• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Harrased For Not Wearing Helmet

Apr 4, 2007
the question is-

is patka = pagg as defined for indian road laws??

it is not!!!

so patka wearers must wear helmet

agreed. i have been told that the law states that the turban must be of 2 meters or more in length to qualify as a "turban" and therefore substitute for a helmet.

i'm still searching for the exact wording of the law.

it's very simple, really, move the joodha to the back of the head, cover with a helmet. no problem.

Apr 4, 2007
There is phenominal change in India in 30-40 years .There were hardly any bikes for common man 30-40 years ago.I don't think sikhs ever played sports with wearing turban.
Just look at picture's of milkha singh he participated in olympics with only wearing hanky
on joora also look at picture's of hockey team upto 70's you will find hardly any player who played hockey with turban.

Tell me how could one dive's with wearing a turban.Patka's has provided much support for sikhs or you would have found more and more sikhs cutting their hair.

we're talking about motorcycles, not olympics, hockey, or diving. :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Amar and jasleen just read this

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

New Delhi, September 30
The Supreme Court has exempted Sikh women from wearing helmets in the Union Territory of Chandigarh while driving two-wheelers and has modified the Punjab and Haryana High Court’s order regarding traffic regulation in the city to a great extent making it more practicable.

A Bench comprising Mr Justice Arijit Pasayat and Mr Justice P.P Naolekar said, “We direct that if any exemption is granted to any person, including Sikh women, from any of the Motor Vehicles Rules relating to different states or areas or under any statutory rules, the same shall operate notwithstanding the directions of the High Court that all persons, including women, shall wear helmets” in the Union Territory of Chandigarh.

The Chandigarh Administration, while seeking modification of the High Court guidelines on traffic regulations in the city, had said under the Punjab Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 and the Chandigarh Motor Vehicles Rules, 1990 Sikh women were exempted from wearing helmets and the same should be allowed to them in Chandigarh.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<I don't think police want to take panga with haryaanvi jaats as there plenty of them in police too>>

LOL

why do you always bringing in segways into discussion?

i got suckered in on this one :)

the question is-

is patka = pagg as defined for indian road laws??

it is not!!!

so patka wearers must wear helmet

why don't they want to wear helmet?

Amar I don't think That anywhere it is mentioned in indian law that turbans are replacements of helmets.If you have seen some haryanavi jaats wearing turban and driving bike's then it does not make it legal.I just told you truth that sometime's police too do not harrass them.If you don't like it then its your wish.Please remember Its india not usa and uk

Apr 4, 2007
And how do college going sikhs go to college by flying.In india many youngsters gp to college on bike's and play sports

i see. so that's their excuse for looking like a little kid or a bollywood joke? well, i guess it's a free country. kind of. :)

how hard is it to tie a proper turban over that keski/parna/patka and then untie it when sports time comes?

sorry, it's not relevant to the discussion, it's just a pet peeve of mine. the fact that when bollywood makes jokes of sikhs, they're usually wearing a patka and full beard may be an influencing factor in my dislike for adults in patkas.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
agreed. i have been told that the law states that the turban must be of 2 meters or more in length to qualify as a "turban" and therefore substitute for a helmet.

i'm still searching for the exact wording of the law.

it's very simple, really, move the joodha to the back of the head, cover with a helmet. no problem.
how far back exactly?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
thanks for quoting the punjab code... can you find the national law? i don't think punjabi law would apply in the case in question, since it's in karnataka... :)

Jasleen The above judgement is of supreme court and it is applicable to all states of India not only to punjab and haryana

Head gear not mandatory for Sikh women:SC
3 Oct 2004, 0034 hrs IST,TNN
Print Save EMail Write to Editor

Head gear not mandatory for Sikh women:SC-India-The Times of India

NEW DELHI: Sikh women can now drive or ride on the pillion of two-wheel autos without wearing helmets following the SC ruling that since they are exempt under law from such a regulation, they cannot be subjected to wear the protective head gear.

This significant judgment having impact on Delhi and other states wherever Sikh women are legally bound to wear helmets otherwise heft penalty is imposed on them, is a fall out of the Chandigarh administration’s appeal against a Punjab and Haryana HC verdict in 1998.

The HC had made it mandatory for every Sikh woman to wear the helmets while driving a two-wheel motor cycle or scooter or riding on its pillion.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
so has your rant against indian stae subsided?

its funny if they relax rules for sikhs.

there is not basis for the reasoning used - "no topi" rule in sikhi.

still

is the boy a boy or was he thinking he is a sikh woman?

Apr 4, 2007

i'm going to assume this is directed at me, since you seem to be preoccupied with the idea that i'm "against" the "indian state". :)

in this case, i believe that in a country that allows freedom to practice one's religion, it is necessary to allow turban wearing sikhs to wear their turbans on all occasions, even when riding motorcycles. i support this right in any country. sikhs in some parts of canada have won the right, as well as in the UK. in the US, i don't even know if the battle has been fought, but if it is, i would support it here too.

i'm not "against" any state. i'm supporting the rights of people to practice their religion.

sorry if i've mislead you in some way.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

there is not basis for the reasoning used - "no topi" rule in sikhi.

still

is the boy a boy or was he thinking he is a sikh woman?

Its funny how you are changing arguement first you were saying that its safety which turban could provide now you are saying that is the rule is applicable only for sikh women
so what safety chunni could provide to sikh women.I think its quite clear now that rule is
that sikhs are exempted from wearing helmets irrespective of whether they wear patka or turban or not anything.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
lol

jasleen it was not against you

i should have put name :)

KDS ji

i am not changing my argument

if someone is stubborn to not see reason, i am not going to break my head against stone to convince them :)

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
jasleen ji

turban wearing sikhs are exempt all over india

even in army

its a few fool heads who want to prove patka=turban and beauty queens who want to feel wind in the air, who are using lame rehetnama excuses to defend their logic

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
lol

jasleen it was not against you

i should have put name :)

KDS ji

i am not changing my argument

if someone is stubborn to not see reason, i am not going to break my head against stone to convince them :)

Amar ji

Its quite clear that you don't have answer that's why you are saying that I am stubborn.

Here the issue is law and the law says That sikhs= no helmets not turbans = no helmets. so the boys case is justified.But you are bringing other issues like rehatnama,sikh history etc.

If you want sikhs should wear helmets go ahead submit your petetion to sikh organisations

Apr 4, 2007
jasleen ji

turban wearing sikhs are exempt all over india

even in army

its a few fool heads who want to prove patka=turban and beauty queens who want to feel wind in the air, who are using lame rehetnama excuses to defend their logic

this is what i have heard from my husband and other friends in india. i'm surprised at the idea that anyone who calls themselves "sikh" can ride without a helmet, even if they don't have a turban on. i've never heard this before, and frankly, it doesn't make much sense.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Amar ji

Its quite clear that you don't have answer that's why you are saying that I am stubborn.

Here the issue is law and the law says That sikhs= no helmets not turbans = no helmets. so the boys case is justified.But you are bringing other issues like rehatnama,sikh history etc.

If you want sikhs should wear helmets go ahead submit your petetion to sikh organisations>>>

hanji kds ji

my answers will be useless...specially if the listener is not talking logically.

i accept defeat :)

just hope that the boys in patkas and girls on bikes reach home safely everyday

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: