• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sexes Sitting Separately

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010

Sorry to bring this up nearly a year later... but since I have now been to Amritsar, I'd just like to ask... where on earth do people actually find a space to sit in the sanctum sanctorum at all!?? It was always so crowded that you could barely mathatek unless you could somehow make yourself into a pretzel and do it in the same space you use for standing! (somehow I managed haha) but I found actually there is more room on the second floor to actually sit. The bottom floor seems more a thoroughfare with an endless line of people that are ushered through as quick as possible (after an hour of waiting in a line up to get there).

In Bangla Sahib though, I noticed there was no male or female side... everyone sat everywhere... I actually found Bangla Sahib more peaceful for meditation / reflection. And Sis Ganj Sahib too for that matter...

Here is a pic I took on my way through the sanctum sanctorum to illustrate my point. You can barely see the tiny space on the right where the women are... I'd say maybe 10 people can sit there tops?? Since there are literally hundreds of people in the lineup at any given time (probably more like thousand), the fact that there is even a place to sit at all is a moot point.

p.s. I got a finger pointed at me for taking this... but it was worth it :winkingkaur:

Sat Sri Akaal,

Firstly Bowing Down(Matha Tek) and Folding Hands(Hath Jod) are spiritual exercise it connects +/- mind to neutralize and balance mind events, this exercise is not specific to religious space, and can be performed anywhere to balance positive/negative mind.

Our minds are do attached to religious actions, but understanding of body science and mind behind actions is very important, if one understands one's own mind, the crowds will disappear, sitting together or apart will not impact.

At places of religion to connect with our own mind is important, rather than sitting positions/ crowds.

If the event is missed, everything impacts, creates negativity.

MANDIR : Man Andir (Inside Mind)

HARMANDIR : ( One's Inside Mind )

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Firstly Bowing Down(Matha Tek) and Folding Hands(Hath Jod) are spiritual exercise it connects +/- mind to neutralize and balance mind events, this exercise is not specific to religious space, and can be performed anywhere to balance positive/negative mind.

well thanks very much, Ive just been thrown out of McDonalds!

I have to confess the way you describe it, it seems more of a meditation like ritual rather than the very simple way of showing reverence I always thought it was..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM