• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hinduism Sanatan Dharma And Hinduism

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Dogra ji

Does Sanatan Dharma allow people to practice other religions together with Hinduism? For instance, if someone felt both Christianity and Sanatan Dharma were the spiritual path they would like to take, would this be frowned upon or accepted?

I know Bede Griffiths included some teachings and practicing from Sanatan Dharma along with Catholicism.

One more question. I know that many prefer Sanatan Dharma to Hinduism. So rather than be called a Hindu, which would be more appropriate?

<3 Nam Jiwan :)

Sanatan Dharma is a pluralistic faith.
Sanatan Dharma is for all time for people of that faith. Poeple have free choice to follow religion that suits ttem

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Re: Sikhism and Hinduism

Sat Nam _/|\_
Does Sanatan Dharma allow people to practice other religions together with Hinduism? For instance, if someone felt both Christianity and Sanatan Dharma were the spiritual path they would like to take, would this be frowned upon or accepted?

'Sanatan Dharma' and 'Hinduism' both signify essentially the same thing, they are used synonymously.
The word' Sanatan Dharma' or 'Arya Dharma' gained much popularity as a synonym for 'Hinduism' during medieval revival movements..
I practice, they both are the same..

* On the question of Sanatam Dharma allowing simultaneous pratiicing of other faiths. Even if it did, would other faiths allow simultaneous observance of 'Sanatan Dharma' or 'Hinduism'? I doubt it..

sanj007

SPNer
Dec 13, 2010

Sat Nam _/|\_

Dogra ji

I know Bede Griffiths included some teachings and practicing from Sanatan Dharma along with Catholicism.

One more question. I know that many prefer Sanatan Dharma to Hinduism. So rather than be called a Hindu, which would be more appropriate?

In Sanantan Dharma, there would be no frowning upon, as that is upto the indivudal themselves to decide their spiritual path, and as we are all individual human beings and not robots, we each decide what we want to individually follow.
In terms of the individual categorising as belongiong to sanatan dharma, and christianity as per your example, who cares we are all Gods children.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

Sat Nam _/|\_

Many religions claim to be this way, but Hinduism puts it in action so beautifully.

Here's to true tolerance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpVUih5nY9g&hd=1

In Sanantan Dharma, there would be no frowning upon, as that is upto the indivudal themselves to decide their spiritual path, and as we are all individual human beings and not robots, we each decide what we want to individually follow.
In terms of the individual categorising as belongiong to sanatan dharma, and christianity as per your example, who cares we are all Gods children.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Some questions for the sole purpose of getting focus on the thread topic. Traveling down the path of "sanatan dharma" is something of an off-topic detour in this thread because the original post was really about something quite different..

1. What and whose "sanatan dharma" are we discussing, or is any individual referring to when commenting?

2. Are Sikh/Hindus practicing "sanatam dharma" in any form? If they are, how?

3. How would "sanatan dharma" be the same thing as "Hinduism?" If there are 4 branches of what we today refer to as "Hinduism," and scores of sects within each branch, what of "sanatan dharma" do they have in common?

The meaning of "sanatan dharma" has changed over the centuries, depending on the group/s that adopt the name. There however may be some core ideas that are the same.

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

The most recent posts are now a new thread. It is probably a good idea to split the thread so a discussion of sanatan dharma can be discussed on its own steam.

sanj007

SPNer
Dec 13, 2010

Really? This one talks about how non-Hindus are not allowed in certain temples. And how they cannot be converted.

http://www.jaisiyaram.com/blog/reli...us-not-allowed-in-hindu-temples-6-jul-12.html

Well no doubt you can find some more fellows of hindu faith, seeing as they are nearly a billion Hindu faith people, whether all billion actually follow scriptural texts is another matter.
Scriptures do not bar anyone, as they are different paths to Lord :
They have called him Indra, Mitra, Varuna, Agni, and the divine fine-winged Garuda; They speak of Indra, Yama, Matrarisvan: the One Being sages call by many names.

4. Hinduism. Rig Veda 1.164.46
As Lord Krishna says God resides in hearts of all beings, no exceptions-simple really

sanj007

SPNer
Dec 13, 2010

Sanatan Dharma is as per Vedas script.
Yes there are sects within Sanantan Dharma, but scriptural source are Vedas
Anumber of non hindu indivudals like to tell Hindu faith their faith has changed and the like, well NO! our scriptures have provided us with messages!

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

Sat Nam _/|\_

Sorry about any way I have led us astray on the thread.

1. What and whose "sanatan dharma" are we discussing, or is any individual referring to when commenting?

I don't know enough about it to say.

2. Are Sikh/Hindus practicing "sanatam dharma" in any form? If they are, how?

I have had "love affairs" with Parvati. And I love the energy focus with Ganesh as obstacle remover and Saraswati as blessing learners. Brahman is a Divine Name/Entity I consider the equivalent of Allah, Neberdjer, etc., the Supreme Reality.

I worship God in Her Feminine Aspects in many ways so I often cry out "Jai Ma!" And for me Devi & Isis are synonymous (as in Isis Myrionymos, the Goddess of Thousands of Names)

3. How would "sanatan dharma" be the same thing as "Hinduism?" If there are 4 branches of what we today refer to as "Hinduism," and scores of sects within each branch, what of "sanatan dharma" do they have in common?

Bhakti and Naad Yoga are two ways I have experienced the various branches

Nam Jiwan :)

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Nam Jiwan Ji,
The concept that Hinduism or Sanatam Dharma holds any holistic value as compared to other religions is grossly incorrect. Hinduism is just another religion, not some 'holistic way of life' that can be practiced simultaneously with other religions. You may maintain your religion upto some point but after that you will have to denounce your previous religion for becoming a full-fledged Hindu. Hinduism may have its own beauties and rewards, but that's not the point I am going to touch.
Like other religious groups Hindus too identify themselves as one religion....and if you think Hinduism is extremely tolerant or something like that, here are some examples (Apologies to those who may feel offended...):-

* Attacks by large Hindu mobs began in the districts of Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Saberkantha and, for the first time in its history, Gandhinagar on 28 February. Violence spread to the largely rural districts of Panchmahals, Mehsana, Hasnot, Kheda, Junagadh, Banaskantha, Patan, Anand and Narmada the next day. Over the next two days, Bharuch and Rajkot and later Surat were hit.
The first incidents of attacks on the Muslim community started at Ahmedabad, where Hindus began throwing stones at and later burned a Muslim housing complex known as Gulburg Society, and then spread elsewhere. The initial violence was believed to be instigated by unsubstantiated rumours, endorsed by a senior VHP leader, of Muslims having kidnapped three Hindu girls during the Godhra train attack.
In Ahmedabad, the dargah of the Sufi saint-poet Wali Gujarati in Shahibaug and the 16th century Gumte Masjid mosque in Isanpur were destroyed. The Muhafiz Khan Masjid at Gheekanta was ransacked. Police records list 298 dargahs, 205 mosques, 17 temples and three churches as damaged in the months of March and April.
(Christophe Jaffrelot (July 2003). "Communal Riots in Gujarat: The State at Risk?")

* Whoever kills the sons of the snakes(Sikhs), I will reward them. Whoever kills Roshan Singh and Bagh Singh will get 5000 rupees each and 1000 rupees each for killing any other Sikhs. You can collect these prizes on November 3, 1984 from my personal assistant Jai Chand Jamadar.
-Speech by Sajjan Kumar, A Hindu Congress leader

* the Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Bajrang Dal called for a statewide shutdown on Monday, 25 August 2008. On the same day, rioters attacked a Christian missionary orphanage at Khuntpalli village in Bargarh district. An employee and a prospective convert, a local Hindu, was killed when the orphanage was set on fire.
("VHP activists set fire to orphanage, burn nun to death in Orissa - National News – News – MSN India - News". News.in.msn.com. Retrieved 2008-09-18.)

Hindu extremism and totalitarian philosophy is on the rise, especially after the advent of the 20th century. Anyone may throw some good sounding quotes from the Vedas or other religious texts, we can play with them all day. But the ground realities are harsh, and even harsher for those who try to deny them....

sanj007

SPNer
Dec 13, 2010
Nam Jiwan Ji,
..and if you think Hinduism is extremely tolerant or something like that, here are some examples (Apologies to those who may feel offended...):-

Sanatan Dharma, hinduism real name, is as per scriptures, which is a pluralistic faith. The extremist groups you have mentioned do not follow scriptures, and they are condenmed.
Are you saying that every faiths extremists groups replicate the scriptures.
Or do they use faith to serve their agendas...
Scriptural facts speak for themselves, not corrupt vile individuals!

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Aristotle ji

I prefer not to engage in all the accusations against various religions (though I'm guilty of speaking negatively of other religions, I am trying to learn to live in a way that I recognize unity in diversity and diversity in unity). Chances are, every religion has some bad eggs and some difficult verses in their Holy Books.

If God is in all, God is in each of the accusations we make & I dwell too much on judging others. Its a hard habit for me to break, but worth all the effort.

I made an affirmation card for myself yesterday to help me remember: "Love them anyway". peacesignkaur

Blessed be....
Nam Jiwan

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
_/|\_ Sat Nam (I Bow to Your True Identity)

Dogra ji

Could you tell me more about the concept of Seva in Sanatan Dharma? I would like to learn what the Holy Books have said about it. Does it mean the same as seva in Sikhi? And does it hold the same value?

Seva is probably a universal teaching. Probably all religions have teachings on this.

I used to feel a lot of upset inside because I'm basically a shut-in during the week. I don't drive, etc., but I realized there were plenty of opportunities for seva...I just had to be willing to see them and accept the role of giving when the opportunities arrive.

Even if it is to spend time in prayer, asking for peace, wellness, healing for others. I know that some ppl here consider that a waste of time, but I don't. I believe that we see the world more clearly when we close our earthly eyes and try to experience others via the heart vs. the body's senses.

In reality, that is who we are, imho. I know that this is not everyone's belief, but it is mine. We are not what our bodies present us as. We are the experiences of our souls.

peacesignkaur Nam Jiwan

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Sat Nam _/|\_

Aristotle ji

I prefer not to engage in all the accusations against various religions (though I'm guilty of speaking negatively of other religions, I am trying to learn to live in a way that I recognize unity in diversity and diversity in unity). Chances are, every religion has some bad eggs and some difficult verses in their Holy Books.

Nam Jiwan Ji,
I was certainly not talking about the 'bad eggs' and 'love them anyway' is my concept too, otherwise I could never have read the Bible, Qur'an, Zend Avesta and Tao te ching.
My argument was that Hinduism, even while it is a pluralistic faith, practicing it with some other religion simultaneously is highly incompatible. There is no limit to absorbing good qualities from other religions, but that's not my point.
All religions came from different(and unique) lines of thought, 'came from a single source' is certainly not true. Every religion has its own aspirations and rewards.
Sorry if I may sound harsh(because I definitely don't want to sound that way), but the concept of a 'Hindu-Christian', 'Sikh-Buddhist' may theoretically sound very good and hearty, in reality is nothing but the height of idealism.
Hinduism, like any other religion, may have its unique understanding and I respect that.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Sanatan Dharma, hinduism real name, is as per scriptures, which is a pluralistic faith. The extremist groups you have mentioned do not follow scriptures, and they are condenmed.
Please give some examples of any Hindu groups who follow the 'scriptures' in reality. That would be of much help.

sanj007

SPNer
Dec 13, 2010
_/|\_ Sat Nam (I Bow to Your True Identity)

Could you tell me more about the concept of Seva in Sanatan Dharma? I would like to learn what the Holy Books have said about it. peacesignkaur Nam Jiwan

As regards Sanatan dharma, sewa comes from one of main part of the faith and that is Karma Yoga-selfless service without expectation of rewards:
http://www.santosha.com/philosophy/gita-chapter3.html

1. Therefore, always perform your duty efficiently
    and without attachment to the results,
    because by doing work without attachment one attains the Supreme.
    [*]
    [*]
    King Janaka and others attained perfection
    by Karma-yoga alone.
    You should perform your duty with a view to guide people
    and for the universal welfare (of the society).

1. Because, whatever noble persons do, others follow.
    Whatever standard they set up, the world follows.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM