• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Sikh Can Win Anywhere In World,but Not In India (except) Punjab

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
http://{censored}/news/59DSC02528.jpg

By Gurmeet Singh Sohal
In July/August 2009, I visited Tanzania along with my family to attend a Sikh wedding. Where we enjoyed the beautiful weather and the hospitality of Tanzanian people, we also had the opportunity to meet our cousin Mr. Parmukh Singh Hoogan for the first time, who is the only Sikh Member of Parliament in Tanzania.
When I told him that I was a member of the local Conservative party in my own town in the UK and had contested in local elections, he took special interest in me and asked so many questions about politics in the UK and policies of various political parties.
We were very eager to know about his rise to this prestigious status because our families had no contact with each other for decades. We had some background knowledge that as early as 1935 his maternal grandfather arrived in Tanzania as a qualified architect. Then more family members followed him.
Parmukh Singh told us that all family members worked very hard and had settled well in Tanzania. He also told us that his late father Mr. Gurmukh Singh Marwaha was a police officer in Tanzania but later he moved to the UK and worked as an Immigration Adviser for an institution called UKIAS situated in Birmingham.
I asked him how he entered the Tanzanian politics? He replied, “I was running my motor garage business. On Zanzibar Island, where I live, we are the only Sikh family, the rest of the population is mixed with majority of Muslims. The whole community approached me to represent them in the Parliament. I agreed and wound up my business and took up politics as a full time profession. I won the first election with landslide victory. Since 2000 I have been serving my constituency of Kikwajuni representing CCM Party which is ruling the country at present, and I am planning for my third term for which the elections will be held in October 2010”.
Mr.Parmukh Singh was a member of Anti Racist Committee which represented Tanzania in South Africa on the issue of racism.
He invited us to visit the Tanzanian Parliament at Dodoma, which was a great honour for us. We accepted his invitation. On the given day he took us to visit the Parliament. We were welcomed by the Speaker and honoured by the House.
We were quite impressed when we saw the House proceedings were being conducted
in the local language of Kiswahili. Parmukh Singh told us that the House has 325 MPs and President has the power not the Prime Minister contrary to many other countries like England and India.
Mr. Parmukh Singh will visit the UK soon after the elections there in October 2010.
We wish him every success and look forward to his visit to the UK.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Vikram ji

I cannot answer the question because I don't know enough about the politics of other countries. But -- your story was really interesting. One of the best in recent times. :)

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
S. S. Ahluwalia is an MP belonging to BJP from Jharkhand. Buta Singh until recently was elected from Jalore in Rajasthan. Tarlochan Singh is from Haryana and ofco{censored} Manmohan Singh is from Assam. But all of them are members of Rajya sabha (Upper house) and not Lok Sabha. That is they are not grassroot politicians. They have been elected indirectly by the elected representatives of the respective states.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
S. S. Ahluwalia is an MP belonging to BJP from Jharkhand. Buta Singh until recently was elected from Jalore in Rajasthan. Tarlochan Singh is from Haryana and ofco{censored} Manmohan Singh is from Assam. But all of them are members of Rajya sabha (Upper house) and not Lok Sabha. That is they are not grassroot politicians. They have been elected indirectly by the elected representatives of the respective states.

Sikhs would get elected in Lok Sabha too. Its a myth to think they won't be.

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
but the PM is a Sikh?

Why the doubt?
He beleives only in SGGS. He does not visit any Babas or Deras unlike many punjab politicians. Before he became a PM he used regularly sit in Sangat in Sikh congregations and also take langar whenever available. His wife does excellent kirtan and used to perform in Sangat previously. He proactively sanctioned Rs 1500 crores of Central funds ostensibly for the development of infrastructure at Nanded coinciding with 300 years Guru Gadi Divas. He is also taking active interest in cleaning up Amritsar and development of Bhatinda. He is as honest as good sikh can expected to be. The only thing that may go against him as many Sikhs perceive it, is that he belongs to Congress party. But then do you expect him to be India's PM from BJP? or that he rather not be India's PM at all?

Both as an ex Finance Minister and as PM he has done much to give a positive image of Sikhs Internationally which no other Sikh has managed to do since Maharaja Ranjit Singh

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Sorry i meant in the Delhi govt. Isn't one of the Delhi govt ministers a sikh? his surname is lovely or something.

He is a State MLA and not MP. Moreover, Delhi is not an indepenedent state like others (Punjab, Up, Haryana etc.). Every action of the delhi state assembly has to be approved first by the LG of delhi and than by a joint secrteary incharge of Delhi state affairs in Home ministery in then centre.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
He is a State MLA and not MP. Moreover, Delhi is not an indepenedent state like others (Punjab, Up, Haryana etc.). Every action of the delhi state assembly has to be approved first by the LG of delhi and than by a joint secrteary incharge of Delhi state affairs in Home ministery in then centre.

Ye but they still won the elections didn't they which i think was the point of the oiriginal poster.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM