• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Sikh Attacked By Mob In Amritsar

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Amritsar, Punjab (March 15, 2014): As per media reports a Sikh youth was brutally thrashed on Saturday (March 15) by demonstrators in Amritsar for no apparent reason after he asked for a way to reach to his shop near Bhandari Bridge.

Activists of various Dalit organizations were protesting at Bhandari Bridge in support of their demands, including construction of a temple at Ram Teerath.

As per media reports [t]he victim, Jasbir Singh, an Amritdhari Sikh youth, said that he had requested the protesters to let him go to his shop, and without any provocation, he was beaten by some of the Dalit youths. He alleged that they removed his turban off his head and fist cuffed him. They also pulled his hair in the presence of some senior police officials.

He rued that none of the policemen came forward to rescue him. He said police should book the culprits and also demanded justice. Notably, police officials, who later reached the spot, misbehaved with the media.

Meanwhile, Police Commissioner Jatinder Singh Aulakh said the incident was brought to his knowledge, and added that he is also aware of the reports of police officials misbehaving with the media.

He said that he has instructed the DCP to look into the matter, and assured strict action against the culprits, who had thrashed Jasbir Singh, and the policemen for their negligence, if any.

http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2014/03/...mritsar-while-police-remained-mute-spectator/

ASikhbrotherBeatenup.png

1621879_835216893161572_1012523233_n.jpg

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
I heard this was only two blocks from Harmandar Sahib....Singhs don't seem to be safe by themselves these days.

Jul 18, 2007
London
There's actual video footage recorded on a phone doing the rounds showing the full event. Disturbing as always is the fact that there are more "watchers" than those willing to intervene in these types of situations, even more so the new breed of amateur journalists who would rather get a good photo or video on their phone than do something about it!

Nov 23, 2010
Is there any particular animosity between Dalits and Sikhs in Amritsar ?Or is this a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with an angry mob?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
There's actual video footage recorded on a phone doing the rounds showing the full event. Disturbing as always is the fact that there are more "watchers" than those willing to intervene in these types of situations, even more so the new breed of amateur journalists who would rather get a good photo or video on their phone than do something about it!

Please give a link to the video. I very much want to see it.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Amritsar, Punjab (March 15, 2014): As per media reports a Sikh youth was brutally thrashed on Saturday (March 15) by demonstrators in Amritsar for no apparent reason after he asked for a way to reach to his shop near Bhandari Bridge.

Activists of various Dalit organizations were protesting at Bhandari Bridge in support of their demands, including construction of a temple at Ram Teerath.

As per media reports [t]he victim, Jasbir Singh, an Amritdhari Sikh youth, said that he had requested the protesters to let him go to his shop, and without any provocation, he was beaten by some of the Dalit youths. He alleged that they removed his turban off his head and fist cuffed him. They also pulled his hair in the presence of some senior police officials.

He rued that none of the policemen came forward to rescue him. He said police should book the culprits and also demanded justice. Notably, police officials, who later reached the spot, misbehaved with the media.

Meanwhile, Police Commissioner Jatinder Singh Aulakh said the incident was brought to his knowledge, and added that he is also aware of the reports of police officials misbehaving with the media.

He said that he has instructed the DCP to look into the matter, and assured strict action against the culprits, who had thrashed Jasbir Singh, and the policemen for their negligence, if any.

http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2014/03/...mritsar-while-police-remained-mute-spectator/

ASikhbrotherBeatenup.png

1621879_835216893161572_1012523233_n.jpg

although these are depressing photographs, I looked at them with a certain pride, you have a sardar surrounded and completely outgunned in the first photo, yet, he does not seem to be scared or upset, the determination in the first photo makes you quite proud to be Sikh, but it is the second photo that really warms the {censored}les, this is one lone sardar, who no one is helping, people are taking photos and watching, a lone sardar against a mob, is he running? is he crying, no, he is furious and it is taking two policemen to hold him back from running into the mob and fighting back, look at his face, his finger raised and pointing, there may be hundreds of you cowards, but I dont care, I am a Sikh, and I am worth a million of you, and if these idiots dare let me go then you will see what one lone sardar can do to you if you want to play.

What a guy, my hero.He stands for everything I wish to be myself, we were not disgraced that day, and the two policemen only serve to make the final point, justice? don't rely on anyone other than yourself

If I can face my problems and fears today with even 10% of the determination and resolve shown in this young mans face, I would consider myself very lucky indeed, so to the youth in the photo, much respect, youve shown the rest of us how Sikhs should deal with conflict, with grace, pride and a complete lack of fear.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
I know when you go through the streets surrounding the Harmandir, you see human stools in the middle of the walkways. It is surely not Sikhs that are doing this, nor even dogs. There are those who exhibit low-life behaviour, regardless of caste; a Dalit can be a true saint, or sometimes, live similar to dogs who do their business in the street.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I know when you go through the streets surrounding the Harmandir, you see human stools in the middle of the walkways. It is surely not Sikhs that are doing this, nor even dogs. There are those who exhibit low-life behaviour, regardless of caste; a Dalit can be a true saint, or sometimes, live similar to dogs who do their business in the street.

When I lived in Punjab, in an area populated by mostly Sikhs, I used to see those stools too, it was a favourite game to watch as some would walk by with open toe sandals and if we were really lucky, the stool would wrap itself right round, ahhh happy days, of course in those days I also assumed no Sikh would do that, and then I noticed Dalits were coming into the area after dark, defacating and then leaving whilst giggling,

You are insinuating that we are better than Dalits, because surely no Sikh would do it,

The generalisation that appears to be creeping into this forum is quite scary,

a Dalit can be a true saint, or sometimes, live similar to dogs who do their business in the street

does that not apply equally to us all? or just Dalits? or for Sikhs would it be
a Sikh can be a true saint, but never live similar to dogs who do their business in the street unlike Dalits

because that is certainly the intimation

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Harry ji,
I think in India there is a underlying assumption that Dalits or low-castes live dirty, uncivilized lives, and as the stools on the streets of Amritsar and the mob in this news story attest, some are ever-willing to live up to the worst stereotypes. But it's true, of course, every segment of the population is capable both of honourable or abject behaviour.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
It seems we are discussing prejudice a bit on SPN today. Perhaps we need to take an in-depth look at that topic.

I find the Law of Large Numbers of People to be helpful: In any large group of people, 10% will be really good, 10% will be really bad. The rest are just muddling along, doing the best they know how. I wish the "good" percentage were higher for Sikhs, but I really doubt it is.

Dalits and Sikhs should be natural allies. The very word "dalit" means “broken, ground-down, downtrodden, or oppressed.” As Sikhs we are pledged to always aid the oppressed. I am very sad to see this altercation. It needs to be looked into very closely. We really need to see the video of what happened and get to the bottom of this.

And I agree, this Sardar ji, Jasbir Singh, is a good role model for us all, both Singhs and Kaurs.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Some video's...

http://youtu.be/8NvMtMEtVsg

http://youtu.be/2Bbh_0ZKZog

http://youtu.be/NlbcP77lA5E

I tried to upload the mp4 file I received on my phone which covers the start of the argument, but got an error thus, above youtube videos give roughly same footage.

I'm baffled by Punjab Police. Why weren't those goons arrested right there? They beat up the Sikh guy right in front of the police. They didn't do anything.

See this video of Punjab Police promptly humiliating and arresting a Sikh pharmacist during a peaceful protest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONYV8hUKN3Y

Double standard?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM