• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

sikh friend hiding disability in marriage

Aug 23, 2022
Hello all,

I need some assistance. One of my best friends ( sikh male ) is due to get married next year and he unfortunately has a serious hidden health condition since birth.

He is hiding this from his future wife and in-laws as he feels if they find out, they will straight away break off the marriage. This is because his condition has 50/50 chance of being passed to baby.

I told him before formally continuing with the marriage, he should disclose and be honest and then see if she truly loves him.

I completely agree what he did was not right.. but he said he wouldn't have done it if there was not so much stigma around disability and poor health in sikh community.

Is there anything written in our religion on this matter? How should it be dealt with?

Thanks

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I agree with Swarn.

He shouldn't need it spelled out specifically that hiding such a critical thing is wrong. It's selfish and as Swarn said in one word, an injustice.

Aug 23, 2022
I agree it is wrong. He is going to come forward to see if the family accepts his imperfections.

However definitely disagree on selfish and injustice, that is very superficial thing to say.

You have to understand, this person was born with a serious health condition and so many of his sikh family and friends treat him like outcast so I don't blame him. This is why I wanted to know if gurbani says anything specific about these things?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: