• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Population: DEcline

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear member

From your post I am not able to learn the real trend in the population of the followers of Sikh religion.

To me number is important but, quality of we Sikh is more important. As the statistics you have projected indicate that the percentage of Jews is less than that of Sikhs but, see the infulence that they have in our world.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Sikh Population, Census in the World, India, UK and USA[/quote]

Apr 4, 2007
NEW DELHI, Sept 7 (OneWorld) - India's release Monday of the country's 2001 religion-wise population Census, reveals that the 19 million strong minority Sikh community has reduced in numbers from 24.3 percent in 1991 to 18.2 percent in 2001, and has one of the lowest sex ratios of women to men.

OneWorld South Asia Home / In depth / Development / Population - Small Families, Less Women Cut India's Sikh Population

are there any more recent numbers? this data is 7 years old. i'd also like to see numbers for sikhs OUTSIDE of india, as i believe sikhism is growing in western countries, which may "make up for" the decline in india.

i also wonder how they define who is sikh...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Yes, this has to be looked into. One can always google out. I do not think that sikhs outside India esp. 'white sikhs' would matter much.There % contribution would be very small.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
LOL

the %age figures given are wrong...

also this paragraph is absolutely ****

<<Members of the community caution that the dwindling numbers of Sikhs should not disqualify them from seeking government employment. For instance, seats in the Indian Parliament, in the armed forces and the civil services should not be allocated on the basis of population. >>

there is no reservation based on religion/ population size

Apr 4, 2007
I tend to think I, as a person, don't matter much.

"Those who understand the Lord's command, do not entertain egotism"

i fear i'm not as spiritually advanced as you. :) i still feel hurt when people are rude to me. yes, it's probably a sign of ego, yes, i'm working on it.

i'm happy for you that you're beyond these petty human emotions. you're very lucky. :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
i fear i'm not as spiritually advanced as you. :) i still feel hurt when people are rude to me. yes, it's probably a sign of ego, yes, i'm working on it.

i'm happy for you that you're beyond these petty human emotions. you're very lucky. :)
I'm not saying i'm past it - I'm just saying that maybe it's better to not say something that shows ego - because when you do so, you are just letting your ego, then, take control.

On the other hand, if i had no ego - Why am i posting this?

Thank you for the insight Kaur ji. :D

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
1 RELIGION, MIGRATION, AND STATE POLICIES: SOUTH ASIAN MUSLIMS, SIKHS, AND HINDUS IN THE US

"
I have 'discovered' Sikhi for about 6 months or so and have attended a Gurdwara a few times. I have forgotten to mention that I live in Cardiff, Wales, UK. There appears to be no other white people in the Gurdwara and so all conversation is in Punjabi. Similarly the worship and service are too. I don't wish to give up my new found desire to embrace Sikhism but I am finding it difficult to feel a part of the congregation. Can you help ..
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-youth/7924-being-new-sikh-trying-fit-sikhism.html

pl. go thru. the above article.It is a nice reading as well.

i suppose this explains your attitude toward me. :)

Hi jasleen ji
I am dismayed by the posts of yours that states that I am rude to you. I think it is your mis-conception and is totally baseless. I cannot dream Of being rude to anyone. I think improvement in writing is required at my end. I shall do that. In the meantime go thru. the followings:

14. Everyone is same
n koeI sUru n koeI hIxw sB pRgtI joiq qum@wrI ]5] (916-17, rwmklI, mÚ 5)
No one is strong, and no one is weak; all are manifestations of Your Light, Lord. ||5||

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM