• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Satnav Of The Self

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
I journey home my Self, I’m the soul occupant in the vehicle ,religion is the Satnav that guides me ,it is for the internal journey . The one eternal satellite informs us through the Satnav of the way,this vehicle I must leave but do I take the Satnav with me or do I only take the journey?
Incomplete due to posters block

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Here is a thought experiment. Short.

First question. What meaning are we applying here for sat nav?

Second question. Is sat nav a who, a what, or a how?

Thired queston: So, how did Buddha proceed on his journey,? with or without satnav?

Once deciding on answers to questions 1 through 3, can we answer these same questions in relation to Guru Nanak? Does it matter?

Can we apply our answers to ourselves? Does it matter?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Do you know how long it took me to realise 'satnav' isn't an Indian word I haven't heard before? haha

I would speculate your body is the driver/vehicle, your soul is the satnav, Guruji is the satellite giving your soul directions (you can still choose to go your own way of course), and Waheguru is the creation through which you journey.

This reminds me of an Audioslave song.. "I am not your rolling wheels, I am the highway, I am not your carpet ride, I am the sky". I don't know why.

Today, I am one of these people who thinks I don't continue on when the vehicle runs out of fuel. I just dissolve into creation from whence I came, vehicle and satnav and all.

Added after though: I missed that Sinner ji had said satnav was religion. I don't know where religion fits into my version of the metaphor. I effectively cut religion out of the equation! Perhaps, to borrow from Harry's metaphor in another thread, religion is the service manual for your vehicle? Keep the tyres inflated, change the oil, and it will be easier for your vehicle to follow the satnav (soul?).

I will now ponder on SPNadmin ji's thought exercise, although I might skip straight to Guru Nanak as I don't know much about Buddha, sorry.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
When the vehicle runs out of fuel, you put more fuel in it, but when the engine seizes, we will put you on ebay as parts, and bits of you will live on in other peoples cars, where your parts will provide useful service.

When a car gets broken up, what happens to the smell, the smell of the leather, of the engine, of the interior, no car I have ever owned has ever smelt the same as any other car, it is the first thing I do when I get in a car, not a new car, as it has no history, it has not driven anyway, new cars all smell the same, beats me why people buy new, but go into a 10 year old car that as had a life, and been looked after, and the smell, the smell describes everything that car went through, all its experiences, all its moments of hurtling down the M1 at 150mph, or of toodling in traffic at 10mph, every accident, every bit of polish, its all there in the smell,

So when every part, every tyre, every panel has been integrated into another car, the smell, what happens to the smell, it just wafts of into the air, and every now and then, you might be on a beach, you might be on holiday, you might be in bed, but every now and then you will catch a smell, and say, that was my car

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Well the satnav itself is just a mechanical piece of machinery that would be useless if it were not getting the GPS signals from the big satellite. When the car has been broken up, the respective parts then have to obey another cars satnav, but say a road based Range Rover may get the winch from a farm based Range Rover, which although then obeying the satnav from the new car, would still have its own history.

Once a car has been broken up, it gets the signals from the satellite directly and has no need for a mechanical device to pick up the GPS.

In sweden the word pertaining to sense of smell is actually Olafactory, and the word for short peoples smelling is Elfactory, In Australia, I understand the word is pronounced Rolfactory, and if your skin has a bluish tinge its smurfactory

(delete away adminji, if lowering the post)

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self

First question. What meaning are we applying here for sat nav?Religion

Second question. Is sat nav a who, a what, or a how?Who is you What is truth how is Sadhana

Thired queston: So, how did Buddha proceed on his journey,? with or without satnav? He was travelling by factory fitted version.

Once deciding on answers to questions 1 through 3, can we answer these same questions in relation to Guru Nanak? Does it matter? pass

Can we apply our answers to ourselves? Does it matter? It does not matter
Sorry I was short on time ,I did my best ,Thank you Spn friends for atleast reading my musings,Guru Nanak provided the Satnav,the vehicle is the body.Driver/Interpreter is the Self.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
as the post is personal to us, and our answers and interpretation will be personal, I hope you do not mind sinnerji, if I also answer, as Ishnabhenji has already,

First question. What meaning are we applying here for sat nav? I think this is the Gurus voice inside your head, a small part of the WaheGuru (Creator)

Second question. Is sat nav a who, a what, or a how? it is the direction that will give the best chance of a life as WaheGuru Intended

Thired queston: So, how did Buddha proceed on his journey,? with or without satnav? without, Buddha did not believe in Waheguru

Once deciding on answers to questions 1 through 3, can we answer these same questions in relation to Guru Nanak? Guru Nanak did not invent the satnav anymore than Newton 'invented' gravity, all he did was tell us how to switch it on.Does it matter? Yes, some people are not even aware that in their satnav setting, there is access to a database of all possible routes, instead they rely on paths they have taken before

Can we apply our answers to ourselves?I Think so, our answers will indicate whether we are following Waheguru or ourselves Does it matter? Yes, if it did not mater we run the risk of never knowing about the cosmic database

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

First question. What meaning are we applying here for sat nav?

Second question. Is sat nav a who, a what, or a how?

Thired queston: So, how did Buddha proceed on his journey,? with or without satnav?

Once deciding on answers to questions 1 through 3, can we answer these same questions in relation to Guru Nanak? Does it matter?

Can we apply our answers to ourselves? Does it matter?

Some quick answers:

1) Religion/Spiritual path
2) How
3) I guess He was the equivalent of an explorer going into uncharted or little known territory, making it possible for others to be aware of the journey which they could then try to follow as well via their own Satnavs....

In a similar fashion, the Gurus and other enlightened individuals throughout history are all spiritual explorers travelling to distant realms and forging a path for us to follow...showing that if they can do it, we can as well ....

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
I journey home my Self, I’m the soul occupant in the vehicle body ,the religion of truth is the Satnav that guides me ,it is for the internal journey . The one eternal creator of natural satellites informs me through mt Satnav ,this Sat is unchanging no matter what Nav I take and this vehicle I shall leave but will I take the Satnav with me or shall I only take the journey?

Added some detail could not add to original as locked

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM