marijuana/etc...to any outpatients....only morphine etc is injected by docs in cancer wards or surgery cases...no open prescriptions under any circumstances...even cough medicine is not openly sold..we must be far behind usa...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
as sgpc rehat maryada was never signed off or sanctiified by most of the sikhs that were present when it was announced to be the rehat of the panth, then its upto you to follow it how you see fit.

You could also look at Singhs who follow a more puraatan rehat, where they also use cannabis as shaeedi degh, or drink of the martyrs...

It would be most interesting to see WHICH MARYADA is Signed OFF and by WHOM ?? Lets begin a LIST here and see which "maryada" has MORE SINGH contributors/discussions/etc....
1. DT Maryada ??
2. AKJ maryada ??
3. Nanaksari Maryada ???
4. nihung Maryada ??/
MORe can be added....Provide complete LIST of contributors. SIGNATORIES etc and period/dates.

BOTTOM LINE is the SRM has the most contributors..the most Gurdwaras worldwide consulted, most sikh colleges, socieites, etc consulted most sikh sangats worldwide requested to send in suggestions etc...and MORE signatories....the ONLY 2 who walked OUT were DT Taksal head and AKJ Head..and they BOTH left due to JHATKA ISSUE. Also BOTH DISAGREED almost "violently" on RAAGMALA - DT violently in FAVOUR and AKJ so violently OPPOSED..they walk out of Diwans when raagmala is read !! THEY are the reason for the AMBIGUITY left in SRM on raagmala issue....NONE ELSE LEFT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kellysingh

SPNer
Sep 28, 2011
i been reading Sikh Spiritual Practice: the sound way to God by Siri Kirpal Kaur Khalsa, it says same rules as SRM but that things like cannabis is allowed if prescribed by a doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
i been reading sikh spiritual practice: the sound way to god by Siri kirpal kaur khalsa, it says same rules as srm but that things like cannabis is allowed if prescribed by a doctor.
Kellysingh ji you should also, if not already, recognize that Sikhism is not a persecutorial religion.

You are the best judge of your living while frameworks exist. As you have done, if one is in doubt one consults with Sangat/friends/congregation. Then you decide and live. As a matter of fact in SRM the onus is on the Sikh who feels that they need to bring any indiscretions to public domain or Sangat/congregation. Only in rare cases of well being of the community at stake due to blatant actions of a Sikh that the congregation may raise issues by itself.

So be at peace and enjoy life as a Sikh. mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

Kellysingh

SPNer
Sep 28, 2011
ok. im still very new sikh. but i enjoy reading about the gurus and slowy reading sggs. i been taken things slow, which is why i figure id ask for opinion on here. ty all for opinions. :happysingh:

lionprinceuk

SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
It would be most interesting to see WHICH MARYADA is Signed OFF and by WHOM ?? Lets begin a LIST here and see which "maryada" has MORE SINGH contributors/discussions/etc....
1. DT Maryada ??
2. AKJ maryada ??
3. Nanaksari Maryada ???
4. nihung Maryada ??/
MORe can be added....Provide complete LIST of contributors. SIGNATORIES etc and period/dates.

BOTTOM LINE is the SRM has the most contributors..the most Gurdwaras worldwide consulted, most sikh colleges, socieites, etc consulted most sikh sangats worldwide requested to send in suggestions etc...and MORE signatories....the ONLY 2 who walked OUT were DT Taksal head and AKJ Head..and they BOTH left due to JHATKA ISSUE. Also BOTH DISAGREED almost "violently" on RAAGMALA - DT violently in FAVOUR and AKJ so violently OPPOSED..they walk out of Diwans when raagmala is read !! THEY are the reason for the AMBIGUITY left in SRM on raagmala issue....NONE ELSE LEFT.

how many representatives were there from the budha dal and the dal panth during maryada creation?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
how many representatives were there from the budha dal and the dal panth during maryada creation?
Lion_Prince_Jatinder ji the complete list is in the following post as you probably have already read. It does not appear the groups you mention were party to the proceedings unless some of the named people were from the Dals you mention. It was a public forum and not a secret association from what I can tell.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-rehat-maryada/37986-my-sikh-rehat-meryada.html#post160098

Do you see major areas of concern or improvements versus Dal thinking or their principles? I ask because I am only familiar with SRM per SGPC from my childhood.

Sat Sri Akal.

Aug 28, 2010
Larger the numbers of persons in any commetee make most of the decsions which are of no use.
Large Numbers are deliberately kept to derail any decision not favouring the interst of persons playing political role .

This rule is common in every type of socity or organisation beit GOVt,SEMI GOVT or Private.
This rule is very commonly refered as 'Management by Crisis".Here intention is not to create a solution but always see how a new crisis is maintainted .

Prakash.s.Bagga

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Larger the numbers of persons in any commetee make most of the decsions which are of no use.
Large Numbers are deliberately kept to derail any decision not favouring the interst of persons playing political role .

This rule is common in every type of socity or organisation beit GOVt,SEMI GOVT or Private.
This rule is very commonly refered as 'Management by Crisis".Here intention is not to create a solution but always see how a new crisis is maintainted .

Prakash.s.Bagga

Is THAT why people like Badal would rather deal with "dera heads" like the ones at Beas, Sirsa, Noormehal, Mehta Chowk etc ?? Its EASY to BUY one person than depend on "persuading" millions.....

Guru Gobind Singh ji assembled so many at Anandpur sahib in 1699..and chose FIVE....the Khalsa has always held SARBATT KHALSAS to make major decisions...is all that "Management of Crisis" ?

The DT Maryada is written by just one man..their Jathedar and every DT faithfully follows becasue their Mahapurahs SAID SO. IF the Mahapursh says the SGGS has 1500 MISTAKES..then the GURU has 1500 galtian and is incomplete and error ridden ...ONE MAN DECIDES ??

Actually thanks to badal's "Crisis Managment " tactics over the past decades..the SGPC is also now a DERA type of RUBBER STAMP...when badal says jump..the SGPC asks ..HOW HIGH ?? Thats why the Nanaksahi calendar, DG issue, VIOLATIONS of its own maryada are RAMPANT in SGPC and no one bats an eye...its ONE MAN MAKING ALL DECISIONS.

The Bhagwar Brigade LOVES THIS situation..now when the RSS goondas wnat to demonstarte inside the Darbar sahib..they get the silent NOD from badal..and the entire SGPC taskforce etc sleeps...or when the RSS goondas wnat to wave the Indian Tricolour INSIDE the Keshgarh Takaht..they ask badal..and its OK !! When the "hidden hands" wnat the nanaksahi calendar killed overnight..the one man to ask is Badal...and Akal takhat asks how high to jump"...:angryyoungsingh:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Kellysingh ji

Getting back to the original 1st post

I understand you use the cannabis for a medicinal reason. However, it is important to estabilish what sort of medical condition- not being nosy!!

I say this because I'm aware that it is available in many preparations ie forms, such as tablets, sublingual spray, drops ....etc.......It would be prescribed in such a form in nearly all cases unless you are in a preliminary(trial) program that is usually specific to a certain geographical state.

What I'm trying to clarify is that if the spray is prescribed for MS lets say, then indeed it is fine using this as directed, as it is only licensed for specific uses and conditions like this.

But, If you take the prescription as a green light to get the raw form and be smoking it lets say!! then this issue will be a different matter, and I'm aware that this does happen in the world out there.

I'm not requesting you disclose any information by any means whatsoever, but I felt it important to make the others aware what goes on in the medical world. Bearing that in mind, like I said certain states can be running 'trial' programs whereby reefers for eg. could be given for patients to smoke for a medical treatment or even a rehabilitation program for a specific length of time.

As long as your'e condition is stable using the primary presribed form and not using your own different method, then there does not seem to be any valid reason to condemn that unless it is a rehab course, which then, we would have to rediscuss with a different perspective and agenda.

I'm sorry if i've caused any offence, but the rest that are reading this need to understand to a small degree what goes on in these situations.

Gurfateh
Luckysingh

Kellysingh

SPNer
Sep 28, 2011
i use if for back chronic back pain. and it in green bud form that i smoke. as i said, it is prescribed. but it does help me live my life better. i can now play with my child and all. so it make me happy.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The wonderful thing about Sikhi is that you will know in your own heart definitively whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, the fact you have posted seems to be an indication your not sure, what your describing to me is getting stoned, rather than pain management.

By consuming in its raw form, rather than tablet form with all the interesting bits removed, you are affecting your mental state quite considerably

lionprinceuk

SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Lion_Prince_Jatinder ji the complete list is in the following post as you probably have already read. It does not appear the groups you mention were party to the proceedings unless some of the named people were from the Dals you mention. It was a public forum and not a secret association from what I can tell.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-rehat-maryada/37986-my-sikh-rehat-meryada.html#post160098

Do you see major areas of concern or improvements versus Dal thinking or their principles? I ask because I am only familiar with SRM per SGPC from my childhood.

Sat Sri Akal.

That means the SRM was created without any representation from the Nihang Khalsa fauj, and just Singhs from jathebandis and etc.

What is a rehat if the dal panth is not involved, what is a rehit without the khalsa??? Sorry, but I see it as disrespectful to make a rehit excluding the Khalsa. Or is the reason they made the rehat to oppose the rehat of the Khalsa nihangs, to feel equal to them or to exclude them from their Singh Sabha organisation?

Seriously, what a joke.... And I am not gonna ask for bull chuk maaf for saying that!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
That means the SRM was created without any representation from the Nihang Khalsa fauj, and just Singhs from jathebandis and etc.

What is a rehat if the dal panth is not involved, what is a rehit without the khalsa??? Sorry, but I see it as disrespectful to make a rehit excluding the Khalsa. Or is the reason they made the rehat to oppose the rehat of the Khalsa nihangs, to feel equal to them or to exclude them from their Singh Sabha organisation?

Seriously, what a joke.... And I am not gonna ask for bull chuk maaf for saying that!
Lion_Prince_Jatinder ji thanks for your post.

You are missive of the history of Sikhism or the practicalities of the period. Had you visited the Gurdwaras of the time, say Harmandir Sahib, you would have seen Nihangs generally in the area of Manji Sahib or outside the Parkarma doing their stuff including Shardaee. They were revered or accepted in Sikhism as "Khalsa ji ki Fauj" (Army of the Sikhs). Very rarely, if at all, they were engaging themselves in Sikh institutions, the affairs of political/religious/cultural aspects outside of Law and Order. They would cut a foe to pieces in a second. So the question is not whether they were excluded or were they ever interested in such matters during those times. The newly discovered Western Nihangs seem to have lost sense of the mainstream of Nihangs and become tainted by the Sanatan garbage. Perhaps have been bought out or manipulated into such predicament.

These are absolutely my personal observations and not a scholarly piece of work. Your line of post seems to be a reflection of anger, manipulation or mis-guidance and I won't do "bhul chuk maaf" either. If one gives, one has to be able to receive.

We will always be one but direct and straight talk does not hurt either.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Ambarsarih Ji has given an apt reply. The Nihungs have kept apart....NONE of their Jathas participated in the Gurdwara Sudhar Lehr to ..retake...our Gurdwaras from the Corrupt Mahants...none participated in the Akali Dal or SGPC Morchas.

Interestingly they were the CHOSEN ONES whn Indira Gandhi wnated the Akal Takhat Complex REBUILT in HASTE after destroying it in June 1984.....and the SIKH PANTH had to DEMOLISH that Nihung rebuilt Takhat once more to REBUILD IT with SIKH Kaar Seva instead of Indira Gandhi gifted money and bhaiyah labour whcih the Nihungs ahd no qualms about...

But still the NIHUNGS are part and parcel of SIKH Panth...no two ways about it....except the Western REBORN Nihungs..who are too deep into sanatanism and aquarianism devi pooja etc..and maijuana of course...they are in a class of their own...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM