• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Scientific Error In The GGS

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
Sath shri Akal

i am very interessted in science as i am a science student, and as the GGS contains correct scientefic theories , it has made me hunger more for the GGS ...

but today i read this.

Page 396, Line 4
ਦਸੀ ਮਾਸੀ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਬਾਲਕ ਜਨਮੁ ਲੀਆ ॥
दसी मासी हुकमि बालक जनमु लीआ ॥
dasee maasee hukam baalak janam lee-aa.
In the tenth month, by the Lord's Order, the baby has been born.
Guru Arjan Dev

modern science says that babies are born after 9 months..

isent this a error then in the GGS?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Amardeep said:
Page 396, Line 4
Guru Arjan Dev

Close enough though Amardeep, and besides, at the time the SGGs was written, there was probably baby's being born on the 10 month, it could possibly even be the ideal time anyways.

I don't think it's a good idea to point out or put the guru under scrutiny like this.

Just a suggestion. :)

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Amardeep said:
Sath shri Akal

i am very interessted in science as i am a science student, and as the GGS contains correct scientefic theories , it has made me hunger more for the GGS ...

but today i read this.

Page 396, Line 4
Guru Arjan Dev

Dear Brother Amardeep ji

First I would like to deal with your query about the Birth of child

Normal gestation period of Human is 280 days in case of normal pregnancy which exactly comes out to be 9 months and 7 days

And it means that child should always be born in the 10 month ( after completion of 9 month)

I hope this would solve your query

Now dear brother I would like to advise you with help pf my little brain and understanding given by the Akal
that Gurbani is not meant to be taken as literal wriring which you keep on trying and testing with scientific beleifs instead the mesage given should be contemplated

This also differentiate us fron muslim veiw of literal interpretation of turah , kuran
And also such physiologic processes in human body do undergo changes with period of time ( several hundered years ) just for example the age of sexual maturity has changed significantly over the last few decade

Dan Guru Granth Sahib talks to human soul/spirit and not the human body as understood by me

I could be wrong in my views and suggestions so just take what ever you like ans leave the rest

May Akal bless You

Jatinder Singh

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
thanks for your answers...
well if a woman is pregnant for 9 months and 7 days, then the quote should be scienticicaly correct..

there are two ways on reading a script..
the spiritual way where u read the message in the text.
and the theorotical way where u analyse the text..

i do both...

:)

WGJKKWGJKF

SPNer
Jan 16, 2006
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Just realised what ive just written has already been mentioned above... so ive edited lol

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Dec 8, 2005
Dear brother

the answer to the query is very simple

lunar months
9 months and 7 days for a term baby
a posterm baby
babies born in high speed vehichles can have pthenomenon of " Time dilation " under Uncle Einstein's theory.
Future evolved species.

All can explain it.

Sikhs have an implicit faith in science.

SSAKAL
WGKWGF

luv
hps62

Aug 13, 2004
US
Total pregnancy is 40 weeks as per gestational age method, week one begins with the first day of mother's menstrual period....that makes it 10 months. Even if we leave 2 weeks before the day of conception, still the full-term baby is born in 10th month, after completeing 9 months.

bss12

SPNer
Apr 5, 2006
I was born after ten months not including the periods and stuff a full ten months and ten days. It doesnt really matter some babies were born in 5 or 6 months. If you read guru granth saib ji you have to take it as god's word. You cannot read gurbai with a scientific mind. The facts will never match. Wherever science is you cannot be religious. it is better to not read then read with a scientific mind. You will get no benefit and u will get paap for questioning guru jis word. It is hard for many but you can do it i take biology but i never compare the too. If guru said it takes ten months then at one time it did and it mite again.Gurbani is the ultimate truth no amount of science can ever prove or diprove it. It is true now has been true befor enad or ages too come until the world ends it will still be ture. And we mite have interpreted it wrong. We can only guess what the gurus ment in any of their banis. Only they know and they will always know we can never completely know what they mean. Plus never try to understand gurbani from 2 sentences that is were ppl. make th emost mistakes. Alwalys read the entire paragraph and get the meaning of that. That is just a hint.
Fateh Ji

21khalsa13

HRH
SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
on earth
sat shri akal,

i dont entireky agree with these last post.
in the past the east an attitude has existed of total acceptance.
the elders would say and the youngest would fully accept.
this was great when pure ideals were held but this also became the start of socail control factors.

we live today with our western mind set developing in the east - this is tradional to question - why??

although i throughly accept what needed here is total acceptance
but if we add scientific modes of thinking to our practice we will develop what is tradtional called
miri - piri

we need to learn how to use our whole mind and then focus our whole minds
if we accept fully what is written in the bani, but use scientific minds to understand fully this is the only way to one understand that the sggs is above and beyond any scientific discipline.
also how to connect to our younger generation who being brought up in the west or western eductaion system will want their questions answered - they want and need growth they thriving for it
the old ways of 'it is because it is' won't wash anymore.
we need to dig deep. all the answers are present we need to search harder open our minds. else we lose the essence. science is only a tool for sharpen the sword.
making miri - piri link stronger.

Perdip

SPNer
Jan 7, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ke phateh

Science is 'Maya' but the logical way of thinking can also be a way of pondering over God's creation, providing you are not trying to prove that it does or does not relate to a Supreme Being, which is what todays scientosts are almost conluding to but still questioning what this Super Energetic force could be? Lets not get stuck into science so much that we are entangled in the jaal of maya and lets spend more time on seva, simran and begging for the sanghats charna ki dhoor.

May God Bless all and Guide all to the Truth and give us True understanding of SGGS.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ke phateh

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Although I have not fully verified this, the discrepancy in the 10 months may be due to the difference in the Sikh Calander. I would presume Guru Ji would be making reference to the Sikh Calander in the tukh.

chk1

SPNer
Nov 25, 2006
Guru Ji was right! Technically pregnancy lasts 10 months, but it can vary from woman to woman and depends on her pregnancy.

wayfarer

SPNer
Feb 16, 2011
THe months and the years you guys are referring to are Gregorian calendars (christianity calendars generally). In real, there are 13 months approx in a year (each month is 28 days corresponding to 14 days of waxing moon, and 14 days of waning moon).
THerefore a human gestation period (pregnancy) to delivery IS 280 days = 10 months of ACTUAL 28 days period of each month. That is what the Guruji is talking about....
THE REAL MONTHS....not the human created months as per Gregorian calendars.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Sath shri Akal

but today i read this.

Page 396, Line 4
Guru Arjan Dev

Amardeep ji, you need to ensure that you read the right books the right way for the right reason. If you are a Sikh don't be tempted by other religions and their propaganda that all the science is included say in the Koran, Vedas, etc.

Sri Guru Granth Saahib ji does not propose or substantiate a scientific theory per se or provide scientific details. All shabads and the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is a way through self discovery and self realization discovery of what is around and about. You cannot create a cheat sheet of facts by taking lines here or there to learn about biology, material sciences, thermodynamics or hydraulics. Any good treatise used poorly in such endeavors is a shame.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Just Google and on each and every medical site you will find the following statement...
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Your due date is typically calculated based on the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP). Pregnancy is 266 days from conception, or about 280 from your LMP. This is 40 weeks or 9 months (give or take a few weeks).>>>>>>>>>>>..

Note the words in brackets.....in red. 9 Months is just a rough estimate. 10 months is a more reliable figure to keep in mind....simply because not many women even today can reliably say when they actually got pregnant.

Nit picking and splitting hairs - one so inconsequential as this one is an exercise in futility. Btw there are "arguments" raised each year in my Country about whether its 60th Year of Independence or 61st.....(Date of Independence 31st August, 1957) Each Year some say its 60th and others say NO its 61st...and this will GO ON till kingdom come.( just an EXAMPLE of how people SPLIT HAIRS on a non-issue).

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Amardeep made the original charge about a scientific error back in March of 2006. Every poster after that either talked about the calendar differential (Hindu of Gurus' time versus Gregorian internationally used). Or the poster talked about the imprecision regarding the length of a pregnancy based on knowing the date of conception. Today we have been covering old territory. Myself included.

Since this is an old thread, and the points have been made very clearly that Amardeep was misleading himself from the start, it is not necessary to continue.

I am not even sure why some of these old threads are brought to life years later, beating a dead horse.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Spnadmin writes..

<<<<< I am not even sure why some of these old threads are brought to life years later, beating a dead horse. >>>>>>>

Well well..may I suggest an answer ? Its because the "newest" kid on the block..just happened to be passing by....and OH Boy..he saw a dead horse...lying by the wayside...and begins to flog it back to life...while the regulars know the horse has been dead for years...!! Thats All...To quote Gurbani.."Mera SPN..nit navaan !!" the way SPN is...its Brand New to many wayfarers..passing by for the first time...and rather than going thru the "thread".... thoroughly..... some pick up the keyboard.....and write whatever comes to mind..and Hey Presto..a dead horse is being flogged once more.
Sometimes its exciting too....some "dead horses" do "shake" momentarily even after years of rigor mortis !! he he he... For many its sheer Fun and Glorious seeing ones "creativity" on the Net in full public view..i know the feeling..it used to be exhilirating decades ago...so lets be a tiny bit..laid back..please !! Let everyone have the fun of being a participant..a writer...a contributor...japposatnamwaheguru:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Gyani Jarnail Singh ji me being new here I have tried to read most of the first pages of thread listings. It is like reading so many different books at times. Interaction makes bit more enriching for new at the expense of irritating the not so newpeacesign

I will try not to rehash much myself!

Sat Sri akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM