• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh/non-sikh Marriage

dansmith11

SPNer
May 13, 2006
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in, but here goes...

I'm not much of a religous person, but I've always been interested in various religions and the principles behind them, lately I've been reading a lot about sikhism and so far I love it. My biggest problem with religion has always been the control factor. Im convinced the majority of religion is just in place as a method of control over people. But sikhism doesnt appear to have any of that in it. It seems to be just about leading a good life and being a good person, without asking for blind faith in certain things that cant be proved ever really happened. It seems like a really good way of life.

Now my question is, why is it not acceptable for a sikh to marry a non-sikh?

The main principle's behind sikhism appears to be acceptance, equality, and respect, regardless of race, religion, culture, class etc.

But I've also found quite a few things that say a sikh may only marry a sikh, is this not a contradiction?

I've been trying to read as much as I can about the sikh religion, and I've loved everything I've read accept for that fact. I cant seem to find any justifaction behind it, and its been bothering me, could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Rajwinder

Writer
SPNer
May 2, 2006
As far as my knowledge goes it is like this :

1. A sikh is one who follows sikhism
2. Sikhism is a set of rules
3. He/she follows it caus they know the imp and beneifits of doing so.
4. Now marrying some body who wouldnt follow sikhism is not against any rule but the person who follows it, will not feel comfortable with one who wouldnt follow it.

But the ground reality is most of the people follow sikhism only up to the limit where they feel comfortable ,after that they make there own theories or better mould the things according to the ways that suits them. so in that case every thing goes ... see no body should force any body to follow any religion ... if the religion is having good things or by follwoing those things ur getting beneifts then what is the issue ?

dansmith11

SPNer
May 13, 2006
it says in the Rehat Maryada:

Anand Sanskar (Lit. Joyful Ceremonial: Sikh Matrimonial Conventions and Ceremony)
Article XVIII

(a) A Sikh man and woman should enter wedlock without giving thought to the prospective spouse's caste and descent.
(b) A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh.

Lion King

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
hi,

from what i know of history,

Bhai Nand Lal, who was a contemporary Afghan poet of Guru Gobind Singh Ji from Kabul, was married to a Sikh woman. He was a Hindu, till he was inspired by his wife's daily Sikh prayers and the Guru's fame that he decided to meet the Guru in Anandpur sahib in India. Under the charismatic spell of the Guru, he became his Sikh immediately, but was still lovingly called as Bhai Nand Lal (without 'Singh' to his name).

What I meant to point out was that he was married to a Sikh woman and there was no problem about it.

Just a thought,
Lion King

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das would like to put a thing over here that there are many orders within Sikh faith who do not follow sgpc code which which you hav e mentioned above.,ie sgppce code.

Anyway only with the case of Muslim that either we have to be Muslim or she/he has to be Sikh as per orthodox school of Sikhs say but it is quite few in numbers.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: