• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagats Sheikh Fareed Ji's Bani

mesh28

SPNer
Aug 28, 2009
Deal all,

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

I am very curious about two things. In Salok Sheikh Fareed Ji Ke, normally it is always being mentioned 'Fareed' in his verses to signify that it is his verse. But my question is, why is 'Nanak' mentioned 5 times throughout Sheikh Fareed Ji's Bani instead of Fareed?

Here are the verses that mentions 'Nanak' instead of 'Fareeda' which is the normal case. Why is there 'Nanak' being mentioned instead of 'Fareeda'?

O Nanak, she is the happy soul-bride, who is pleasing to her Carefree Lord. ||32||
O Nanak, those humble beings are beautiful, who are imbued with the Lord's Love. ||52||
O Nanak, even sitting in your own home, you can meet the Lord, if your mind is in the right place. ||104||
O Nanak, the Unseen Lord cannot be seen; He is revealed only to the Gurmukh. ||121||
If it pleases Him, O Nanak, He changes a crow into a swan. ||124||

My second question is, we all know Sheikh Fareed Ji only met Guru Nanak Dev Ji on two Occasions but what I am not clear about is whether was it Farid Shakarganj's verses or Sheikh Bhram's verses that were incorporated in Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

Gurmesh Singh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Guru Nanak (all Nanaks) added their own verses in these Shaloks to clear some of the mysticism involved in these verses... in these verses where Guru ji wanted to make a clear statement so that wandering minds like myself do not wander too much... my two cents...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Yes Aman Ji you are correct.
Those tuks are written by Guru nanak ji or Guru Amardass Ji or Guur Arjun Ji sahib to elaborate on some point that is perhaps not so clearly explained by Bahgat Farid Ji or Kabir Ji.
In one slok Bhagat Farid Ji says he would like to get his BLOOD all out of his body..Guur Amardass ji elaborates that this is not right as a human body cannot survive without BLOOD..what NEEDS to be removed is LOBH..GREED from Ones BLOOD !! ( its commonplace to mention.."bad blood". ( enmity)."white Blood" (corruption) etc..but its a fact of nature that Blood as a physical thing is vitla to life..BUT we can certainly remove Bad blood between two people, also we cna remove white blood by taking out corruption/greed and restore its health (better person)..so these are just Metaphors..

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
The Persian historian Farishta writes that Taimur Lang invaded India and reached Pak Pattan in in Punjab in A/D. 1318. Sa-ul-din a grand son of Sheikh Farid was on his spiritual throne. Guru Nanak was born in 1469 so he could not have met the original Sheikh Farid. It was Sheikh Brahm (Ibrahim) known as Farid the second, who had two discourses with Guru Nanak. It is said that it was him who wrote the hymns in AGGS but used the name of original Farid as I understand from the literature.

Virinder S. Grewal

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Persian historian Farishta writes that Taimur Lang invaded India and reached Pak Pattan in in Punjab in A/D. 1318. Sa-ul-din a grand son of Sheikh Farid was on his spiritual throne. Guru Nanak was born in 1469 so he could not have met the original Sheikh Farid. It was Sheikh Brahm (Ibrahim) known as Farid the second, who had two discourses with Guru Nanak. It is said that it was him who wrote the hymns in AGGS but used the name of original Farid as I understand from the literature.

Virinder S. Grewal

Let's focus on the bani not the body.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM