• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Rehat Maryada: The Why & The Wherefore

JourneyOflife

Writer
SPNer
Apr 8, 2015
well, its called humour, it comes in useful!

ok calm down, I am making a very simple point that you seem to have pounced on and now seem determined to squeeze every last drop of heresy out of. I will make my simple point again, but for the last time, the very existence of the SRM means that to be a Sikh, to know what it means to be a Sikh, to know how a Sikh should behave can be gleaned without study of the SGGS, so even if the SRM was the most wonderful document in the world, it would still have the effect of being a shortcut, and it will always be an interpretation. People as what does the SRM say about this, or that, when they could just study the SGGS and come to their own conclusion. No one is saying the SRM is nasty or evil. Do you understand this?

The problem isn't that you hold an opinion different from mine, the problem is that your opinion is rooted in absolutely no academic history and you think it is equal to opinions which are actually based on real research.

Not only that, you resort to grossly incorrect generalizations to make these absurd points. Statements like "The SRM is a shortcut" and "to be a Sikh, to know what it means to be a Sikh, to know how a Sikh should behave can be gleaned without study of the SGGS" actually require some evidence to back them up. You're going to need to actually demonstrate how Sikhs who follow the SRM (so Guru Gobind Singh ji's Khalsa) spend less time reading and pondering over the SGGS ji than Sikhs (generally non-Khalsa) who do not read the SRM. From personal experience, I don't know a whole lot of non-Khalsa Sikhs who read the SGGS on a regular basis, but I know plenty of Amritdharis who do...

How about you harry ji? You are Sikh yet do not wish to associate with the SRM. How often do you actually read the SGGS? Well I took the liberty of using the search engine and found this:

I decided to only read what I could live by and then move on, I have managed the superhuman feat of not getting past line two.

2 lines? And here I was being told that people who follow the SRM are taking a shortcut and wouldn't be as motivated to read the SGGS as other Sikhs. But you've only read 2 lines? Considering the entire SGGS is 1429 pages long and each page contains dozens of lines, that doesn't really seem like a lot, wouldn't you agree?

Come on man, stop these generalizations. I know from personal experience that plenty of Khalsa Sikhs take the time to go through the SGGS- how could they not, when the Rehat itself instructs that they do? At the same time, I know plenty of non-Khalsa Sikhs who only go to Gurdwara 1-2 times a month and think that is enough for them to be Sikhs, even if they've never read a single page in the SGGS. I'd go as far as saying that based on what I've observed in my own life, it is the Khalsa Sikhs who tend to be more disciplined about reading the SGGS than the non-Khalsa Sikhs. The SRM itself says you have to read the SGGS, so I'm not sure where you're pulling these gross generalizations from. Overall, I'd say that people who are motivated to learn in-depth about Sikhi will do so whether they follow the SRM/have taken Amrit or not, and the people who aren't motivated to learn in-depth about Sikhi will not do so, whether they follow the SRM/have taken Amrit or not.

Don't you think it would be a better idea to get past the 2nd line than to accuse others of following shortcuts? That claim itself is rich, considering the SRM clearly prescribes a baseline reading of the SGGS ji every single day...

Now regarding the history aspect, let us take something pretty given, that Mata Sahib Kaur added patashas to the Amrit in order to make Sikhs sweet natured, and became the mother of the Khalsa. What would have happened if she had not been there? Would we all be savages? Are you suggesting that the tenth master did not anticipate this? Are we saying that as enlightened as the Tenth Master was, he left something as important as this to chance? and that is why I have little faith in the recordings of Sikh history, there are just too many damn agendas. I have little choice but to run with what I can see, and what the litmus test of Sikhism validates, so in one fell sweep, multiple marriages, miracles, magic, boulders with handprints in, all fail miserably.

This is what happens when you don't spend any time consulting actual academic work. Do you really think Mata Sahib Kaur adding patashas to the Amrit to 'save the Khalsa from turning into savages', the "multiple marriages, miracles, magic, boulders with hand prints" are what I'm talking about when I tell you to study the history? To the best of my knowledge, literally everything you've listed finds no mention anywhere outside the Sakhis. And the Sakhis ARE NOT what I mean when I'm talking about 'Sikh History'. The Sakhis are a very small blip on the huge spectrum that encompasses Sikh history. Come on dude, you haven't argued against actual Sikh history in any sense- all you've done is show your discomfort at accepting the hagiographies which have found their way into Sikh oral tradition over time, and I don't blame you for it. Even then, I must point out that not ALL Sakhis are the same, there are actually plenty which contain valuable historical information and offer a window into the events which occurred during the time of the Gurus.

I also agree that as far as Sikh Philosophy is concerned, there is no point looking outside the SGGS since it contains everything we'd ever need to know about the SPIRITUAL (not political) message of the Gurus. I just want to clarify I don't rely on the Sakhis or other sources of Sikh history to actually inform my opinion about the spiritual message of the Gurus, the only thing I rely on for that is the SGGS.

But you seem to have this idea that Sikh history is limited to the Sakhis when in reality, reputable scholars on Sikh history tend to use them as supporting material, not the primary source of evidence for the argument they are putting forward. You need to get over this misconception that the hagiographic/magical stories found in oral traditions/sakhis are what I mean when I say "Sikh history", because you aren't even close.

ok, you are struggling with this, thats ok, allow me to explain once again

Article IV - Meditating on Naam (Divine Substance) and Scriptures
a. A Sikh should wake up in the ambrosial hours (three hours before the dawn), take bath and,
concentrate his/her thoughts on One Immortal being, repeat the name of ‘Waheguru’ (Wondrous
Destroyer of darkness).

Firstly, Amrit Vela is taken as 3 hours before dawn, so there is a window of time for Amrit Vela? other times are not Amrit Vela? this is not ritualistic?

Next your going to tell me there is actually some point in repeating
the same word again and again? this is not ritualistic?
Do you want any more examples, thats just the first page...

Okay, let me put this in simpler words since my last post seems to have completely flown over your head: yes, it is a 'ritual'. No, not every 'ritual' is bad, nor does Sikhi reject them outright. You're making the basic mistake of selective bias- you search for snippets of the SGGS which, on the surface, appear to support your "Rituals are evil" stance and when you find those snippets, you think Sikhi actually supports your position.

You're focusing on a single tree while ignoring the rest of the forest. Sikhi is not one-dimensional. There are multiple dynamics at play and until you learn to recognize this, you're going to keep falling into the same trap over and over again.

Contrary to what you may think, there ARE rituals in Sikhi. Do all Sikhs NEED to follow them? No, not at all. The rituals outlined in the SRM are only applicable to the Khalsa, and they do not apply to you. Please actually take the time to read up a bit on identity politics within the Panth. Despite what "your personal opinion" may be, these same rituals you look down on are the reason Sikhi is here today. The Khalsa has the power to create its own ritualism, not because I said so, but because Guru Gobind Singh ji gave them that power. The creation of the Khalsa was for those Sikhs who were ready to completely break free from their previous faith traditions and adopt the Sikh spiritual path to the fullest. The whole point of the SRM is to nurture that separate identity from the rest of the world. Without that separate identity, Sikhi today would be dead either because of absorption wholesale into Hinduism, or because of the proselytizing of Christianity by the British.

By your logic, everything is a ritual. I brush my teeth every day at roughly the same times. I guess I must be a bad Sikh since I'm engaging in ritualism. I wash my hands before I eat anything. Oops, more ritualism, I guess I'm not following Sikhi properly :(

By the way, I'm not sure what your issue with getting up in the early hours of the morning is when this practice even finds mention in the SGGS. http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=305&L=16 But who knows, maybe Guru Ram Das ji was engaging in empty ritualism as well?

Not all 'ritualism' is the same. The ritualism the Gurus spoke out against in the SGGS ji isn't the same as the ritualism found in places like the SRM ( although I'll be first to admit the current SRM is far from perfect). Going by your logic, even the 5 K's themselves are rituals.

The ritualism of the Khalsa isn't to make them 'better' or 'more holy' than everybody else. It is to preserve the overall distinctiveness of Sikhi by institutionalizing certain practices (with the consent of the Panth) which differentiate the Khalsa from the rest of the world and nurture that unique identity.

And no, this isn't my opinion. This is from Guru Gobind Singh ji. He was the one who created the Khalsa. He was the one who gave them the power to create Rehatnamas and implement practices/'rituals' which would preserve the distinctiveness of Sikhi. Are you going to argue with him as well?

Just to clarify one more time, the SRM DOES NOT apply to you (or me) since we haven't taken Amrit. And that's perfectly fine, it doesn't make you any less of a Sikh. Guru Gobind Singh ji acknowledged that not EVERY Sikh would want to take Amrit, and he was fine with it. I just don't see the point of complaining about the SRM when it was that distinctiveness which preserved Sikhi into the modern day in the first place...

it did not stop the huge numbers of Deras in Punjab, do you know how many different types of Sikh there are at present?

Yes, that's what happens when we ignore our Guru's Hukam for the Khalsa to organize itself under a common banner. These deras are operating despite the SRM, not because of it. As bad as you think the situation is now, it would've been 100x worse if the SRM drafted by the Singh Sabhas was not there to provide powerful political ammunition against the destructive practices of these deras. In case you didn't notice, the most powerful opponents of these deras are the Takhsalis, and the Takhsalis are probably the strictest followers of the SRM around.

The SRM is the reason they are more fringe groups than a part of mainstream Sikhi. Without the SRM, nothing would've stopped them from going out and extending their influence over the whole of Punjab. Funny thing is, that's EXACTLY what was going on before the Singh Sabha movement rolled around, the SRM is responsible for pushing these deras to the fringes of the Panth instead of the mainstream, which is where they used to be.

Instead of bashing the SRM 24/7, maybe take the time to read up on the immsenely positive net effect it has had on Sikhi. Or was it a bad thing that the Rehat pushed the poor deras to the fringes instead of leaving them in the mainstream?

What you don't seem to realize is that the deras are the PERFECT example of what happens when you run around telling people to just do whatever the hell they want. Regular Sikhs? Sure, we're free to practice Sikhi as we see fit, once again the SRM does not actually apply to us. But the Khalsa? They are actually supposed to be united under a common Rehat, otherwise you get cases like the deras who completely step over the precedence set by our Guru. Occasionally, compromises have to be made which is why I don't think the current SRM is necessarily perfect, there were just too many conflicting opinions in the room while it was being drafted to make it perfect. It is largely the product of great compromise (which is necessary in a democratic system like the Khalsa), but most people did come to accept it, and it united the Khalsa Panth in a way which hadn't been seen in a long time and saved Sikhi from complete annihilation.

Let's be open minded, but not to the point where our brains start spilling out. The SRM exists for a reason. Guru Gobind Singh ji wasn't an idiot. He gave the Khalsa the power to draft/revise/destroy Rehats and implement rituals/practices which solidify the distinctiveness of Sikhi for a reason. It may be worthwhile to read up on these than to simply go around making unsubstantiated claims about how the vast majority of Sikh history is distorted beyond belief...

actually I am indifferent to it, I certainly would not lean on it to further my knowledge of Sikhism, and that is basically the point I was trying to make. However if Sikhism to you is waking up in the middle of the night and repeating the same word over and over, knock yourself out!

I am not saying you are correct, its just not for me. Sikhism to me is incredibly simple, no rituals, no repetition of words, no specified times of holiness, just a holy manuscript of pearls of wisdom. To be a good Sikh is not to follow blindly the words of others, to bask in history that has been distorted, to follow rehats that if they do not apply to us means we can sigh with relief, no, Sikhism is between me and the Creator and the guide to this relationship is the SGGS. Its that simple.

I am sorry that you find it so strange that a way of life that rejects ritual, should publish a document that specifies which rituals are appropriate to given events......

Please see the above. It's kinda funny you are upset about the SRM supposedly trampling on your right to practice Sikhi as you see fit (when in reality, it doesn't even apply to you) while at the same time throwing unreserved mockery at how others wish to practice their Sikhi.

Please take the time to read up on actual Sikh history, the circumstances surrounding the drafting of the Singh Sabha SRM, the power politics in Sikhi, the differences between 'regular Sikhs' and 'Baptized Sikhs' and why oh why Guru Gobind Singh ji may have chosen to transfer all his political power (including the right to draft Rehats/create rituals and practices) to the Khalsa Panth entity. Oh, and get past the 2nd line in SGGS ji. It would probably be more fruitful than senselessly complaining about the SRM...

ONCE MORE, the SRM DOES NOT apply to you, and you are free to practice Sikhi however you wish, and nurture your relationship with the Creator through the timeless wisdom of the SGGS ji in any way you like. I actually agree with A LOT of what you say and I think our views on things like 'what is God', the afterlife and miracles are largely the same.

But that doesn't reduce the importance of the SRM in the least bit or take away from the significance of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji bestowing complete political power on the Khalsa Panth. The more Sikhs become ignorant of their own history, the easier it will be for outside groups to come in and distort the past to suit whichever narrative they're trying to push. The "Sikhs are Hindus" crowd wouldn't even be significant if it weren't for the fact that so many Sikhs just do not take the time to learn about their own history, which just makes them easy prey to propaganda.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The problem isn't that you hold an opinion different from mine, the problem is that your opinion is rooted in absolutely no academic history and you think it is equal to opinions which are actually based on real research.

Well, it is my opinion, and I am pretty sure I can have an opinion rooted in whatever I want, or is that something else you wish to enforce?

Not only that, you resort to grossly incorrect generalizations to make these absurd points. Statements like "The SRM is a shortcut" and "to be a Sikh, to know what it means to be a Sikh, to know how a Sikh should behave can be gleaned without study of the SGGS" actually require some evidence to back them up.

I have already gone through this, several times now, if you do not understand, or cannot understand, I am sorry.

You're going to need to actually demonstrate how Sikhs who follow the SRM (so Guru Gobind Singh ji's Khalsa) spend less time reading and pondering over the SGGS ji than Sikhs (generally non-Khalsa) who do not read the SRM. From personal experience, I don't know a whole lot of non-Khalsa Sikhs who read the SGGS on a regular basis, but I know plenty of Amritdharis who do...

I do not need to demonstrate anything, I have my opinion, I have backed up by opinion with whatever proofs I feel have influenced me, and that is enough, if you are unable to grasp this, then you are unable to grasp it.

How about you harry ji? You are Sikh yet do not wish to associate with the SRM. How often do you actually read the SGGS? Well I took the liberty of using the search engine and found this:

Entertainment in your house that bad eh you have to occupy your time looking for my soundbites! There are many quotes and translations on this forum I have participated in, the comment you have pounced on is actually sarcasm, the following post explains it, but I guess quoting that would not have done your agenda any good.

2 lines? And here I was being told that people who follow the SRM are taking a shortcut and wouldn't be as motivated to read the SGGS as other Sikhs. But you've only read 2 lines? Considering the entire SGGS is 1429 pages long and each page contains dozens of lines, that doesn't really seem like a lot, wouldn't you agree?

no, not really, the line in question is in regard to the truth, the second line I am referring to is satnam, the facet that we should all embrace, to live by the truth, is there any point reading the SRM if you struggle with this concept, maybe for you there is, and good luck to you, but for me there is not, and nothing you say will change that. Do you have trouble reading between the lines?

Come on man, stop these generalizations. I know from personal experience that plenty of Khalsa Sikhs take the time to go through the SGGS- how could they not, when the Rehat itself instructs that they do?

I see, they do it because of a Rehat? I do it out of a desire to better myself, your right I am struggling with your form of Sikhism.

Don't you think it would be a better idea to get past the 2nd line than to accuse others of following shortcuts? That claim itself is rich, considering the SRM clearly prescribes a baseline reading of the SGGS ji every single day...

It would be absurd to assume that I have only read two lines, but for the purposes of your argument, lets say that is all I have had to read, I would still say that concentrating on living by the truth is going to bring you closer to Sikhism than reading the SRM.....

This is what happens when you don't spend any time consulting actual academic work. Do you really think Mata Sahib Kaur adding patashas to the Amrit to 'save the Khalsa from turning into savages', the "multiple marriages, miracles, magic, boulders with hand prints" are what I'm talking about when I tell you to study the history? To the best of my knowledge, literally everything you've listed finds no mention anywhere outside the Sakhis. And the Sakhis ARE NOT what I mean when I'm talking about 'Sikh History'. The Sakhis are a very small blip on the huge spectrum that encompasses Sikh history. Come on dude, you haven't argued against actual Sikh history in any sense- all you've done is show your discomfort at accepting the hagiographies which have found their way into Sikh oral tradition over time, and I don't blame you for it. Even then, I must point out that not ALL Sakhis are the same, there are actually plenty which contain valuable historical information and offer a window into the events which occurred during the time of the Gurus.

Unfortunately your talking utter rubbish, which I will demonstrate to you very easily, google Sikh history, and then read it, even on established Sikh sites, and what do you see, multiple marriages, miracles, people being brought back to life, etc etc etc. Those Sakhis have influenced Sikh history hugely, right down to the first Amar Chitra Katha I read when I was 6. They may not be what you are talking about, but they sure are what everyone else is talking about.

But you seem to have this idea that Sikh history is limited to the Sakhis when in reality, reputable scholars on Sikh history tend to use them as supporting material, not the primary source of evidence for the argument they are putting forward. You need to get over this misconception that the hagiographic/magical stories found in oral traditions/sakhis are what I mean when I say "Sikh history", because you aren't even close.

again, the proof is in the pudding, what you feel or have opinions about is not how the rest of the word sees it, again, one only has to browse the internet to see how Sikh history is presented.
Okay, let me put this in simpler words since my last post seems to have completely flown over your head: yes, it is a 'ritual'. No, not every 'ritual' is bad, nor does Sikhi reject them outright.

hey look, another definitive statement!

You're making the basic mistake of selective bias- you search for snippets of the SGGS which, on the surface, appear to support your "Rituals are evil" stance and when you find those snippets, you think Sikhi actually supports your position.

Now this is where you really need to understand where I am coming from, I am not an academic like yourself, I am not a social Sikh, I do not socially know any other Sikhs, I do not mix with Sikhs, (actually I do not mix with anyone), so I do not really need Sikhi to support my position, and nor do I wish to push my opinion as Sikh fact. I have come to my own conclusions through living, through alcoholism, drug use, casual sex, prison, bankruptcy, 5 heart attacks, etc etc etc etc. What I have learned, I see similar in Sikhism, and that makes me happy, and I write about it. If your telling me that I am not a Sikh, thats fine, you will have to join the queue, but I do not believe in rituals, and as far as I know Sikhism does not believe in rituals so that is where I am.

You're focusing on a single tree while ignoring the rest of the forest.

I do believe that is my right

Sikhi is not one-dimensional. There are multiple dynamics at play and until you learn to recognize this, you're going to keep falling into the same trap over and over again.

I also believe that is my right too, I fail to see your point, are you trying to save me?

Contrary to what you may think, there ARE rituals in Sikhi. Do all Sikhs NEED to follow them? No, not at all. The rituals outlined in the SRM are only applicable to the Khalsa, and they do not apply to you

I see, so the SGGS does apply to me, but the SRM does not apply to me, or even to you, why are we arguing about it then? Replying to your posts is really starting to cut into my day and my chocolate consumption.

Please actually take the time to read up a bit on identity politics within the Panth.

Err , I'll pass on that one if its all the same to you

By your logic, everything is a ritual. I brush my teeth every day at roughly the same times. I guess I must be a bad Sikh since I'm engaging in ritualism. I wash my hands before I eat anything. Oops, more ritualism, I guess I'm not following Sikhi properly :(

that my friend is up to you, that is your interpretation and you are entitled to it

By the way, I'm not sure what your issue with getting up in the early hours of the morning is when this practice even finds mention in the SGGS. http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=305&L=16 But who knows, maybe Guru Ram Das ji was engaging in empty ritualism as well?

maybe it is badly translated, who knows
Not all 'ritualism' is the same. The ritualism the Gurus spoke out against in the SGGS ji isn't the same as the ritualism found in places like the SRM ( although I'll be first to admit the current SRM is far from perfect). Going by your logic, even the 5 K's themselves are rituals.

Well they are not, but many Sikhs do have a ritualistic attitude to the 5 K's
The ritualism of the Khalsa isn't to make them 'better' or 'more holy' than everybody else. It is to preserve the overall distinctiveness of Sikhi by institutionalizing certain practices (with the consent of the Panth) which differentiate the Khalsa from the rest of the world and nurture that unique identity.

I see, a bit like the thread the Hindus have!

Look, I am not bashing the SRM, there is much of what you write that is good, if you wish me to concede the SRM has its role, fine I am happy concede that, I see little or no point in defending my own opinion when I also consider myself a madman, if you were a madman, we could talk, but your not, so this really is a pointless discussion.

Failing that, what exactly is your agenda?

JourneyOflife

Writer
SPNer
Apr 8, 2015
Well, it is my opinion, and I am pretty sure I can have an opinion rooted in whatever I want, or is that something else you wish to enforce?

Yes, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, no matter what it is rooted in.

I have already gone through this, several times now, if you do not understand, or cannot understand, I am sorry.

All you've really said is that you feel it's a "shortcut" and so offers individuals a way to be 'Sikh' without ever actually reading and studying the SGGS for themselves. I know from personal experience this is incorrect. Amritdharis are actually required to read a certain base level of the SGGS every day. That is the commitment they make upon taking Baptism. On the other hand, plenty of non-Khalsa only identify with Sikhi because they were born into it and go to the Gurdwara every once in a while. Like I said, I feel if an individual is dedicated to Sikhi, they'll take the time to learn about it regardless of whether they've taken Amrit/follow the SRM or not, and if they AREN'T interested in Sikhi, then they will refuse to learn about it regardless of whether they've taken Amrit/follow the SRM or not. A person's dedication to learning about Sikhi is, in my opinion, a personal decision, and following the SRM or not isn't going to change that. I've refuted every point you've made, so unless there is some actual data to back up the claim that people who adhere to the SRM are less inclined to learn about Sikhi, it isn't going to fly.

I do not need to demonstrate anything, I have my opinion, I have backed up by opinion with whatever proofs I feel have influenced me, and that is enough, if you are unable to grasp this, then you are unable to grasp it.

If your experiences have been different from mine then that's fine, maybe the things you've seen are different from what I have, and I respect that. My only issue is with making general sweeping implications about how the SRM somehow discourages people all across the board from studying the SGGS to the same level as those who do not follow it.

Entertainment in your house that bad eh you have to occupy your time looking for my soundbites! There are many quotes and translations on this forum I have participated in, the comment you have pounced on is actually sarcasm, the following post explains it, but I guess quoting that would not have done your agenda any good.

There's nothing in the next post about having read past the first 2 lines, only that it is something you "would like to do, over time". That doesn't disprove anything.

In all seriousness though, relax mate. I was just taking your advice from before and injecting some humor into my posts. Of course I know you've read more than 2 lines, like you said, "it comes in useful!"
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

no, not really, the line in question is in regard to the truth, the second line I am referring to is satnam, the facet that we should all embrace, to live by the truth, is there any point reading the SRM if you struggle with this concept, maybe for you there is, and good luck to you, but for me there is not, and nothing you say will change that. Do you have trouble reading between the lines?

'SatNam' is actually a part of the first line of SGGS ji, so it looks like you haven't even made it to the second line yet. Don't take that seriously lol
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Is there any point in reading the SRM if you struggle to live by the truth? That's a really good question, and I'm glad you brought it up. In my opinion, none of us are perfect. I think the Gurus were some of the only individuals in history who lived by the truth perfectly. The rest of us are bound to make mistakes, that is the reality of human nature, we have our faults and are prone to making the wrong decisions.

Given this reality, I cannot imagine the logic behind waiting until you are able to perfectly "live by the truth" before reading the SRM/taking Amrit. So which criteria should we use in order to decide whether we are ready or not? Let's go back to the first Vaisakhi in 1699. Guru Gobind Singh ji stands before an enormous crowd of Sikhs. He pulls out his sword and yells out, asking who among the crowd is ready to give their head for the Guru. Silence. People don't understand what's happening, and what the Guru is thinking. Finally, a very ordinary man raises his hand and stands up. The Guru beckons him onto the stage and takes him inside the tent at the back. The Guru comes back, his sword dripping in blood, with the man nowhere in sight. Some people actually start leaving out of fear because they think the Guru's gone insane, that he killed that man by cutting his head off.

4 more times the Guru asks for a head and 4 more times, he receives it. By the end of it, people can’t believe what they’ve just witnessed.

But alas! The men are still alive, and had spent their time inside the tent changing into a brilliant new uniform, donning a brand new identity. These men came to be known as the original Panj Pyare (5 beloved ones) and received Amrit from the hands of Guru ji himself, and then collectively issued Amrit to him.

There was nothing magical about these men. They had not mastered the art of “living truthfully”. They were ordinary individuals. The only thing which separated them from the rest was their willingness to give their heads and by extension, their entire lives to the Guru upon his request. They did not raise their hands and walk up to put on the 5 K’s. They did not raise their hands and walk up expecting to follow a Rehat. They did not raise their hands and walk up expecting to immortalize their names in Sikh history by becoming the original Panj Pyare. They went up to die that day, to offer their lives to the Guru upon his request.

Those, I feel, are the people who should be reading and following the Rehat by taking Amrit. None of us are perfect, I think it is unrealistic to expect someone to “live truthfully” without ever making mistakes, because we are all susceptible to them. That is human nature. I therefore feel it is illogical to wait until then to read the SRM and take Amrit. The original Panj Pyare were not chosen because they were judged to be “living truthfully” to a greater extent than the rest of the Sangat. They were chosen to be the original Panj Pyare because they were ready to die for their Guru’s sake. I know lots of people in my life who would happily die protecting Sikhi and their Guru’s teachings (SGGS). That is when you pick up and read the SRM, that is when you seriously consider taking Amrit, because that is the criteria the Guru himself used. People may have their our own individual criteria and opinions of when a person should read the SRM (like you have to be living by the ‘truth’), but I personally give more weight to the criteria used by Guru Gobind Singh ji in 1699.

I see, they do it because of a Rehat? I do it out of a desire to better myself, your right I am struggling with your form of Sikhism.

You are making the mistake of assuming they are mutually exclusive reasons. You can do something because the Rehat instructs it AND because you want to better yourself. When I go to the gym and workout, my personal trainer yells at me to finish the set by completing ALL the reps, even if I’m tired and have a nagging voice in my head telling me to stop because it would be easier. But I don’t just do it because my personal trainer is pushing me on to keep doing it, but because I feel like I would be cheating myself and selling myself short if I gave up, and I want to better myself.

You would be wrong for saying I only push out those last few reps because of my trainer. My trainer offers extra motivation, but the main reason is because it is something I want to do in order to better myself. Likewise, you would be wrong in saying that the Khalsa only read the SGGS ji because the Rehat instructs them to do so. It definitely offers extra motivation to do so by reminding the Sikh of his/her commitment to the Khalsa, but the main reason should be because he/she is motivated out of an earnest desire to learn more about Sikhi, or at least that is the way the Guru envisioned it.

But hey, some people do only push out those last few reps because their trainer is yelling at them to do so. Some Khalsa do only read the SGGS because of the Rehat. That is what happens when we start telling people they need to take Amrit in order to be ‘true Sikhs’. You can be a great Sikh without ever taking Amrit, and a horrible Sikh after taking it. I wish that is something more people would understand. Only those who have a desire to give their lives to the Guru should take it, because that is how the original Panj Pyare were chosen.

It would be absurd to assume that I have only read two lines, but for the purposes of your argument, lets say that is all I have had to read, I would still say that concentrating on living by the truth is going to bring you closer to Sikhism than reading the SRM.....

Yes, I agree with this. Once again I must stress that the SRM is NOT a spiritual document. It is political. Simply reading it isn’t going to do anything by itself, but reading it, having a strong desire to dedicate your life to the Guru and then following it in accordance with reading SGGS ji IS actually going to have an effect. It did for the countless men and women throughout Sikh history who were able to roll around on the floor laughing in the face of death.

Unfortunately your talking utter rubbish, which I will demonstrate to you very easily, google Sikh history, and then read it, even on established Sikh sites, and what do you see, multiple marriages, miracles, people being brought back to life, etc etc etc. Those Sakhis have influenced Sikh history hugely, right down to the first Amar Chitra Katha I read when I was 6. They may not be what you are talking about, but they sure are what everyone else is talking about.

Lol dude, you need to get over this obsession with the Sakhis. When I talk about Sikh history, I’m not talking about the writing on some random websites. ANYBODY can create their own website and write whatever the hell they want. Yes, it is a shame that there exists so much misinformation about Sikh history within the Panth today. It is a shame there are so many websites which claim to be espousing Sikh history when in reality, they are simply regurgitating the hagiographies which have found their way into oral tradition over the year. This wouldn't be such a big problem if more Sikhs actually took the time to read actual history from academic sources instead of believing the Sakhis were the only source of information on the Sikh past. Sikhs need to start learning their history gain or risk becoming easy prey to propaganda machines which wish to destroy Sikhi either by absorbing it (like Hinduism) or converting Sikhs to their religion (orthodox Christians and Muslims).

Do you know what I mean when I say ‘actual Sikh history’? I’m not talking about random websites which rely on Sakhi hagiographies. I’m talking about the works of actual academic authors and research specialists. People like Khushwant Singh, Harjot Oberoi, J.S. Grewal, Teja Singh, Ganda Singh, Louis. E. Fenech, Purniva Dhavan, W.H. McLeod, and even Macauliffe. Any of those names ring a bell? There’s plenty more where they came from…

Khushwant Singh’s ‘History of the Sikhs’ would be a good place to start. If you’re interested in a further study of the relationship between ‘regular Sikhs’ and ‘Khalsa Sikhs’, check out Harjot Oberoi’s ‘The Construction of Religious Boundaries’. It would also answer most of your questions about the necessity of Rehat documents and how they’ve preserved the sanctity of Sikhi into the modern age. ‘Sikh History From Persian Sources’ if you’re looking to see how the early Sikhs and Khalsa were viewed by Afghan and Mughal writers. ‘Sicques Tigers or Thieves’ if you’d like to see European accounts on the Sikhs. And these are just the tip of the iceberg. All these manuscripts are preserved in top libraries across the world. This is actual Sikh history, writings in random websites based on the Sakhis don’t make the cut.

again, the proof is in the pudding, what you feel or have opinions about is not how the rest of the word sees it, again, one only has to browse the internet to see how Sikh history is presented.

Except that stuff isn’t what I’m basing my opinions on. It isn’t even actual Sikh history, at least not authoritative enough to be stand-alone. You are doing a huge disservice to Sikh history by trying to reduce it to the hagiographic tales in the Sakhis. I don’t care if you do any further research into this stuff or not, but it may be a good idea to stop making outlandish statements about how “most of Sikh history is corrupted beyond belief” when that clearly isn’t the case.

Now this is where you really need to understand where I am coming from, I am not an academic like yourself, I am not a social Sikh, I do not socially know any other Sikhs, I do not mix with Sikhs, (actually I do not mix with anyone), so I do not really need Sikhi to support my position, and nor do I wish to push my opinion as Sikh fact. I have come to my own conclusions through living, through alcoholism, drug use, casual sex, prison, bankruptcy, 5 heart attacks, etc etc etc etc. What I have learned, I see similar in Sikhism, and that makes me happy, and I write about it. If your telling me that I am not a Sikh, thats fine, you will have to join the queue, but I do not believe in rituals, and as far as I know Sikhism does not believe in rituals so that is where I am.

No, that’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m sure you’re a fine Sikh, and I respect your right to nurture your relationship with the Creator however you see fit. I don’t care if you don’t want to go to a Gurdwara, talk to other Sikhs or sit down and try to meditate. Everything you do is between you and your Guru, it is not within my rights to judge whether you are a ‘good’ or a ‘bad’ Sikh.

I do believe that is my right

Okay.

I also believe that is my right too, I fail to see your point, are you trying to save me?

Nope, just interested in challenging unsubstantiated, outlandish claims against the SRM.

I see, so the SGGS does apply to me, but the SRM does not apply to me, or even to you, why are we arguing about it then? Replying to your posts is really starting to cut into my day and my chocolate consumption.

See above. My issue is with the idea that the Rehat is a bane on Sikhi, and nothing else.

Err , I'll pass on that one if its all the same to you

Sure, but in the future, maybe don’t make authoritative statements about Sikh history and the SRM?

maybe it is badly translated, who knows

Sure, whatever you say. Do you know of any alternative translation which doesn’t mention waking up in the early hours of the morning and contemplating Akal Purakh?

Well they are not, but many Sikhs do have a ritualistic attitude to the 5 K's

Exactly! Finally, we can agree 100% :p It all comes down to your attitude and the way you approach things. If you treat the 5 K’s as these holy items with magical properties, then your attitude is pretty ritualistic (not to say, it contradicts the actual history surrounding the creation of the Khalsa). If you read the SGGS on a regular basis just because it is written in the SRM or because you want to be ‘holier’ than everyone else and not because you genuinely wish to develop a greater relationship with your Guru, then you’re engaging in empty ritualism. If you are not motivated out of a genuine desire to give your head to the Guru and live the Sikh Spiritual Path to the highest level, then yes, it is empty, useless ritualism.

On the other hand, if you love your Guru and are ready to give your head, not because the SRM says so or because you want to act like you are better than everyone else, but out of your own free will, then I’d argue it is no longer the sort of ritualism the Gurus criticized in SGGS ji.

I see, a bit like the thread the Hindus have!

Just like above, it comes down to intention. If you think the rituals of the Khalsa make you wiser and holier than everyone else, then yes, it is a bit like the threads the Hindus have. However, if you understand the actual meaning behind the practices, that they are to foster a sense of distinctiveness and NOT superiority, and wish to dedicate your life to the Guru, then they are not remotely the same as the thread that Guru Nanak criticized in his writings.

Look, I am not bashing the SRM, there is much of what you write that is good, if you wish me to concede the SRM has its role, fine I am happy concede that, I see little or no point in defending my own opinion when I also consider myself a madman, if you were a madman, we could talk, but your not, so this really is a pointless discussion.

It really seemed like bashing to me when you claimed it was “written for those that did not have the time or inclination to read the SGGS”, that “a load of experts got together years ago, quite a few years ago, and between them decided what the SGGS stood for, what its interpretation was, and how it should be followed” because “it seemed like a good idea at the time”, “itemise the relevant rituals and ceremonies for a religion that was born out of rejection of such”, that it “reduced” the SGGS ji to just another deity and gave people a “short-cut” to half-{censored} their Sikhi. The discussion is there for everyone to see and I think I’ve made enough points to show how none of this is even remotely correct.

Failing that, what exactly is your agenda?

I hope I have made my point clear by now but if I haven’t, I will restate it: none of this is a personal attack against how you choose to practice your Sikhi. The Guru has given you the right to learn and grow with the SGGS ji in any way you like. If the message you take from the SGGS ji is that you do not want to follow any rituals or meditate or any of that stuff, but you are instead inspired by the words of the Guru to be a kinder, gentler person who cares about humanity, than that’s great, if anything I’d say you’re a better Sikh than a lot of others out there these days. My ONLY concern/agenda is with this idea that the SRM was drafted by a bunch of guys who wanted to impose their version of Sikhi on everybody else, that the SRM is the bane of Sikhi and pretty much useless, that it has no role to play whatsoever in the affairs of the Panth and that it has given people an excuse to “short-cut” their Sikhi. My concern is not because I am somehow in love with the Rehat and can’t stand anybody criticizing it-because I’ll be the first to admit that it isn’t necessarily perfect- but because from a historical standpoint, the SRM was ABSOLUTELY necessary in preserving the sanctity of Sikhi and preventing it from being absorbed into Hinduism or destroyed by British proselytizing of Christianity. Historically, Guru Gobind Singh ji himself gave the Khalsa the power to draft, revise, edit and destroy Rehats, and to implement practices which would be followed by the entire Khalsa, with the goal of upholding the distinctiveness of the Sikh Spiritual Path. Bringing these points to light is my only concern, not attacking an individual’s right to practice Sikhi however they want because again, the Rehat doesn’t apply to all Sikhs, just the ones who have chosen to take Amrit.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The discussion is there for everyone to see and I think I’ve made enough points to show how none of this is even remotely correct.

fine, lets move on from the personal trivia and deal with the subject in hand, I do not feel you have made enough points to show anything, other than arguing with you is beginning to feel like arguing with myself, I suggest I start a new thread where we completely dissect the SRM, it will be good, interesting, I hope we learn something.

However, I stress again, any views are mine own and do not represent or reflect the forum.

I look forward to an enjoyable journey of history and translation, together with logic, discretion and intellect.

En Guard!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Brother,

I have created the thread and asked questions that I hope will lead to meaningful debate, if you could provide the next step, and any points that I have made in this thread that you feel you wish to discuss, please make them there. I hope we get some good input from others and I hope we all learn and share together. I sense an intelligence and wisdom in you that means I know this will not descend into mud slinging (however I cannot say the same for myself, haha only kidding), I look forward to your reply

thank you

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
JourneyOflife said:

Lot more need to be discussed, but so far, I've enjoyed the read from both yourself and H.

By the way SGGSJ has1430 pages -

Many thanks

JourneyOflife

Writer
SPNer
Apr 8, 2015
Brother,

I have created the thread and asked questions that I hope will lead to meaningful debate, if you could provide the next step, and any points that I have made in this thread that you feel you wish to discuss, please make them there. I hope we get some good input from others and I hope we all learn and share together. I sense an intelligence and wisdom in you that means I know this will not descend into mud slinging (however I cannot say the same for myself, haha only kidding), I look forward to your reply

thank you

Thank you. It took a while to type out my reply but you asked some really important questions and I wanted to be thorough. Again, I hope I didn't come across in the wrong way and I apologize if I have. I hope you like my post in the other thread and feel free to delve deeper into anything that interests you :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you. It took a while to type out my reply but you asked some really important questions and I wanted to be thorough. Again, I hope I didn't come across in the wrong way and I apologize if I have. I hope you like my post in the other thread and feel free to delve deeper into anything that interests you :)

I liked your post very much, you are clearly passionate about Sikhi, and such passion is rare these days, you have nothing to apologize for, I will, once I have finished this enormous bar of chocolate, go through it and reply, but I must warn you, the more you write, the more I think we are singing from the same song sheet.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
My thoughts on SRM written in 2006.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/threads/thoughts-on-the-sikh-rehat-maryada.14705/#post-49136

Thoughts on the Sikh Rehat Maryada

By Tejwant Singh

It is interesting to notice that Guru Nanak founded our Sikhi way of life to get rid of the shackles of dogmas and lead a pragmatic life. Our honchos of Sikhi, who are sitting crosslegged on their high chairs at the Takhats, are only involved in nothing but. They ban books, ban people from speaking in the Gurdwaras which has 4 doors to welcome all mankind from all walks of life, irrespective of one's hue,creed or faith. Banning people to speak about Gurmat in Gurdwaras is like Saudi Arabia banning all other places of worship but the mosque. They argue about having langar on the floor rather than on tables and chairs no matter if old people can or can not sit on the floor. They do not care about that. Still today, there are no means for the handicapped to visit Harmandir Sahib or any other Gurdwara because they are too involved in banning gay marriage in Canada. It seems like a joke. Doesn't it?

Sikhi was founded on Shabad Vichar, not on having personal ego trips.

The biggest flaw of the writers of the SRM is that it was created by making Sikhi one more dogmatic religion rather than a very unique way of life which is absent of any man made Truth-Subjective reality. They fail to realise that through the SRM they have put padlocks on the 3 remaining doors.

The SRM is only valid if it is based on Gurmat, not on man invented DO's and DON'Ts.

Sikhi is NOT based on what I can or can not do, but what I will or will not do. Until we come to grips with that, we will be leading a manmat path rather than that of Gurmat.

Sikhi demands a lot more from us than just gold leafing the domes.

#1Tejwant Singh, Dec 9, 2006

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM