• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Names. Ideas?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
It was suggested to me, that at the time of Amrit to take a Sikh name. I know the name is chosen (usually by the parents) based on the first letter of the Hukam that day. So mine will be base don the Hukam the day I take Amrit.

Since I obviously did not have a Sikh name at birth, I am in a unique situation where it was suggested to me (and verified that I can indeed do this) that if I have a specific meaning I would like, to make a list and bring with me at the time.

So basically here is what I did... My Dad passed away in 2001 and one of the last things he said to me was "Remember the Light" (sounds very Sikh doesn't it?? He was devout Catholic actually!) But I figured a good way to incorporate a bit of my parents into the name, and my Dad's memory was to come up with a list of names that contain the meaning "light" which was surprisingly easy since there seems to be multiple prefix and suffix in Sikh name makeups that mean either light, lamp, ray, or flame. I know basically Sikh first names are neither gender oriented but that some names are still more associated with one or the other... so that's why I'd like some ideas... A couple letters were tricky only having a few names even listed on any Sikh name sites. If you have any better ideas for any letter, please share keeping in mind my general theme for the meaning, and if I have missed any letters also please feel free to make suggestions!
Ones with *** I am not so sure about, but couldn't come up with anything else...

Udaijot (rising light)

Akaljot (eternal light)

Ekamjot (Gods light)

Satkirin (ray/light of truth)

Harkirin (ray of God’s light)

Kirin (ray of light)

Gurkiran (ray of the gurus light)

Charanjot (light of gurus feet) ***

Jaskirin (glorious ray of light)

Indirjot (Gods Light)

Taranjot (light of heaven)

Dharamjot (divine light)

Navkirin (new ray of light)

Paramjot (supreme light)

Onkarjot (light of Gods name) ***

Brahmjot (ONE with the light of God)

Mankirin (ray of consciousness)

Yashkirin (ray of glory)

Ramkirin (ray of Gods light) ***

Livjot (absorbed in the light of God) ***

Vimaljot (pure light)

Qayyamjot (Gods light) ***

Waryamjot (Light of the Brave) ***

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Akasha ji,

Guru Fateh.

The Sikh name is chosen by the parents/friends/relatives pitching in different ideas because the new born can not have any say.

You can choose the name that you like the most from the first letter of the Hukumnaama. After you get the letter, you may post it here for our suggestions.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Akasha ji,

Guru Fateh.

The Sikh name is chosen by the parents/friends/relatives pitching in different ideas because the new born can not have any say.

You can choose the name that you like the most from the first letter of the Hukumnaama. After you get the letter, you may post it here for our suggestions.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Well that is why I am going with a list containing a name for every letter... so that on that day I will know my name.

:)

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I think Akaljot, Waryamjot, Ramkirin, Qayyamjot etc. are more male-oriented names, go with the alternatives on these letters.
Have you tried these websites? www.sikhwomen.com/SikhNames/, www.singhsahib.com/sikh-baby-names-for-sikh-baby-boys-girls.php, www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Sikh_names

The problem is those sites only have a few names listed for those weird letters... and none of the two or three female oriented names listed are having anything to do with light.

Mind you, I thought that first names were not supposed to be specific gender anyway? btw Waryam was listed as female so I just added 'light' (jot) suffix to it.

Do you have any other alternatives? I can't find Q names at all...

For R the only other two involving light were :
Raskirin: Light of the elixir (of enlightenment?) 0 liked the sound of it but not sure of the meaning
Roopjot: Image of light?? don't really like the sound of the actual name though

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Do you have any other alternatives? I can't find Q names at all...

You wont be needing Q (Kakka payr Bindi), it does not occur in the Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj, wont come as such on a Hukamnama (you have a choice between Q and K if Kakka is the first letter of the Hukam). Try K (Kakka without Bindi)

For R the only other two involving light were :
Raskirin: Light of the elixir (of enlightenment?) 0 liked the sound of it but not sure of the meaning
Roopjot: Image of light?? don't really like the sound of the actual name though

Rishampreet - The one who loves rays of light
Rishamjot - A ray emanating from light

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
You wont be needing Q (Kakka payr Bindi), it does not occur in the Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj, wont come as such on a Hukamnama (you have a choice between Q and K if Kakka is the first letter of the Hukam). Try K (Kakka without Bindi)

Rishampreet - The one who loves rays of light
Rishamjot - A ray emanating from light

So for K/Q then is "Kirin/Kiran" (same meaning different spellings)

R - Raskirin/Raskiran I guess sounds best to me...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM