Self Confidence About The Way I Look And Feel | Sikh Philosophy Network
  • Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Self Confidence About The Way I Look And Feel

Currently reading:
Self Confidence About The Way I Look And Feel

Avneett

SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am a Sikh and I was born in a Western country, my dad came here the hard way and my dad is a non turban man. I go to school here, and all the Sikh girls cut there hair and shave their legs. Looking at them I always get that feeling of want, I want to look good and look socially acceptable to other people like they do! But I am not allowed to cut my hair or shave any parts of my body. I on the other hand have a strong connection with our religion, i'm proud and yet I feel ashamed....

I'm suffering from many self-esteem problems, and I keep thinking of the way the Sikh girls look at my legs... What do I do?

gjsingh

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013
It is better to stand out by being true to yourself than to to blend in to the crowd by sinking to the lowest common denominator. You ask the question which you have yourself answered: "I on the other hand have a strong connection with our religion" ... What is the basis of that strong connection? Are you willing to sever that for the praise of the crowd? What choice will pay the most dividends?

You should not feel ashamed at all for asking these questions. At your age it is totally natural to be questioning these kinds of things, learning to negotiate social situations, and finding out who you truly are (as opposed to what your parents, or your peers think you should be.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.