• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Should SPN Keep The 'Like' Button? SPN Poll

Should SPN keep the "Like" button?

• Yes!

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Yes, but do not display names of members who "Like!"

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I am neutral. It makes no diference to me!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other: Please explain in the thread.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hello admin jios

I'd like to make a suggestion please. I've spent some time on a few other forums over the past 8 or so months, and I've noticed that while most have a 'like'-type reputation system, a lot of them don't display a list of which users like which posts. SPN does.

I feel that sometimes the 'like' system at SPN can create a bit of an 'us vs them' image, where one side of an argument is getting all the 'likes' and the other side isn't.

But as this is my feeling alone, perhaps SPN could have a poll to find out the views of other members with a view to changing it possibly?

I appreciate the 'like' system, however I think it might be good if you could only see when you yourself like a particular post, rather than seeing all the members who like the post.

Thanks for reading.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ishna ji

I hear you. It bothers me too for a lot of reasons. Sometimes I want to encourage a person even when I don't agree. Other times I really agree. It can backfire however with the shy people made very self-conscious about the Like button. I if they don't get a Like will that make them go into a shell? Let's have the moderators discuss it in our Leaders' Section.

Last edited:

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
A definitive yes from me too! I think its a Sikhi like to be upfront and let the poster know that he is being appreciated for her/his contributions.

Randip ji, the dislike button was removed due to some apprehensions by some 'sensitive' members...

IMHO! Likes button is the most interactive feature and keeps the things interesting!

:faujasingh:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Aman Singh ji thanks for your post. My observations below,
A definitive yes from me too! I think its a Sikhi like to be upfront and let the poster know that he is being appreciated for her/his contributions.

Randip ji, the dislike button was removed due to some apprehensions by some 'sensitive' members...

IMHO! Likes button is the most interactive feature and keeps the things interesting!

:faujasingh:

1. Should name be there: For me it helps specially when some people I consider mentors for me provide such feedback. I appreciate such feedback and use it for my steering. Just personal for me though as any thanks is equally valuable and to be appreciated.
    • Unfortunately it does show up as groupie mentality :singhbhangra: where same people would thank the same associates. Positively it at times kind of encourages stronger interactions. In the end it probably evens out.

• We need to remember that greatest newer learning happens when there are differences of opinion versus closeness of opinions.

2. Anonymous Thanks: If possible I believe the forum should allow visitors to leave thanks. This will encourage possible greater interaction and traction to attract new members for mutual learning.
Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Many times I click Like which shows that I have read and understood the post and respect the thought expressed. I may agree with it or not. Many times when I do not agree, I do not even bother to respond in order not to create an argument rather than to further a conversation. But sometimes I do challenge others by asking questions for my own better understanding.

Tejwant Singh

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Many times I click Like which shows that I have read and understood the post and respect the thought expressed. I may agree with it or not. Many times when I do not agree, I do not even bother to respond in order not to create an argument rather than to further a conversation. But sometimes I do challenge others by asking questions for my own better understanding.

Tejwant Singh
My "Like" means much the same. It doesn't mean, "I agree," it means,"I appreciate" or "Thank you for saying that." In fact, I often learn a lot more from posts I don't agree with. Learning is what I'm here for.:grinningkudi:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This is a great solution. Thanks to all! I removes my earlier misgivings. Often there are articles that I don't "Like" but do appreciate because they raise my awareness about an issue. I don't like articles about abuse of women or torture. But when Soul-jyot posts those articles it feels weird to Like but correct to Appreciate.

There are many other examples like this.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM