• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Sikh Boys Doing Stunts On Reality Shows?

Do You think these kind of Bloody stunts , Portray Sikh Community in a Negative manner?

• No

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Generally it does not ,but this one does.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harsh72

SPNer
Nov 15, 2011
India Talent Show - Warriors of Goja AMAZING - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal and blessings to everyonemundahug, I am new user:newhere:.

What Do you think about these kind of Stunts,does this have something to do with Sikh Martial traditions?

How does it Portray the Sikh Community to the Ignorants and outsiders who do not have any remote Idea of Sikh Community and Culture?

Is it really martial Arts swordfight?

Do you think this Viral Video will make people more aware about our Community? Will they be curious to find out about Sikhs ?

one thing to note is that the video is uploaded by probably a westerner ,who copied a similar video uploaded by some South Indian (it was a Telugu Show?) earlier and there is hardly any mention of Sikh or Sikhi even the Jaikara by those Performers is muted and the video is very much edited.

Viral video sometimes also make social impact and become a part of Slangs and stereotypes.And This is probably the first time I have seen a video related to Sikhs becoming viral.

And most of the comments are highly ignorant and racist and even Anti Muslim (typical case of mistaken Identity)

So far,The video has 5.5 million views in 9 days, and 90% of People who have rated the video have liked it ,in the reaction Bar most people have rated it 'Incredible'.

These are some questions in my mind ATM, there will probably be few more.I have asked so many qns' Fellow members may respond and skip to questions which they wish.

If the video stays then it will have crorers of views.

How do you see this?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: SIKH BOYS DOING STUNTS : VIRAL VIDEO ON YouTube "VIDEO TITLE IS India Talent Show - Warriors of Goja AMAZING "

This takes away from what the Original Gatka/sant sipahi meant to be...and turns it into a STUNT..showmanship..vikhava..entertainment for the masses...
To me this is continuing the Attack on Sikhi/Gurmatt principles...and going off tangent...in a different manner than the ongoing attacks on srm, sggs, sikhi principles, sant-sipahi traditions etc etc...Gatka and Sipahi in Gurmatt is NOT meant for dikahwa,,show off or entertainment..its a spiritual - deeply spiritual purpose.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Re: SIKH BOYS DOING STUNTS : VIRAL VIDEO ON YouTube "VIDEO TITLE IS India Talent Show - Warriors of Goja AMAZING "

Yes, somehow i agree with Gyani-Jairnail Singh, but otherwise, it is telling the world who strong we sikhs, are and even if we are a minority in the world, you need to discern us! But i got a question, is this real talent if they bleed?

Ah sh*, missclicked voting...

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN

This takes away from what the Original Gatka/sant sipahi meant to be...and turns it into a STUNT..showmanship..vikhava..entertainment for the masses...
To me this is continuing the Attack on Sikhi/Gurmatt principles...and going off tangent...in a different manner than the ongoing attacks on srm, sggs, sikhi principles, sant-sipahi traditions etc etc...Gatka and Sipahi in Gurmatt is NOT meant for dikahwa,,show off or entertainment..its a spiritual - deeply spiritual purpose.
In Jaloos, too, there is a show of our strength... how Jaloos is different from what these Singhs are doing...
:singhsippingcoffee:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!

welcomekaurHarsh72 ji, welcome to the SPN and thanks for highlighting the video

I was actually quite disgusted by this video on several levels;
* There is a huge difference between jaloos and the show. In a jaloos it is gatka that is displayed. Gatka requires incredible skill and discipline. This show was just violence. There was no skill!!
* They were inflicting pain for the sake of inflicting pain. It made them look like a bunch of thugs. Not conducive image to self defence or defender of the weak. With images like that no wonder non-Sikhs are suspicious of the kirpan!
* I found teh tearing off of shirts very vulgar. A Sikh is someone who always carries themself with dignity. There was nothing dignified about their act, mannerisms or behaviour.
* The man had obviously shaved their chests and arms to do the stunts. How is the removal of kesh in keeping with the Sikhi image they are trying to portray?

Displays of gatka, I am completely supportive of as they are educational and beautiful. This was not artistic or tasteful or constructive. It was just violence :omggg::omgg::shockedmunda::confusedkudi:

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

I am with Jasleen ji on that one. I differ in that I do see something positive here and I see the skill and discipline that goes into what they did.

Viral video sometimes also make social impact and become a part of Slangs and stereotypes.And This is probably the first time I have seen a video related to Sikhs becoming viral
Really? Check this out my brother, go to the Youtube link and see related videos:
Tunak Tunak Tun (Best Copy) - YouTube

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I on the other hand see nothing positive in this at all, its the sort of cheap entertainment that passes for saturday night TV here in the UK, I am quite dismayed to see it has spread to India. Its been some time since I watched Indian TV, back in the late 70's actually, its certainly slick and sharp, bit dismayed at the portrayal of the female judge, actually dismayed at the whole thing, cannot see what positive message it is sending about Sikhism,

Bhagatsinghji, I believe this sort of thing is similar to Sewa, you can have all the skill and discipline in the world, but as soon as you brag about it, it becomes moot and worthless, just my opinion

Harsh72

SPNer
Nov 15, 2011

In Jaloos, too, there is a show of our strength... how Jaloos is different from what these Singhs are doing...
:singhsippingcoffee:
Aman Singh ji

IMHO in Jaloos ,the people performing Gatka are trained People.It is very good, I haven't heard of anyone hurting himself/herself or others or bleeding while Performing in front of Audience.And I feel very good when i see those Singhs and Kaurs keeping the martial culture,tradition and history alive and connecting others to it.But this was more like Show of Physical strength or Pain bearing ability for example One guy Hitting other one on his chest with a Hammer .And the worst Part was Bleeding and injuries and after watching that video a lot of Parents might get discouraged or Hesitate in Sending their kids to learn Gatka,(do these bloody injuries happen while learning Gatka?).I am also not sure whether eating tubelights is a part of Gatka.And Sadly they Probably have proved Sajid khan Right ,Who made Some Anti Gatka Comments (Whatever the real intentions and reason for his comments ).He called it Dangebazi in first Performance of Bir Khalsa group (later he apologized for his comments).

power of khalsa - YouTube

Bhul chuk maaf .

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
This has appeared in the Daily Mail this week under the title "warriors of Goja".. It was posted on my facebook by a Lithuanian kid 15 yrs .... we had a good discussion when I mentioned that they were Sikhs and could fight if needed...anyway he didnt know anything about sikhism.

I mentioned that Sikhs have always stood up against tyranny, why the turban was important etc...He was interested...He is into Manga comics and posted "the battle of chamkaur" video.....As a kid he said the warrior with the white beard was cool

Battle of Chamkaur (Khalsa vs Mughal) 1704 - YouTube

Explained the vikings wern't the only cool people and he wanted to know more about Baba Deep Singh...(the cool warrior as he said)

He admires Sikhs and knows so much more now.... also something about the ethics,morality and that we are not thugs. Sikhism 1 Vikings 0 ;-) ... and also history..... He still thinks Thor and his hammer could have beaten them all...BUT WONDERFUL that kids are asking questions. Its up to us to explain.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry ji
I agree. But no matter how horribly you perceive it, learn to see the positive in it.

Of course there is something positive in everything that is horribly perceived, cow poo makes excellent fertiliser, I heard a rumour once that a BMW X5 managed to navigate reasonably in the snow, sure, one can see the positive in this, just as I can see the positive in a cowpat, however, We tend to focus on the overal message as perceived by others, namely, cow poo smells, and the X5 is a truly awful car that gives 4x4 types a bad name

From a non Sikh point of view, the blood, the bare chests, the egos, the pride, and, the actual reason for doing it, smells too much to appreciate any secondary value, although such value must exist, as stated by others in this thread

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
As the opening post remarked "So far,The video has 5.5 million views in 9 days, and 90% of People who have rated the video have liked it ,in the reaction Bar most people have rated it 'Incredible'."

One question that is important is are they trying to represent Sikhism in the show or are they just Sikhs who happen to be in this show ?

I believe the latter !!

5.5 million people have watched it and many probably dont know too much about Sikhism..those that are interested will research and find out more. Perhaps it is just a show and "much ado about nothing" .

I remember as a kid when the Sikh was the bad guy bodyguard in a James Bond film..and again he was accused of bringing Sikhism into a bad light. Perhaps he was just an actor.!!

With reference to hurting oneself, that happens in every martial art. Ive broken my wrist and collar bone doing Aikido. I am sure accidents happen in Gatka.... but I dont think the show tries to pretend this is any sort of martial art.

As the opening post makes clear "the video is uploaded by probably a westerner ,who copied a similar video uploaded by some South Indian" SO WHAT ? "there is hardly any mention of Sikh or Sikhi" ITs a show by Sikhs not about Sikhism !! I DONT SEE non-Sikh media outlets discussing the show with any regards to Sikhism as a whole, except the reference to warrior-saints occasionally.... Not many religions have their own martial art and to some extent it is an image that has been encouraged. I dont see the portrayal of Sikhism as a whole in a bad light.

Besides they are NOT boys..They are mainly Men.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Interesting, if one watches it taking out the fact that they are Sikhs first, and just watches it as a demonstration of martial skills, that just happen to have Sikhs in it, it does take on a slightly different hue,

It does beg the question for us all, are we Sikhs that happen to be people, or people that happen to be Sikhs, how much does and should Sikhi define us as ourselves, after giving consideration to LionSinghji's reply, maybe we should concentrate on being good people in line with Sikhi thinking, rather than good Sikhs in line with popular or people thinking, certainly something to muse about whilst missing the News of the World on a Sunday....

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
What annoys me more is the 2nd video posted by Harsh72. I have issues with that more that the show video. It is clearly an expression of Gatka .....and Khalsa identity.

power of khalsa - YouTube

An Indian show...the imbecile male judge in the middle...he complains that it is a child. If it wernt for young Sikhs learning such skills and fighting for freedom and India...he would be speaking Arabic now and a show like his would never have been allowed. Perhaps he is also against Guru Gobind Singh Ji for being TOO young on his Guruship to have fought for his and our freedoms !!!

Obviously he equates Sikh history with violence and then waffles on about the child safety. Dont hear him condemn all the young Sikhs who died for India. Dont see any understanding of the importance that Gatka is a discipline.....all he says " Its is promoting young kids with violence" !!!!!!

That is a disgrace when Indians themselves dont understand the essence of Sikhism..to equate it to violence. ...in this case one ignorant judge. He has insulted Sikhism more than anyone else. Let him condemn Guru Goibind Singh Ji for learning the same and ignore the disciple and sacrifice Sikh children have made to allow him to speak rubbish !!!!!

They dont complain when Sikhs die in their wars do they !!! That is the INSULT. Thank the Gurus that not all India is so blind and forgetfull.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Interesting, if one watches it taking out the fact that they are Sikhs first, and just watches it as a demonstration of martial skills, that just happen to have Sikhs in it, it does take on a slightly different hue,

It does beg the question for us all, are we Sikhs that happen to be people, or people that happen to be Sikhs, how much does and should Sikhi define us as ourselves, after giving consideration to LionSinghji's reply, maybe we should concentrate on being good people in line with Sikhi thinking, rather than good Sikhs in line with popular or people thinking, certainly something to muse about whilst missing the News of the World on a Sunday....

The world defines all on their appearance whether that be looks, clothes, skin colour, hair colour or attire. You cannot ignore the fact they look like Sikhs as people who don't know better (probably the majority of viewers) will judge all other Sikhs in the same way due to appearance.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Harsh72 said:
What Do you think about these kind of Stunts,does this have something to do with Sikh Martial traditions?

No it is entertainment/TV. Just because one is a Sikh does not restrict them from doing stunts. Let us not preach and if one doesn't like don't watch.
Harsh72 said:
How does it Portray the Sikh Community to the Ignorants and outsiders who do not have any remote Idea of Sikh Community and Culture?
Badly but there are too many examples of many Sikhs doing much worse stuff. Likes of drug dealers (someone even cut out middle of SGGS and hid Opium and brought it to Canada). Even more damaging are the Sikh leaders in Punjab from their behavior and destruction that will last generations. This video will be forgotten in couple of weeks.
Harsh72 said:
Is it really martial Arts swordfight?
The question only comes about if somebody claimed it was. It is entertainment nothing more and nothing less. If it scares some goons from doing mischief to Sikhs that probably will be only probable redeemable value.

Harsh72 said:
Do you think this Viral Video will make people more aware about our Community?
Yes.

Harsh72 said:
Will they be curious to find out about Sikhs ?
Yes.

Harsh72 said:
How do you see this?
Some videos one likes others one doesn't. I don't care for this stuff.

I am sure if it came out of a Bollywood movie it will be considered in different light. For me entertainment is Entertainment. I decide what I watch and what I like to watch.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
I think they shouldn't say that about gathka, the fat one guy (host) is wrong. Stufff like this are really good, this the only reason why India is still Dharmic and not abrahamic. If the Guru ddn't do this the result would be like if you look at the country "Indonesia" everyone is mostly muslim now but before they were buddhist/hindu and that would become the outcome if the guru ji didn't do this or teach others.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM