• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Harrased For Not Wearing Helmet

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<So you want to say that sikhs were foolishly wearing turbans despite the fact it was not at all prescribed by any sikh guru.what about rehat.I think you should discuss this issue with vijaydeep singh ji if he visit this site.

Anyway majority of sikhs beleive that without dastaar a person is not sikh and you can't change their thinking.The main issue here is not whether dastaar=pagg the main issue is right of sikh = not wearing helmet>>
yes i cannot change anyone's thinking, and i am not trying to do

not wearing helmets not only endangers the driver but also people with whom they will crash

anyone would hate to see someone's brains fly out after a crash with their car/truck

i don't have to wait for Vijaydeep ji. A SINGLE direct and exact reference from SGGS to this "no topi" or "Pagg=Sikh" mumbo jumbo will suffice.

pls donot quote rehetnamas, they are as good as nowadays you declaring patka=pagg :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i don't have to wait for Vijaydeep ji. A SINGLE direct and exact reference from SGGS to this "no topi" or "Pagg=Sikh" mumbo jumbo will suffice.

SGGS is pure spirtuality.Also many people manipulate quote's from sggs to prove their points.I think you very well know that apart from guru granth we also have concept of panth to take decisions and the whole panth is is unamously agree with it that sikhs should keep uncut hair.

Today you are advoctaing helmets what's next Not allowing turbaned sikhs to serve in army because of safety purpose and even I heard that some airplane's also require pilot's to become clean shaven.

so in other words just ask sikhs to cut their hair and remove turbans directly.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Amar ji

Please also tell me about what sikh women should do when they driving 2 wheelers or as pillion rider 99.99% sikh women don't wear turban

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Please also tell me about what sikh women should do when they driving 2 wheelers or as pillion rider 99.99% sikh women don't wear turban>>

ALL women, irrespective of color, creed or religion must wear helmet while driving

death doesnot ask you your religion and nor does it give preferential treatment

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<Please also tell me about what sikh women should do when they driving 2 wheelers or as pillion rider 99.99% sikh women don't wear turban>>

ALL women, irrespective of color, creed or religion must wear helmet while driving

death doesnot ask you your religion and nor does it give preferential treatment

well then amritdhari women will even stop driving 2 wheelers

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<SGGS is pure spirtuality.Also many people manipulate quote's from sggs to prove their points.I think you very well know that apart from guru granth we also have concept of panth to take decisions and the whole panth is is unamously agree with it that sikhs should keep uncut hair.>>>>

i am not contesting uncut hair, i do accept that majority of sikhs feel hair are part of the showing your commitment to sikhi and its their wish. i am asking this "no topi" logic. please donot mix hair with helmets.

<<<Today you are advoctaing helmets what's next Not allowing turbaned sikhs to serve in army because of safety purpose and even I heard that some airplane's also require pilot's to become clean shaven.>>

armies around the world allow turbans and it has to be specific, just like the army dress. so this is a weak reasoning line. Armies will never allow patkas.

Airplanes asking for clean shaven ppl?

i have heard this for first time

i know many bearded and turbaned sikhs who are fighter pilots

they tie their beard and ah yes they do wear helmet while inside the plane. as it contains your gas mask and communication devices.

<<<so in other words just ask sikhs to cut their hair and remove turbans directly.>>>

i never said that ppl should cut hair or remove turbans

the point here is "while driving" please wear a protective gears per rules- helmet or a proper turban.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<well then amritdhari women will even stop driving 2 wheelers>>

may i ask why?

just because someone is feeding them a dogma of "no topi" ??

i am questioning the dogma of "no topi" and not the right to drive witha proper dastaar.

why don't they wear a dastaar while driving?

jasleen ji menitioned her views too :)

and i am not questioning just sikh women, i am even asking that irrespective of religion, people should follow certain rules.

as you mentioned in your posts earlier, times have changed, when these rehetnamas were made, there were no bikes.

these dogmas should change with changing time.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i am not contesting uncut hair, i do accept that majority of sikhs feel hair are part of the showing your commitment to sikhi and its their wish. i am asking this "no topi" logic. please donot mix hair with helmets.

Its upto panth and people I personally don't have any objection wearing helmet.

armies around the world allow turbans and it has to be specific, just like the army dress. so this is a weak reasoning line. Armies will never allow patkas.

Airplanes asking for clean shaven ppl?

i have heard this for first time

i know many bearded and turbaned sikhs who are fighter pilots

they tie their beard and ah yes they do wear helmet while inside the plane. as it contains your gas mask and communication devices.

Not at all armies all over world don't allow it US army don't allow any religious symbols

as far airplanes are concerned I read it on sikhnet that some airlines or army(not india) don't allow it because beard could catch fire because of combustion.so not so sure about it.

pilots

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Not at all armies all over world don't allow it US army don't allow any religious symbols>>

important word is ANY

so i think there is no specific discrimination with sikhs

i have seen many commercial pilots outside india(UK, europe, canada, US) who have beards, though they might not be sikhs.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<Not at all armies all over world don't allow it US army don't allow any religious symbols>>

important word is ANY

so i think there is no specific discrimination with sikhs

i have seen many commercial pilots outside india(UK, europe, canada, US) who have beards, though they might not be sikhs.

Amar ji

The main point is safety not armies I think sikhs should sacrifice some of their safety in some fields for wearing turban or sporting beards then why can't they do it while driving
2 wheelers

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Amar ji

The main point is safety not armies I think sikhs should sacrifice some of their safety in some fields for wearing turban or sporting beards then why can't they do it while driving
2 wheelers>>

legally, turbans are considered safe, if properly worn

not PATKAS :)

we come back to the discussion with you mixing, right to wear turban, keeping hair etc etc, which i have duly clarified as having nothing to do with right to drive 2 wheelers

but it all boils down to the stigma and dogma attached to "no topi"

why else would sikh women take out processions in chandigarh against helmets for women..?

funny coz a large majortiy were college going girls :)

is there a hidden agenda behind "no topi" rehetnama?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<well then amritdhari women will even stop driving 2 wheelers>>

may i ask why?

just because someone is feeding them a dogma of "no topi" ??

i am questioning the dogma of "no topi" and not the right to drive witha proper dastaar.

why don't they wear a dastaar while driving?

jasleen ji menitioned her views too :)

and i am not questioning just sikh women, i am even asking that irrespective of religion, people should follow certain rules.

as you mentioned in your posts earlier, times have changed, when these rehetnamas were made, there were no bikes.

these dogmas should change with changing time.

orthodox sikhs will never agree with it.When even muslims are getting shariat laws of 7th century I don't think anyboduy has right to point out at others.

so don't bring this issue it will only put fire on separatist movements

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<Amar ji

2 wheelers>>

turbans are considered safe, if properly worn

not PATKAS :)

I don't think so if yes then why others don't get the option of wearing turban or helmet even turban is pride of indiaan people

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<I don't think so if yes then why others don't get the option of wearing turban or helmet even turban is pride of indiaan people>>

i have seen haryanvi jaats in delhi driving bikes with pagris.( large ones)

they were not booked.

mind you, delhi is quite strict in helmet rule.

and yeah, for once lets recognize that india DOES consider diversity issues.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<I don't think so if yes then why others don't get the option of wearing turban or helmet even turban is pride of indiaan people>>

i have seen haryanvi jaats in delhi driving bikes with pagris.( large ones)

they were not booked.

mind you, delhi is quite strict in helmet rule.

and yeah, for once lets recognize that india DOES consider diversity issues.

I don't think police want to take panga with haryaanvi jaats as there plenty of them in police too

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<I don't think police want to take panga with haryaanvi jaats as there plenty of them in police too>>

LOL

why do you always bringing in segways into discussion?

i got suckered in on this one :)

the question is-

is patka = pagg as defined for indian road laws??

it is not!!!

so patka wearers must wear helmet

why don't they want to wear helmet?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
We should design helmets for turban or patka wearers. Especially, patka wearers because they get 0 protection from it.
:)

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
sinister ji proposed a design

as a budding entrepreneur bhagat singh ji

i have seen you looking for avenues of integrating sikhs with gaming world etc

a sikh helmet won't be a bad idea :)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
yeap your right 100%

ill just sit back and let mother nature deliver that message for me.

modern helmets provide significantly more protection because of the hardness of the carbon-fiber shell...the impact energy is converted into vibrations and then absorbed by the inner layers of hard foam and then by the soft cushions lining your head. (you also have your skin, skull and CSF fluid for further cushioning of the brain)
a turban cannot provide the harder outer shell protection. A turban also has a knack of coming off when it is tied loosely and experiences high G acceleration. Most turbans expose the areas on the anterior of the parietal bone (on the top of your cranium)...im talking about serious damage...the anterior fontanelle and sagittal suture are left exposed (these are the weak areas within your skull)...the turban provides minimal protection to the occipital bone, parietal and frontal eminence.

anyways
its just not safe thats all...although you should be free to wear whatever you wish. just dont complain when they are scraping pieces of your brain, off the freeway.:wink:
not unless, you wear a huge dhumalla with wires and chakars around it like nihangs. :wink:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: