• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Should Sikhs Who Have Only One Guru Visit Hazur Sahib

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Narayanjot ji,

I have no answer to your first point. This point of ancestral worship which runs counter to Sikhi needs to be looked into.

On the second point, I think Prof darshan Singh ji, catalyzed the issue with his opinion that Dasam pita had nothing whatsoever to do with DG. Because of his standing and because of his well known opposite stand earlier, it sent shock waves in the community. Now this could have been used as an opportunity to resolve the long standing lingering doubts in the mind of Sikhs by a sensible and mature leadership.
But sadly we do not have anyone who is upto the task and they just managed to create a mess.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Narayanjot ji,

I have no answer to your first point. This point of ancestral worship which runs counter to Sikhi needs to be looked into.

On the second point, I think Prof darshan Singh ji, catalyzed the issue with his opinion that Dasam pita had nothing whatsoever to do with DG. Because of his standing and because of his well known opposite stand earlier, it sent shock waves in the community. Now this could have been used as an opportunity to resolve the long standing lingering doubts in the mind of Sikhs by a sensible and mature leadership.
But sadly we do not have anyone who is upto the task and they just managed to create a mess.

harbhans ji

Professor Darshan Singh is not the first person to question the authenticity of DG. This matter was taken up officially in the 1970's by Sikh Scholars, and then again 3 years ago by the Akal Takht. Buddha Dal does not consider the entire so called Dasam Granth to be by Sri Guru Gobind Singh. Nor was there something called a "Dasam Granth " prior to 1903.

Mature leadership lacking, the panth itself may need to engage in a panthic-wide debate to clearly grasp what all the areas of difference in perspective.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harbans ji,

Guru fateh.

Thanks for the response.

This forum is a great place because it allows us to share ideas, interact, even though, at times we disagree. For me, disagreements are part of any learning process, so I welcome them. And, please do not take my disagreements personally.

You write:

It has however never been my contention that just because Hemkunt Sahib matches with the description in Bachittar natak, it automatically gets authenticated as place where Guru ji did penance in his previous birth. All I said was that it can be taken as celebration of great piece of poetry of Bachittar Natak.
From your above statement, one can gather that you believe and have faith in reincarnation and there is such thing as previous birth when our Dasam Pita did penance there.

This is a Hindu concept and belief. Our visionary Gurus acknowledged the fact that Hinduism believed in the belief called reincarnation.
<o:p> </o:p>
SGGS, is full of verses that acknowledge this belief but in every verse it is repeated by our visionary Gurus that if one follows the Sikhi path, then this belief of death and rebirth ceases to exist.

If it were something tangibly true and hence would be the part and parcel of nature, then our Gurus would not have said that at the end of every Shabad regarding the “death” of reincarnation because Ik Ong Kaar is the Energy that creates nature.

Rather than declaring this as false and meaningless belief which for sure might have created a rebellion against our Gurus because reincarnation is one of the main cornerstones of Hinduism, they used the reverse psychology in my opinion in order to avoid any rebellion because most of the people who embraced this novel school of thought called Sikhi, which is idea based were Hindus. And, hence our Gurus tried to steer them towards SAT by explaining through Gurbani the true meaning of life.

We know that beliefs require blind faith hence there is lack of logic and reasoning and also, they can not be combated by them either.
Satnaam, the second word in SGGS, our only Guru, requires no belief but cultivates thinking and reasoning. Truth is a standalone entity. It needs no crutches of belief.
The first Pauri of Jap ji is the solid proof for all of us to see that.
One more important thing to notice and it is a fact that our Gurus never talked or praised about themselves or about each other. They only talked and praised The ONE- Ik Ong Kaar. One can verify that in SGGS.
Keeping the above in my mind, allow me to get back to your post regarding Bachiter Natak.
We all know the meaning of Natak- which means a play, a fiction, something that is untrue. Something that is a make believe, imaginary.
Now the question arises why would a Natak be the manifestation of the truth so that Sikh Scholars would go to great lengths to make it the truth by discovering something which is tangible , and hence decide that this is the physical place where our Dasam Pita did Bhagti in his last life? ( I think by penance you mean Bhagti because the meaning of penance is not what is said in Bachiter Natak).
Penance according to dictionary is:

pen·ance

NOUN:because

1. An act of self-mortification or devotion performed voluntarily to show sorrow for a sin or other wrongdoing.
  2. A sacrament in some Christian churches that includes contrition, confession to a priest, acceptance of punishment, and absolution. Also called reconciliation.
penance - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education
1.Why would these "discoverers" believe in Hindu concept of reincarnation to concoct a place like Hemkunt?

2.Why would they undermine Guru Gobind Singh by deciding that he wrote this about himself hence dwelled into Me-ism, not taking into consideration about the true meaning of Sikhi from our only benchmark- the SGGS?

This I think is the biggest insult to our only Guru- the SGGS and also to our Dasam Pita.

You yourself have said:
Can it not be taken as a celebration of the work of art of Bachittar Natak?
Yes it can, but the fact is that Hem Kunt is not taken as a work of art, a fiction. It is not built on some stage where it can be dismantled. It is a real place where thousands of Sikhs throng to every summer, where art is trying to imitate SAT, which is one more non-trait of Sikhi.
Wikipedia explains Hemkunt like this:
Sri Hemkunt Sahib - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the Indian epic and Puranic literature, Himalayan landscapes are described as the dwelling places of gods and goddesses. Pilgrimage shrines mark the places where the landforms themselves - mountains, rivers, forests, and lakes - are said to have acquired sacred qualities. High above the tree line, in the midst of a natural rock garden of moss, ferns, and flowers, is one such sacred place: a small, blue-green lake fed by water which cascades down from the surrounding mountain walls. Located in the Uttarkhand Himalayas bordering Tibet and Nepal, it is accessible for only four months of the year. Between June and October, sun and monsoon rains melt the ice and snow that are its namesake. Then, the steep stone footpath that leads to the lake is crowded with pilgrims and tourists. They journey to the base of the route on foot from neighbouring mountain valleys, or from the plains in buses, cars, and trucks, on scooters and bicycles, even by foot. Then for two days they climb upward. Some walk, some ride mules, and some are carried by porters. Finally, at the top of more than a thousand stone steps, the holy lake, the Sri Hemkunt Sahib Gurdwara, and the Sri Lakshman Mandir come into view.<o:p>
Sikhs believe that this holy place, known as Hemkunt (lake of ice), is the tap asthan (place of meditation and prayer) at which the tenth and final living Guru of the Sikhs Sri Guru Gobind Singh achieved union with God in his previous incarnation. From there, the Guru was summoned by God to be reborn into the world to teach the people the true path. The temple built on the shore of the lake commemorates his mission. It also shelters the Guru Granth Sahib, the eternal scriptural Guru for the Sikh community. The community is itself recognized as a collective Guru, and pilgrims, as they walk the path toward Hemkunt, share the sacred journey with its members. In this way, all three forms of the Guru - the source of spiritual guidance - are understood to be present at Hemkunt. Sikh pilgrims go there to be inspired to walk the same difficult path that the Guru walked, both in body and in spirit, and to, through the Guru's grace, realize their connection with God in the same place where the Guru realized his. At Hemkunt Sahib, Sikhs feel closer to the Guru and, through the Guru, closer to God.<o:p>
This 'lake of ice' is also sacred to the hill people who live in the valley below. They tell of the gods Lakshman, Hanuman, Shiva, and Vishnu, the tales of their deeds woven together with images from local landscapes. Long before the Sikhs knew the lake as the Guru's tap asthan, these people knew it as Lokpal, and made annual pilgrimages to its shore. For them, as for Sikhs, the journey continues to be an act of devotion, and the holy lake itself is a place for prayer and worship - a place where wishes can be fulfilled.<o:p>
</o:p></o:p></o:p>

You also said:
All I said was that it can be taken as celebration of All I said was that it can be taken as celebration of great piece of poetry of Bachittar Natak

1. Harbans ji, how can one celebrate “a great piece of poetry of Bachittar Natak” when it contradicts the True Poetry which is SGGS?

Isn’t this self contradictory?

2. Who has the proof but our Dasam Pita himself that if he wrote Bachitar Natak?

3. So, isn't this all speculation and taking decisions and making judgements on his behalf undermine our Dasam Pita, his vision, sacrifices and his own decision not to add anything of his to SGGS as many of us are trying to play him?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Tejwant ji,

I do not know how you have come to the conclusion that I firmly believe in reincarnation. I think that language of the text quoted by you is quite clear:
It has however NEVER been my contention that just because Hemkunt Sahib matches with the description in Bachittar natak, it automatically gets authenticated as place where Guru ji did penance in his previous birth. All I said was that it can be taken as celebration of great piece of poetry of Bachittar Natak.

As far as reincarnation is concerned, I have no opinion on it. Maybe if a person is unable to achieve complete purity of soul during his lifetime which should be the aim of this life and requires additional journey in some other vehicle then by the grace of Akal Purakh, so be it!

I do not think any of our Gurus have expressed any clear emphatic opinion for or against it. All they have repeatedly said that this birth is a Golden opportunity for a person to do Kamai of Naam Jap and merge into Ik Onkar.

No one has incontrovertible proof either way regarding the authorship of Bachittar Natak or for that matter entire DG OR even if Dasam Pita did not personally pen it, if he had any knowledge about it. He had 52 distinguished poets in his court so it is plausible he did have knowledge about their work. He could have seen them as an artistic depiction of human nature and behaviour. Most of the great poets when giving effect to their art take the help of fantasy and the prevalent beliefs for their expression and very few reflect actual History.
So taking an overall view, Guru ji MAY have thought though it may have its use, it would not be fit to be included in SGGS since its spiritual content was no match for SGGS.

Regards

roab1

SPNer
Jun 30, 2009
Is Hukamname of Guru Gobind Singh bani? and they are not even adapted from any hindu scriptures. they are as original as they can get. Also there are a lot of things connected with Gurus. For example strands of hair of Guru Gobind Singh. Should 'parkash' be started for them too as they are from the 'body' of the guru? We can bow to them as we do to Guru Granth Sahib. Gurujis bodily ornaments such as his warrior weapons and armours can also 'compliment' Guru Granth Sahib as Guru Granth Sahib guides our 'soul' and hair, weapons, armours of Guru Gobind Singh will guide our 'bodies'. Come to think of it. Sounds good.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
harbhans ji

Nor was there something called a "Dasam Granth " prior to 1903.
I see a trend in sikh history from 1850-60 onwards. Many sects started or blossomed during late 19th century. It culimanted in sikhs demanding their own gurudawara act and getting it by 1925.I had that feeling in my mind and ...... Could it be associated with rise of Arya Samaaj:
Here is some lines at Wikipedia....
Relations with Sikhs
In 1875, the Arya Samaj established itself in Punjab, and some of its members began stating publicly that Sikhism should be considered a branch of Hinduism using what was seen as derogatory language in reference to Sikh Gurus and their writings.Leaders in the Sikh community, however, showed resolve in maintaining the status of their religion as independentand unique, and the statements of the Arya Samaj activists were summarily denounced as acts of aggression with the intent of destroying Sikh religious identity. It was also alleged that the Arya Samaj, which had taken an increasingly active role in certain Sikh Gurdwaras, was introducing practices that were contrary to Sikh principlesand behaving in ways which would prove detrimental to the Sikh faith. In response, organizational efforts such as Singh Sabha and Gurdwara Sudhar Movement were launched for countering Arya Samaj influence and peacefully reclaiming control of Sikh Gurdwaras.

It should be a good topic for Doctrate degree thesis. As I said elsewhere, we need more educated people to guide us.Why a bunch of unauthenticated persons deciding about DG and imposing it on whole religion all of a sudden.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji<?"urn::eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I don't agree, but perhaps I don't understand what you mean when you say,

"Dasam Granth
The Dasam Granth is a valuable document in terms of setting the scene and historical context the Khalsa was created. It gives us an insight into the lore, literature and prose of the time."

Would you elaborate? The historical value of Dasam Granth seems painfully compromised in terms of the provenance of the texts within it. Though each individual text may have some historical merit, together as a granth they represent the work of a committee that gave itself permission to create a Dasam Granth from a variety of 4 parallel granths, none of which matched, and 3 of which did not even include the Zafaranama. The committee, Sodhak committee, conducted its work between 1900 and 1903. Maybe if you provide more detail I will get it.

Ok let me elaborate.
The Dasam Granth is not one continuous document and should not be treated as such ( a massive mistake most people make).
It is a collection of documents put together that were found after the sacking of Anandpur Sahib, so one cannot be certain about authorship. Zafarnama looks most likely to have been written by the 10<SUP>th</SUP> Master.
There are certain things that are valuable:
1) It tells us about the fledgling Sikh community, who still needed Hindu Mythological concepts in order to explain Sikh concepts.
2) Some of the fledgling Sikh community still needed examples of the miraculous and divine in order to understand what the 10<SUP>th</SUP> Master was about.
3) It gives us insights into how men and women can be easily distracted from that path “The Charitars”
4) It used Hindu God metaphors to explain the concept of One God to the still very Hindu influenced Sikh community (Shiva etc).
5) It had heroic tales to inspire followers.
Furthermore it should not be treated the same alongside the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, but rather like an Appendix. Much like Varan Bhai Gurdas and other documents.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Ok let me elaborate.
The Dasam Granth is not one continuous document and should not be treated as such ( a massive mistake most people make).
It is a collection of documents put together that were found after the sacking of Anandpur Sahib, so one cannot be certain about authorship. Zafarnama looks most likely to have been written by the 10<sup>th</sup> Master.
There are certain things that are valuable:
1) It tells us about the fledgling Sikh community, who still needed Hindu Mythological concepts in order to explain Sikh concepts.
2) Some of the fledgling Sikh community still needed examples of the miraculous and divine in order to understand what the 10<sup>th</sup> Master was about.
3) It gives us insights into how men and women can be easily distracted from that path “The Charitars”
4) It used Hindu God metaphors to explain the concept of One God to the still very Hindu influenced Sikh community (Shiva etc).
5) It had heroic tales to inspire followers.
Furthermore it should not be treated the same alongside the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, but rather like an Appendix. Much like Varan Bhai Gurdas and other documents.

LoL Randip Singh ji

I do thank you for your clarification. However, I think we are 180 degrees apart on nearly every point. But because I have typed my fingers to the bone on scores of threads about Dasam Granth in the past 2 months, I ask you to give me a sabbatical from a more elaborate response to you. Let other members have their turn.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: